Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Health Question

Question Cigar Health Question

OK, I know a few things:
    - If you smoke a cigar per day, you'll probably get cancer
    - If you smoke a cigar per year, it will probably have no tangible effect

But most of us are somewhere in between, personally I smoke one every 1 or 2 weeks (generally a corona or similar size). I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the point at which cigar smoking has a real chance (10-20%) of causing a major health problem (i.e. cancer).

I realize there's no way to be precise about this, but I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate. If cutting back to 1 per month would really help, I would definitely do that, but if it wouldn't make a difference then I'd rather not! Thanks!

Tobacco causes cancer, along with a host of other problems, including heart disease.

So if it is really a concern, don't smoke any at all.

This is some of the best info I've ever found. Pretty unbiased.

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/health/
    Captain, it is I!

Life will kill, eventually. Christopher Reeve's wife never smoked and she died of lung cancer. With all the crap in the things we eat and the things we drink, check out what's in the air we breath, why worry. My grandfather smoked 2 or 3 packs of cigarettes a day for 45 years. Not a drop of cancer. I am not advocating going out and using heroine or meth or something stupid like that, but cigars, liquor... why waste your time worrying about it? Throw me a piece of red meat on the grill, fire me up a stick, and pour myself a nice glass of something and enjoy what time God sees fit to give me.

I will leave the worrying to the people that have yet to learn how to enjoy life!

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo
    Life will kill, eventually. Christopher Reeve's wife never smoked and she died of lung cancer. With all the crap in the things we eat and the things we drink, check out what's in the air we breath, why worry. My grandfather smoked 2 or 3 packs of cigarettes a day for 45 years. Not a drop of cancer. I am not advocating going out and using heroine or meth or something stupid like that, but cigars, liquor... why waste your time worrying about it? Throw me a piece of red meat on the grill, fire me up a stick, and pour myself a nice glass of something and enjoy what time God sees fit to give me.

I will leave the worrying to the people that have yet to learn how to enjoy life!
    Very well said.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bsterr
    OK, I know a few things:

But most of us are somewhere in between, personally I smoke one every 1 or 2 weeks (generally a corona or similar size). I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the point at which cigar smoking has a real chance (10-20%) of causing a major health problem (i.e. cancer).

I realize there's no way to be precise about this, but I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate. If cutting back to 1 per month would really help, I would definitely do that, but if it wouldn't make a difference then I'd rather not! Thanks!
    Based on what you know, I've produced a simple formula to calculate your odds of getting cancer. The formula is NUMBER OF CIGARS SMOKED PER YEAR X .00274! It's that simple! (I keep telling these people I am a freaking genius! )

So, I smoke on average 3 per week or 3 x 52 = 156 per year X .00274 = .42744 or 42.7% chance of getting cancer. If I were the average smoker, then almost half of us on this forum would be getting cancer. This is not true.

Therefore, your assumption that you'll probably get cancer if you smoke one cigar per day is probably not correct.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Quote Originally Posted by illilli
    Based on what you know, I've produced a simple formula to calculate your odds of getting cancer. The formula is NUMBER OF CIGARS SMOKED PER YEAR X .00274! It's that simple! (I keep telling these people I am a freaking genius! )

So, I smoke on average 3 per week or 3 x 52 = 156 per year X .00274 = .42744 or 42.7% chance of getting cancer. If I were the average smoker, then almost half of us on this forum would be getting cancer. This is not true.

Therefore, your assumption that you'll probably get cancer if you smoke one cigar per day is probably not correct.
    I think I just had an aneurysm...

OK, I know a few things:

I think your next step would be to go to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and check ask the correlation between red meat and heart disease before you have another burger... here's the link http://www.beef.org/

me with a stogie - me without a stogie (notice the eyes are open and the shocked expression without and the dreamy/satisfied expression with)

BTW - welcome to the group!

D'OH

Don't forget illillilli, you've had a cold this week so your numbers dip. I have in-laws next week, so mine will probably rise!

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo

I will leave the worrying to the people that have yet to learn how to enjoy life
    !

So what time is dinner?

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    D'OH

Don't forget illillilli, you've had a cold this week so your numbers dip. I have in-laws next week, so mine will probably rise!
    I can't believe you could insult me like that 1101! I mean, you KNOW I am a numbers man. OF COURSE, I took colds and other factors into account to get to my average of 3.

