Thread: Question?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Question?

Looking to step up on the TV front. I want to get something 42 inches or larger without spending a wing and a thigh. I would much rather invest in a large cigar cabinent or something of the like. I have no choice in the matter, so please help? HDTV, Plasma, LCD Projection etc. WTF? In my day, we did not even have remote controls. Looking for anyone to recommend a brand or make? Thanks in advance.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

HDTV for sure, no doubt, but when it comes to type, it all comes down to budget and space. If you have the space and want to save money, you can get 50-60" Rear Projection (non-DLP/LCD) HDTV's for 1500-2000. Check out Costco and Sam's Club. The downside is you're buying a traditional big screen, probably 2-3 feet deep and 4-6 feet tall. If space is a problem, then lcd projection, lcd and plasma are the way to go. The LCD projection are the least expensive, they're about 1 foot in depth maximum, height depends on size. LCD's and Plasma's of course are if you need something 4-6" deep max (up to 8" for 50-60"). BUT, price is super high on these. Hope this helps.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

If you do the LCD Projector, do the Panasonic. The bulb is supposed to last 5,000 hours, but my BIL says they loast closer to 1,500. They are about the cheapest bulb out there at about $200 (RCA is near the top at about $800).

Price wise - LCD projection is about the cheapest. I'm told the new DLP has a bunch of moving parts - which are prone to needing repair. Could cost a fair amount to do that in the long run... If you add in the extended warranty to an LCD projection, you're talking the neighborhood of about $1500 to $2500 for a VERY nice TV.

No matter what you do - I'm told to buy the extended warranty. My BIL says years ago only about 10% of TV's came back during the warranty period for repairs. He says it's closer to 80% now - which means that they are more prone to failure. Having just lost my EXPENSIVE rear projection big screen TV to a gun failure after 3 years, I'd say he's probably right...

Congrats on making the plunge!

I'd stay away from Plasma - they usually have a screen burn problem which the newer LCD's don't have as much. I'd go with an LCD or DLP Projection that's HDTV or HDTV-ready - best bang for your buck with the best new proven technology out there. Samsung is a better known brand that's pretty good.

Check out cnet.com - http://reviews.cnet.com/Televisions/...ag=ksrch_glnav

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that if you have an American Express card - depending on which one you have they will either double or extend the original manufacturer warranty by one year - which reduces the need to get an extended service plan from Best Buy, etc.

PM me if you have any more questions!

I have been looking also. I think I am going to get the DLP. I have a 51" HD rear projection Hitachi and it works great but I am reading where the DLP is far better than the standerd HD. They say DLP wont burn your screen either and the picture is great. Tiger direct had a 51" Samsung for sale a couple weeks ago for 1200. Hope this helps. Good Luck
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Like ggiese said, get the extended warrenty. I've got a Panasonic 50" LCD projection and I love it. IMO the best choices in HDTV right now are DLP and LCD projection. Of course, I've never been a huge fan of plasma's. You're going to get the best bang for the buck with either one of those.

One thing to remember - at the store when you're comparing everything against everything else, it's obvious that some look better than others and salesmen will spew that 1080p versus 1080i resolution (p is better). And you should get the best resolution that you can afford (newer technologies such as any new High def DVD (whether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray format) perform at the 1080). that being said, when the box comes home, it'll look spectacular either way - 1 b/c you bought it and therefore it is so. 2 - it's the only tv in the room.

You can get a nice box for under $2G. Check out consumer reports (march issue 2006) which has a lot of detail on it and the cnet link above. And if you have membership/want to get something from costco, i have coupons for a couple hundred off that i can send you!
    Last edited by mauied1101; 03-06-2006 at 10:51 AM. Reason: damn typos

Thread Information