Padron 6000 (Nicaragua) and Superbowl XL
Posted By Admin On 7th February 2006 @ 06:37 In Cigar Reviews

Midnight was approaching (in Europe) and the local programming coming to an end when I went to my humidor to chose a good companion for what was to be an all-nighter of NFL madness; yes, the greatly anticipated Superbowl XL was finally here.

I looked around and picked the Padron 6000 I had kept in my humidor for a couple of weeks, and dare I say, it proved a worthy companion.

The P6000 It is a torpedo shaped cigar with a very sharply pointed cap. From the get go, the construction spoke for itself. A nice dark wrapper on a cigar that felt solid, yielding dark earthy tones on the pre-light. I knew I had a solid one here.

Lighting it up was a breeze and the burn was good; correcting itself along the way every time a slight unevenness developed. The draw on this one was a bit loose for my taste but in general this cigar is often accused of having a tight draw, so I didn't complain.

The flavor, though not extraordinary, was distinct, and rich. A rather pungent aroma and taste of cedar with plenty of leather and spice dominated the flavor pretty much from start to finish. I noticed that the taste did not get more complex or stronger in the last third. In fact, I would say it only got smoother and maybe even a tad creamy in before the end… and believe me, I took this one to the bitter end.

As for the ash, it was not as solid as I have seen, but it definitely held on for a good while, down to almost half way before falling off.

The finish was medium with predominantly cedar tones and some nuts. A very good cigar overall, and worth a try by anyone with a penchant for fuller bodied cigars. It is only perhaps a bit overpriced.