Thread: US ban on Cuban cigars

Blog Entries

I posted this message about the US ban on Cuban cigars getting tighter in the Cigar News forum a couple of weeks ago. What do you guys think about the implications of such restrictions? Edited by: hex1848

I personally think it is rediculous at this point. The US trade embargo was implimented durring the cold war back wharn Kennedy was president. Cuba is no threat any more so I think that the embargo should be lifted. No matter, I have a very good contact that I get my Cubans for. At one hell of a good price I might add.

Carlos
    Life is to short to b!tch...Get over it and move on.

Blog Entries

I agree, they can’t even keep people from smoking pot, let alone cigars. What surprises me so much about this is the penalties involved. 10 years in the Fed and a$250,000. How can theyeven begin to enforce this?

I guessI need to go through thehumidor to make sureI don’t have anything lying around, but then they could charge me with arson and/or destruction of evidence couldn’t they?

Is the penalty for owning them?? I thought it was just for bringing them in to the US...Hmmm...

Did you here that tory about a rich guy that bought a Primo box of some rare sticks for some $100000 a "seried of fires" that destroyed the cigars. Hewon the case and then was arrested for arson. Ha ha...

Carlos

Blog Entries

LOL, yep, that was exactly the storyI was thinking about when I wrote that post.... granted it turns out its just a myth.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Ha, that is funny

I personally think that the embargo will not be lifted until Castro dies. When Kennedy enacted the embargo in 1962, it was right after the whole Cuban Missle Crisis, and that was mainly due to Russia, yet there is no embargo with Russia. I just think it is mainly due to our government not wanting to do trade wth a communist country... especially with the whole anti-terrorism policies. So.... I still think its ridiculous.

Blog Entries

It's most likely going to be a free-for-all when Fidel dies. There are many (mainly) political reasons for the embargo to be in place to begin with. TheCuban American community(for the most part) supports it. They are a strong political group in one of the key "battle" ground states year in and year out.

I'm Cuban American,Born and raised right here in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Florida</st1:place></st1:State>. My family has suffered allot because of his regime. Its time for the man to go away. I would support any action which would get him out of power.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Once Castro Dies do you think that Cuban Cigars here in the states will have the same high class appeal? People will go nuts buying them but will the Appreciation go away or will they still be concidared a luxury to smoke? Just food for thought.

On a side note, give me a .50 Cal and a getaway crew of Seals and I would personally put a hole in Castro's Head.

Blog Entries

Cuban cigars were always the best in the world not because an embargo, or Castro, or Batista, or anyone else for that matter. The land the tobacco is grown on was among the best in the world for growing cigar tobacco.

Allot of that land has been over harvested, new crops (such as sugarcane) where planted and the soil has been depleted greatly. After the cigar boom of the early 90's the land went right back to tobacco.

I think that the quality of Cuban cigars has decreased tremendously over the last 20-30 years. That being said, the Cuban cigar still has a certain class appeal. That many of the other countries can not compete with, regardless as to if its better tobacco or not.

Interestingly enough, there was an interview with Castro in C.A.
    magazine way back in 1994. There's some talk about the embargo
    from Castro's point of view. It's pretty interesting to read ten
    years later. Click here for the transcript.

I think the ban will be lifted when Castro dies or a democrat gets back in the White House, whichever comes first. We were actually feeling out public sentiment toward the idea a few years ago until President Bush publicly and adamantly said he would not lift the ban. Edited by: cockyhoskins

I read that with the recent victory of the Cuban Cohiba Co. over the US Cuban CO in a US Court over the Cohiba name,that the US Courts recongnizing a Cuban Co was a big step to the over turning of the ban. Cuban did recently drop the US dollar from its currency though as a form of protest.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins
    I think the ban will be lifted when Castro dies or
    a democrat gets back in the White House, whichever comes first.
    We were actually feeling out public sentiment toward the idea a few
    years ago until President Bush publicly and adamantly said he would not
    lift the ban.

Bush actually discussed removing the embargo, but shortly after that
    Castro started jailing dissidents left and right. From what I
    understand if Castro makes certian Human Rights conessions the embargo
    would be lifted, but he won't make them. He uses the embargo as a
    reason to blame the USA for all the country's problems. I pretty
    much see the embargo being in place until Castro dies.

When I was out of the country I smokes a couple there, but in most
    places they are so overprices it is ridiculous. If you know where
    to look you can find legitimate sites online that ship all over the
    world at decent prices. These sites are also licensed Habanos
    S.A. distributors. If you do your homework you can usually figure
    what are fakes and what are not. If the price is too good to be
    true they are fakes.

Thread Information