Thread: Question?

Default Question?

Looking to step up on the TV front. I want to get something 42 inches or larger without spending a wing and a thigh. I would much rather invest in a large cigar cabinent or something of the like. I have no choice in the matter, so please help? HDTV, Plasma, LCD Projection etc. WTF? In my day, we did not even have remote controls. Looking for anyone to recommend a brand or make? Thanks in advance.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

HDTV for sure, no doubt, but when it comes to type, it all comes down to budget and space. If you have the space and want to save money, you can get 50-60" Rear Projection (non-DLP/LCD) HDTV's for 1500-2000. Check out Costco and Sam's Club. The downside is you're buying a traditional big screen, probably 2-3 feet deep and 4-6 feet tall. If space is a problem, then lcd projection, lcd and plasma are the way to go. The LCD projection are the least expensive, they're about 1 foot in depth maximum, height depends on size. LCD's and Plasma's of course are if you need something 4-6" deep max (up to 8" for 50-60"). BUT, price is super high on these. Hope this helps.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

If you do the LCD Projector, do the Panasonic. The bulb is supposed to last 5,000 hours, but my BIL says they loast closer to 1,500. They are about the cheapest bulb out there at about $200 (RCA is near the top at about $800).

Price wise - LCD projection is about the cheapest. I'm told the new DLP has a bunch of moving parts - which are prone to needing repair. Could cost a fair amount to do that in the long run... If you add in the extended warranty to an LCD projection, you're talking the neighborhood of about $1500 to $2500 for a VERY nice TV.

No matter what you do - I'm told to buy the extended warranty. My BIL says years ago only about 10% of TV's came back during the warranty period for repairs. He says it's closer to 80% now - which means that they are more prone to failure. Having just lost my EXPENSIVE rear projection big screen TV to a gun failure after 3 years, I'd say he's probably right...

Congrats on making the plunge!

I'd stay away from Plasma - they usually have a screen burn problem which the newer LCD's don't have as much. I'd go with an LCD or DLP Projection that's HDTV or HDTV-ready - best bang for your buck with the best new proven technology out there. Samsung is a better known brand that's pretty good.

Check out cnet.com - http://reviews.cnet.com/Televisions/...ag=ksrch_glnav

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that if you have an American Express card - depending on which one you have they will either double or extend the original manufacturer warranty by one year - which reduces the need to get an extended service plan from Best Buy, etc.

PM me if you have any more questions!

I have been looking also. I think I am going to get the DLP. I have a 51" HD rear projection Hitachi and it works great but I am reading where the DLP is far better than the standerd HD. They say DLP wont burn your screen either and the picture is great. Tiger direct had a 51" Samsung for sale a couple weeks ago for 1200. Hope this helps. Good Luck
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Like ggiese said, get the extended warrenty. I've got a Panasonic 50" LCD projection and I love it. IMO the best choices in HDTV right now are DLP and LCD projection. Of course, I've never been a huge fan of plasma's. You're going to get the best bang for the buck with either one of those.

One thing to remember - at the store when you're comparing everything against everything else, it's obvious that some look better than others and salesmen will spew that 1080p versus 1080i resolution (p is better). And you should get the best resolution that you can afford (newer technologies such as any new High def DVD (whether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray format) perform at the 1080). that being said, when the box comes home, it'll look spectacular either way - 1 b/c you bought it and therefore it is so. 2 - it's the only tv in the room.

You can get a nice box for under $2G. Check out consumer reports (march issue 2006) which has a lot of detail on it and the cnet link above. And if you have membership/want to get something from costco, i have coupons for a couple hundred off that i can send you!
    Last edited by mauied1101; 03-06-2006 at 10:51 AM. Reason: damn typos

Thanks for the tips, Gentlemen. I obviously have a lot to consider.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

I'm partial to plasma(I've had one for 2 years now). Plasma TV's dont have any more of a problem with burn in than a normal CRT TV. They both use the same phosphor. LCD is great and wont burn in, but they get very expensive in the larger sizes and have problems showing shades of black. DLP is a nice compromise between a plasma/LCD and a normal rear projection TV since they are relatively thin. I would also be concerned with all of the moving parts(mirrors) associated with the DLP's. Rear projections are huge and have a limited viewing angle, but they are relatively inexpensive. LCD projectors are nice, but any projector will require a darker room to get the full effect. If I ever get around to building my media room, I plan on going with a LCD projector. I say spend the extra money and go with a plasma, just do your homework first. I did quite a bit of research before I bought mine so if you have any questions let me know.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...ory_page_next1

If you're going to spend too much money, here's a good article.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

11. Default Down with Extended Warranties!

Entended Warranties are basically a new source of income that retail stores have discovered. I don't suggest buying them. Since warranties only cover manufacturer defect, most defects will become evident within the warranty period.

Get an HDTV. That's the only way to go. HD ready is fine (even preferred) if you have digital cable or satellite service.

If you can afford the clams, get a plasma. If you're like me, you balk at spending a couple paychecks on a TV.

That leaves you in the land of DLP rear projection or direct view. The DLPs are very bright, but they still suffer from the angley problems traditional rear projection TVs. There are some very nice direct-view (traditional tube) televisions out there, but they are constrained by size (I have a VERY nice 32" HDTV).

The other, less talked-about option is front-projection. Front projectors offer a very high quality picture, larger than any other TV you'll ever own. However, they lack brightness. In the daytime, they get completely whited out. But if you don't mind having one TV for watching Oprah and dropping the projector only for movies and night TV shows, they're simply no better way to go.

I also suggest spending a LOT of time just standing in stores staring at televisions. Watch them up close, watch them from afar, watch them at different angles. Sometimes the results will surprise you. For example, when I was looking at direct-view TVs a few years ago, Sharp was the first to get tossed off the list, shortly followed by Sony. I would have thought Sony would make it to the final bracket, but when I compared the trinitrons to other monitors, they were just plain awful. The winner was, oddly enough, a Samsung. I didn't even think they made TVs...

12. Default

Anyone who owns a TV or surround sound system should have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630...v=glance&n=130

Televisions in particular are set up to look good under the very bright florescent lights of a sales floor, NOT your living room.

Surround sound systems, well, they just need a little calibration now and then. After all, you don't live in a sound stage (and if you do, I'm jealous).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    The winner was, oddly enough, a Samsung. I didn't even think they made TVs...
    Samsung started out making TVs a long time ago. They took over the 'crappy' TV torch passed to them from Japan in the late '60s and early '70s.

Here is an interesting link about Samsung detailing their history.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Blog Entries

We have the big TV and the Sony surround system. It was my hubby's retirement gifts to himself. I really think it's a waste of wall space, since my houses' decor is out of the early 1900's. You might imagine this system stands out like a bull in a china shop. Furthermore, this true to life sound? Yep it sure is, as a matter of fact, it's so loud and true to life that when he has a bang-bang- shoot-them-up movie on and its time for bed I wear a bullet proof vest to bed. The gun shots will wake me but their not going to take me out! The TV has two remotes and I consider myself a tech type of person but honestly this operation he has got going down there might as will be the formula for rocket fuel. I mean he is brainless when it comes to anything electronic The fact he can even get it to work is amassing and if something goes wrong he is screaming at me to fix it. What the heck happen to plain old TV. Good luck!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Thread Information