Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Admin Access Attempts

Blog Entries

Default Admin Access Attempts

I was looking over the server logs for Cigarsmokers.com last night, and noticed someone was scanning the site for pages that grant administrative access. Why in the world would anyone try to do something like that without malicious intentions?

I took note of the IP address of the requests and on a hunch cross referenced it with IP addresses that members have used to access the site. To my surprise a user has posted here with that IP address before: PassThis. I asked the administrator of another well respected cigar forum if anyone had used this IP address in the past. He said, why yes, Rod, from Cigarpass.

error_log.1141776000:[Tue Mar 7 20:31:29 2006] [error] [client 216.165.244.XXX] File does not exist: /cigarsmokers.com/admin
    error_log.1141776000:[Tue Mar 7
    20:31:36 2006] [error] [client 216.165.244.XXX] File does not exist: /cigarsmokers.com/administration
    error_log.1141776000:[Tue Mar 7
    20:32:08 2006] [error] [client 216.165.244.XXX] script not found or unable to stat: /cigarsmokers.com/admin.php

I sent Rod an email with a copy of the log posted above last night at 12:33 AM EST. You would think someone presented with that kind of information would like to have had this straightened out by now.

I think this community as well as yours deserves an explanation. We are all Brothers of the Leaf here. This kind of breach of trust is detrimental to the spirit of our brotherhood.

That is disturbing, and pathetic.

Classless and embarassing for cigarpass as a whole.

edit to remove a hasty decision until I see this whole mess pan out...
    Last edited by drew_goring; 03-10-2006 at 01:27 PM.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Thats nuts
    Remember to breathe

Bullshit in it's purest form!!!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

A shame, you think they'd know better.

7. Default The Facts

Hex,

In response to this thread, I'd appreciate you getting the facts straight rather than simply trying to make me out to be "malicious". Now for the rest of you, here's what happened... My friend who came over yesterday offered to help me apply updates to my site. He doesn't know what the admin url is, and I was on the phone. I told him to go to my bookmarks and go to THE CIGAR site. Not knowing which one it was, and me being preoccupied, he went to the wrong site, and by the time I came back in, he tried to log into cigarsmokers multiple times, instead of cigarpass.

I apologize for any suspicions this may have caused, especially with all of this other crap going on. However, I really don't appreciate you taking this incident and using it to make me look like I was in the wrong. Had I seen your email earlier, I would have responded to it! I receive over 250 emails a day, most of which are junkmail, and yours was directed to my junkmail folder. After being made aware of this thread, I have scanned my outlook junk folder and found the email from you. As a TRUE Brother of the Leaf, I am disappointed with this entire situation, and it goes beyond this particular thread. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by PassThis
    Hex,

In response to this thread, I'd appreciate you getting the facts straight rather than simply trying to make me out to be "malicious". Now for the rest of you, here's what happened... My friend who came over yesterday offered to help me apply updates to my site. He doesn't know what the admin url is, and I was on the phone. I told him to go to my bookmarks and go to THE CIGAR site. Not knowing which one it was, and me being preoccupied, he went to the wrong site, and by the time I came back in, he tried to log into cigarsmokers multiple times, instead of cigarpass.

I apologize for any suspicions this may have caused, especially with all of this other crap going on. However, I really don't appreciate you taking this incident and using it to make me look like I was in the wrong. Had I seen your email earlier, I would have responded to it! I receive over 250 emails a day, most of which are junkmail, and yours was directed to my junkmail folder. After being made aware of this thread, I have scanned my outlook junk folder and found the email from you. As a TRUE Brother of the Leaf, I am disappointed with this entire situation, and it goes beyond this particular thread. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

and..... who gave you that information.... you still haven't answered that
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    Well Rod???

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    Sorry Tommy, I consider that to be an internal issue.

Blog Entries

Especially in light of everything going on I would have expected a PM explaining what happened before I found it in the logs 4 hours later. People make mistakes, I’m the first one to admit I’m not perfect, but I also let people know when I screw up.

While I don’t agree with the content in question, the fact is private information from this forum made it to you without authorization and you refuse to revel how you got it. (or did you miss that email too?) You don't think someone trying to further access restricted content on this site from your IP address might further arouse suspicion?

Hex,

Last edited by hex1848; 03-09-2006 at 12:57 AM.

Internal ????.....

Then that info needs to be shared with Hex.....
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Rod,

I have enjoyed the amount of time i spent a CP... I have learned alot from the FOGs and established members. I have learned that "trust" is a major issue with this society. A "trust" has been broken here. As a BOTL yourself, you have to understand that. I have called out a couple of people on CP because I believe they were taking advantage of people's "trust". Now somebody here has broken a trust and we need to know who that was.... Internal, yes..... and I feel I am one of the internal people who needs to know that along with quite a few others...... Even on your BB.... If that person cannot be trusted here, how can he be trusted even on your BB.....

I learned something a long time ago..... If a person will cheat for you, then they will cheat on you.

If a person will break a trust for you.... then they will break a trust against you.... you are not doing anybody any good by not telling us who did this.....

edited because I can't spell
    Last edited by Bkcloud114; 03-09-2006 at 01:27 AM.

Seems like someone is playing both sides.....

My grandpappy always told me this....If you go snoopin', you better be prepared for what you find.

I think you've fallen off the deep end Rod. Obviously, you're on a witch hunt but it looks like you've shot yourself in the foot from where I'm standing. It's come to my attention that my name got brought up in all of this, which I find hilarious. I had nothing to do with any of this but you chose to lump me in with the "problems" on your forum.

I've always been honest and told you what i thought, even when you didn't want to listen. Well, I think you probably realized a few things in the last few days if I had to make a guess. You've never gotten over some issues we've had. I can live with that. But when one talks out of both sides of their mouth, things are bound to come full circle eventually.

You can't tell folks they are the ones who built your board one month and then chastise them the next. Goes towards credibility I'm afraid.

You've got a Judas over here Hex. I'm sure he's on mine as well....it will all come out in the wash.

Rod, hopefully you've learned your lesson and I wish you all the best.

Lee
    Last edited by Leebo; 03-09-2006 at 10:45 AM.

blah blah blah... just another asshat.

Wow!

What the fuck is going on?

I don't know but I don't like what I am seeing...
    "Let me tell you something pendejo. If you try any of that crazy **** with us, you flash your piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you and stick it up your a$$ and pull the trigger until it goes click."
    Jesus from The Big Lebowski

Hex,

i think you're full of shit. man up and tell the truth. and you're no better than the rat you're protecting as long as you're protecting him.

My friend who came over yesterday offered to help me apply updates to my site. He doesn't know what the admin url is, and I was on the phone. I told him to go to my bookmarks and go to THE CIGAR site. Not knowing which one it was, and me being preoccupied, he went to the wrong site, and by the time I came back in, he tried to log into cigarsmokers multiple times, instead of cigarpass.
    I just have a couple questions - why would you have the cigarsmokers admin site bookmarked? Or let's say you didn't have it bookmarked, how would this person know what the CS admin URL is?

Thread Information