Thread: Skiing at Snow Shoe

Smile Skiing at Snow Shoe

I'm heading out to Snow Shoe mountain this weekend for a fun weekend of skiing, boozing, football and hanging out. I'm from colorado and consider myself a skiing snob. For instance, I skiied White Tale and Camel Back last year and even though the company i was with was good, i decided its not worth my time money and time to ski the hills out here. I'm going to Snow Shoe becuase i didnt have any other Super Bowl plans, but more importantly i had a lot of good friends going and if the skiing sucks atleast i can drink smoke and chill with my buddies. I'm a social person and spending time with good people will usually be enough to get me to go with the group, hence east coast skiing. So has anyone skiied snow shoe yet and can tell me about it? Also what is the resort like? is it cool or filled with snobby people, like me ? Also what about bars, liquer stores and cigar bars/stores? Any thing about those? Well I'd love some feed back and it would be interesting to hear of other peoples super bowl plans!

Blog Entries

I went skiing at SnowShoe back in 1990, so my knowledge is a little bit dated. We went on a 2-day trip there and stayed in some of their cheap lodging which was just down the hill from their mountain lodge, I believe. I remember three things about the trip:

1. I believe it was the Western Area where I learned a lot about skiiing on ice. I saw these big wide slopes with only a couple of people skiiing. I decided that I would go see why. Let's just say that I'm not and never was a very good skiier anyway. An amateur like me on ice should be video-taped. SCRAPE-SLAM-SLIDE-REPEAT. That run, whatever it is, is very long when you are seeing the ground every 20 feet.

2. There was a long stairway down to where we were lodging. I needed to go back to the room for something, money I believe. I had locked my skiis up top and was walking down this long set of stairs with my boats on. About 4 steps down, my boot caught on the wood somehow. I then went down those 60+ stairs in about 4 seconds. I never fell just jumped down 4 or 5 stairs at a time trying to keep my feet under me. Again, it would have been worthy of video-taping.

3. The one night we were there, we went to the lodge bar. There are probably several of them now as the place has grown. They had a DJ playing dance music. We had a blast and got pretty hammered. Everyone was very friendly. I can't say if they were skiiing snobs or not, but they didn't mind buying rounds and we sure had a good time.

With that being said, I'd say that you will probably have a fair time depending on the snow conditions. I know they have a few good runs, but it seemed like too few overall. The atmosphere in their village was great IMO though. I say you will have a great time socializing and probably not all that good of a skiiing experience. I'd bring some good cigars and plenty of cash for booze. Of course, I could be completely wrong since it's been a long time since I've been there and 16 years is a very long time.

Either way, let us know how it goes.
    puro pot pass VI loser

If nothing else i'll find every bar in town. I have to say that the people you find in most ski towns are some of the most laid back, easy going people who seam to have it all right. It makes me want to give up what i have going for me, pick up everything i own and move to the moutain. I get the same feeling when i go to a scuba diving center on the islands. What can i say, I'm chasing a dream, i guess thats why I'm naming my first born Jimmy Buffett! (Jane Buffett if its a chick). Well Icy East Cost "Snow" be damned I'm off to have some fun.

I went to Snow Shoe awhile back. It is to the east so you have ice, other than that I don't really remember, so I'm sure it was just mediocre skiing. I know it wasn't bad or anything though, just nothing that really jumps out at me right now.
    End of line.

Thread Information