Thread: Newbie Questions

1. Default Newbie Questions

Ok, im new to the cigar world. Ive been enjoying a box of Helix Coronas the last week or so.

So heres the stupid questions:

1. Cubans. Im in the Navy. Im going to Guam and thailand very soon. Im based in Japan. Where can I find/buy some good cubans and how can I tell that they are real?

2. Ive heard that there is weed in some cuban cigars, is this true? Remember, military and drugs are bad, m'kay.

3. I like the mild cigars. Im not ready for the big boys yet. Any recommendations?

Thanks, and dont make to much fun of me

The Montecristo No. 2 is a fantastic Cuban cigar. Also try the Partagas series D no. 2. These are not "mild" but they have a great taste. Vegas Robaina is a very mild Cuban smoke, IMHO.

I've never heard anything about Cubans containing "weed", so I don't think that's a problem. You realize, of course, that Cubans are illegal to possess by an American. You might want to be discreet about having them around your superiors. That being said, your superiors probably have a stash of their own!
    Tiny Tim
    (yeah, it's a play on words!)

http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

a good mild non cuban would be the arturo fuente 8-5-8. give one of those a try.

welcome to the board.

oh, a word about buying cubans, make sure it is an autherized (sp?) dealer. anything on the street is fake.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

To answer your first question, second part first, there is absolutely no way you can tell the difference between a fake and real Cuban cigar because of your limited experience with them. Bands, seals, chevrons, EVERYTHING else can be faked with exact precisions so the even a long time Habano smoker would be fooled. The only way an “expert” can be sure to tell the difference is in the flavor. Once you get a few years of Cuban cigar smoking under your belt, you’ll know too.

In light of that the ONLY place anyone should be buying Cuban cigars is at an LCDH. There are two in Thailand, one in Bangkok and one in Pattaya City. You can buy with much more assurance there than anywhere else in Asia. There is also one in Tokyo.

For milder cigars I would recommend the Quai D’orsay Corona. A fantastic cigar with lots of flavor. You could also get an El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme or anything from the Fonseca line.

There are no drugs in Cuban cigars. But, as Tim said, it is illegal for an American to purchase a Cuban cigar under any conditions.
    Captain, it is I!

5. Default

Phillie Blunts usually have some weed put in em as the tobacco they contain is unsmokable.

Quote Originally Posted by F.T. Pulver
    In light of that the ONLY place anyone should be buying Cuban cigars is at an LCDH. There are two in Thailand, one in Bangkok and one in Pattaya City. You can buy with much more assurance there than anywhere else in Asia. There is also one in Tokyo.
    The website is: http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/mundo_i.asp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim
    The Montecristo No. 2 is a fantastic Cuban cigar. Also try the Partagas series D no. 2. These are not "mild" but they have a great taste. Vegas Robaina is a very mild Cuban smoke, IMHO.

I've never heard anything about Cubans containing "weed", so I don't think that's a problem. You realize, of course, that Cubans are illegal to possess by an American. You might want to be discreet about having them around your superiors. That being said, your superiors probably have a stash of their own!

Vegas Robaina very "mild"???

Not weed - but there is talk that the one thing Cuban cigars have a fair amount of is Lithium. Apparently, Cuban soil is rich with it... Not sure if it's a rumor, but there is definitely something different about Cuban cigars.

Be careful you don't buy any from street vendors anywhere you go. They will be more than willing to sell you REAL "Cuban's". And if you REALLY want to know for sure - purchase the book, "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post Revolution Havana Cigars" by Min Ron Nee. Actual size color photos over every Cuban cigar out there - you can lay the suspected on against the one in the book and tell pretty quickly... The book is somewhere around $50, but may be a tad hard to find (well worth it, though)

8. Default

Thanks for the help! Ill have to keep this all in mind my next port visit!

Quote Originally Posted by F.T. Pulver
    But, as Tim said, it is illegal for an American to purchase a Cuban cigar under any conditions.
    Just to clarify - it is NOT ILLEGAL for an American to purchase a Cuban cigar under any conditions. You just cannot bring it/import it to the US (AOARoss, I don't know if base counts as "US"). Check out the link http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/al...ban_cigars.xml and make your own determination.

So when you're in Thailand or Japan, buy 'em, enjoy 'em, just don't take 'em back to base. And above all, don't advertise what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    Just to clarify - it is NOT ILLEGAL for an American to purchase a Cuban cigar under any conditions. You just cannot bring it/import it to the US (AOARoss, I don't know if base counts as "US"). Check out the link http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/al...ban_cigars.xml and make your own determination.

So when you're in Thailand or Japan, buy 'em, enjoy 'em, just don't take 'em back to base. And above all, don't advertise what you're doing.
    No, that's not true. From the Justice Dept's website.

! TRANSACTIONS INVOLVING PROPERTY IN WHICH CUBA OR A
    CUBAN NATIONAL HAS AN INTEREST - In addition to the prohibitions
    on exports to and imports from Cuba, the Regulations prohibit any
    person subject to U.S. jurisdiction from dealing in any property in which
    Cuba or a Cuban national has an interest. Under the Regulations,
    “property” includes but is not limited to contracts and services. For
    example, unless otherwise authorized, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction
    (including U.S. overseas subsidiaries) may not purchase Cuban
    cigars in Mexico;
    may not sign a contract with a U.K. firm if the contract
    terms include Cuba-related provisions(even if those provisions are
    contingent upon the lifting of the embargo); and may not provide
    accounting, marketing, sales, or insurance services to a Cuban company
    or to a foreign company with respect to the foreign company’s Cuba

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforce.../cuba/cuba.pdf
    Captain, it is I!

I stand corrected! So back to what I was saying, just don't advertise what you're doing.

Thread Information