Thread: Bloom or mold

Default Bloom or mold

I just received a very nice 1997 macanudo as a gift :)
    Its in a glass container and I can see a round dusty/fuzzy patch about 6mm in diameter on the cigar :(

Now I am not sure if this is bloom or mold. Should I take the cigar out of the tube and put it in my humidor or......
    I would really like to smoke this so if it is mold is it safe to even smoke!?

Blog Entries

Here is some great information provided by Kayakinboy (Includes pictures): Post #14
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Also, here is an excerpt from http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/ci...age/index.html:

Q: My cigars have something on them. How can I tell if it is mold or bloom?

A: Bloom, also called plume, is a grey/white residual powder that is left from the cigar's essential oils drying on its surface, and is considered a very good sign that the proper aging is taking place. Not all cigars develop bloom, but those that are heavy in oils almost always do over time.

Mold always has some body to it, it is actually a three dimensional "fuzz." Typically it grows rather quickly once it occurs. Also it is commonly green, green/blue, or green/yellow in color.

Typically plume will cover almost evenly all the air-exposed sides of a cigar whereas mold will begin growing on just one part and spread from there.

If you still can't the difference I suggest you quarantine the potential problem cigars to their own tupperdor for a couple of weeks. After which you should be able to tell if it has continued to grow as mold would.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q: Okay, it is mold... now what?

A: You can just brush the mold off and smoke them anyway. I have smoked a bunch of vintage cigars that have had some mold on them. It takes considerable mold and time to impact the flavor of the cigar - the biggest factor being whether they have molded on the interior. If so they are goners, if not you can just gently brush the mold off with a soft dry cloth. However, you should quarantine them from your other cigars to prevent it from spreading to them.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Thanks for info but I still cant decide
    But I have a baaaad feeling its mold and if its can I smoke it?
    Have a look at the attachement and let me know....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moldOrPlume.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	222  

Mold!!!!!!

Bloom is not fuzzy!!! Bloom, Plume, is more like a crystal!!!!!

Sorry...
    "Let me tell you something pendejo. If you try any of that crazy **** with us, you flash your piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you and stick it up your a$$ and pull the trigger until it goes click."
    Jesus from The Big Lebowski

:(

Ok its mold but can I smoke it if I scrape it off?

Go ahead if you want to, if you think it tastes fine more power to you. If you light it up and it tastes like crap put it out. Just a little warning mold grows because there is too much moisture so let it dry a bit...
    "Let me tell you something pendejo. If you try any of that crazy **** with us, you flash your piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you and stick it up your a$$ and pull the trigger until it goes click."

Blog Entries

Personally, I'd pull that bad boy out, wipe off the mold and smoke the crap out of it!

IF it tastes bad, which I bet it won't, you can just toss it because it was obviously beyond hope.

Don't feel bad about getting something with mold on it. I just got a 5-Pack of RyJ Clemenceau Tubos with a fair amount of mold. The thing is, a couple of those cigars appear to have bloom on them as well. Of course, I only know what I've seen and what I've read. I know there are plenty of FOGs out there who can tell you the exact deal, which I believe you will find in the link that I forwarded you from Kayakinboy.

I recommend that you read it before you ask any more questions because it THOROUGHLY covers whether you can or cannot smoke a moldy cigar as well as just about every other question you might have with regards to mold. However, if you are opposed to reading, the consensus appears to be that all those who have smoked a moldy cigar have not had ANY problems. They all agreed, though, that if mold gets inside the cigar, it is a "no-go"; toss it out. Also, a large number of people cannot get past the idea of smoking something with mold on it; putting in their mouths and breathing in possible mold spores.

(Note: To those people, I can only say that I've had a LOT of things worse than a little mold in my mouth before and NO, it wasn't a penis or any other part of a man; I can't comment on other mammals, however. (That was a joke, no mammals either))
    puro pot pass VI loser

Ok found out where the guys got the cigar and took it back to the store, the lady behind the counter said o no thats caused by oils!
    O noooo I said thats mold, she didn't really argue when I said mold is fuzzy and oils cause plume which is crystalline, she just swapped it for me :)

Now I have a nice aged Macanudo to look forward to with no bleamishes

Only one question now though, do I leave it in the glass tube which is sealed or take it out and put it in my humidor to get some fresh air??

Cheers for the help guys,
    Iain

I leave mine sealed. Personal preference.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by isimpson
    Ok found out where the guys got the cigar and took it back to the store, the lady behind the counter said o no thats caused by oils!
    O noooo I said thats mold, she didn't really argue when I said mold is fuzzy and oils cause plume which is crystalline, she just swapped it for me :)

Now I have a nice aged Macanudo to look forward to with no bleamishes

Only one question now though, do I leave it in the glass tube which is sealed or take it out and put it in my humidor to get some fresh air??

Cheers for the help guys,
    Iain
    Glad it worked out for you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by isimpson
    Glad it worked out for you.

Personal preference - PM'd another BOTL here on it. Cellphone and glass tubes (assuming you have a cork at the top) can "breathe" so they'll still be getting some air. Couple considerations - do you want the various sticks to "marry" and do you have the room. I personally don't like cellophane but I like tubes (but that is aesthetic) - only now getting rid of some tubes b/c I need to make room in my humi.

Thread Information