Thread: Questions for everyone

Default Questions for everyone

OK folks, I was talking to a friend the other day, and he was asking why couldn't he use just plain tap water and I kept telling him that he needs to use distilled. He was wanting to just use tap water and throw away his floral foam every now and then (his wife is a florest so he can get as much as he wants). I didn't have an answer for him. I know that using tap water will cause build up on the humidifier, but would it do anything else? Hurt the cigars in anyway? I just know to use distilled water and didn't really ask any questions. Thanks.
    "Frankenstien never scared me. Marsupials do, because they’re fast." - Kevin Pollak as Christopher Walken

Ever read a list of all the crap they put in drinking water? Doesn't go a long way to make your cigars taste or smell good, being all loaded up with chlorine and flouride and who knows what else.

Yep thats about it!!!
    "Let me tell you something pendejo. If you try any of that crazy **** with us, you flash your piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you and stick it up your a$$ and pull the trigger until it goes click."
    Jesus from The Big Lebowski

All of the mineral deposits from tap water will ultimately clog the humidification device.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

5. Default

Eh, you might be able to get away with it, but is it really worth saving a buck fitty for a gallon of distilled water?

Honestly , the only real danger filtered well water should afford is bacteria or spores. City water will have trace amounts of chemicals. Both will have dissolved minerals, but that's it. The risks are minor at best.

The thing with distilled water is consistency and a negligible price. It costs you practically nothing to make the previous risks non-existant. Some may consider it a pain to store and use a jug instead of the tap.

Both arguments are valid, so I say just let him do what he want's and mind your own business. Give him your opinion once and just let him be.

If you have to use tap water,boil it for 15minutes and save in a decontaminated container or jar.
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

I probably isnt going to make a bit of differnce, think of the number of chemicals that go into making the humidification device.

I always use distilled water. Too many chemicals in tap water.

"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
    - Mark Twain

10. Default

How to Condition Your Humidor
    From your Cigars Guide

How to Condition Your Humidor

Difficulty Level: Easy Time Required: 26 hours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's How:
    With a nice soft cloth moistened with distilled water, wipe the inside of your humidor down, not so much to clean it, but rather to put some moisture onto the surface of the wood.
    With your humidor now clean and moistened, you've reduced the probability of having dry wood suck the humidity from your cigars.
    Next, place your humidifier into a container of distilled water large enough to allow it to be submerged in the distilled water. Your humidifier may float, so turn it face down. Let it soak for an hour.
    Remove the humidifier from the water and shake off the excess water to make sure the unit isn't overly wet.
    Return the humidifier to its proper place inside the humidor, close the lid, and wait 24 hours or so. This fully conditions the inside of your humidor and it is now ready for use.

Tips:

Calibrate your hygrometer at least once a year. I recommend twice a year.
    Never use tap water in your humidifier. The mineral deposits can damage your hygrometer over time. They can also damage your humidifier and leave unpleasant tastes and odors on your cigars.

Thread Information