Hell, if I could smoke all I wanted, I'd do two a day, easily. (Same thing for sex, btw). I bet your in-laws increase the amount of alcohol comsumption too.
    puro pot pass VI loser

I bet your in-laws increase the amount of alcohol comsumption too.

Don't forget the hair-loss, weight gain, cholesterol and blood pressure increase. Not to mention sleep (and intimacy) deprivation. I'm renting a damn minivan for the incoming.

I'll probably smoke more than usual just to piss'em off

Blog Entries

OK, I know a few things:

Absolutely, positively not. That general statement is very far from the truth. There are many other factors that come in to play as to whether or not you will get cancer. It's virtually impossible to give you a number. There are MANY people who smoked five cigars per day or 50 years that never came down with cancer and on the other hand, there are people who contracted lung cancer who never smoked a day in their life.

Sorry but no one can give you a ballpark esitmate that's worth anything.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

bigpoppapuff Guest

smoking one cigar a day will cause cancer???......no,not neccessarily....

there is nobody who has ever done a study that suggests this...with credibility...

15. Default

It's really hard to find a credible study these days. Research is based on grants. Grants come from the government. Govenment is run by politicians.

My mother does tobacco research for a living. Every project she's ever worked on is aimed at making tobacco look bad. Let's face it, if she put in a grant to disprove some research, it would never get funded. No one wants to put the approval stamp on some pro-smoking research. That's political suicide!

I think that sucks. As a scientist, I'd like to see more unbiased studies...

-------

Another thing I'm reminded of is the "red wine is good for you" theories that started to pop up several years ago. Turns out evil alcohol could be good for you in moderation... But only red wine. Numerous theories were thrown around about the skins of grapes and such.

As more research was done, it became clear that alcohol in moderation (be it beer, wine, or spirits) is good for you. So why did we only cite red wine previously? Because red wine is often viewed as a "sophisticated drink". Who could ever think that a lowly beer drinker could profit from the same benefits as someone drinking red wine???
    Last edited by SuperChuck; 03-10-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    As more research was done, it became clear that alcohol in moderation (be it beer, wine, or spirits) is good for you. So why did we only cite red wine previously? Because red wine is often viewed as a "sophisticated drink". Who could ever think that a lowly beer drinker could profit from the same benefits as someone drinking red wine???
    I believe that if we could do some scientific research on the actual quantity of alcohol that should be consumed for optimum affect, we would find that it is really more like 5 beers. Well, at least that's when I start to "feel" like the beer is having a positive affect.
    puro pot pass VI loser

17. Default

Thank you to the 2 or 3 people that actually bothered with a real answer.

Responses to the rest of those that wasted my time...

"Tobacco causes cancer, along with a host of other problems, including heart disease. So if it is really a concern, don't smoke any at all."

- The quantity of tobacco is undoubtedly a crucial factor, so this is a worthless comment.

"Life will kill, eventually. Christopher Reeve's wife never smoked and she died of lung cancer..... My grandfather smoked 2 or 3 packs of cigarettes a day for 45 years. Not a drop of cancer."

- Basing overall probabilities on one or two random cases is as dumb as seeing 5 consecutive roulette spins land on black and concluding that the ball always lands on black.

"So, I smoke on average 3 per week or 3 x 52 = 156 per year X .00274 = .42744 or 42.7% chance of getting cancer. If I were the average smoker, then almost half of us on this forum would be getting cancer. This is not true.."

- It could be true, half of the forum may very well get cancer. Last time I checked, it does not appear immediately after smoking, and pretending to know the % of people here who will get cancer is not helpful. I'm certainly not saying that 1/2 eventually will as a result of smoking cigars, but basing general probabilities on the current % of forum members with cancer is ridiculous.

"I think your next step would be to go to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and check ask the correlation between red meat and heart disease...."

- If I wanted to know that, I wouldn't be posting to a cigar forum

Since you are obviously a dumbass, I am gonna cut ya come slack and give you a chance to crawl outa the hole you just dug for yourself. Check yourself, before you wreck yourself puddin' head.

Thank you to the 2 or 3 people that actually bothered with a real answer.

Responses to the rest of those that wasted my time...

- The quantity of tobacco is undoubtedly a crucial factor, so this is a worthless comment.

- Basing overall probabilities on one or two random cases is as dumb as seeing 5 consecutive roulette spins land on black and concluding that the ball always lands on black.

- It could be true, half of the forum may very well get cancer. Last time I checked, it does not appear immediately after smoking, and pretending to know the % of people here who will get cancer is not helpful. I'm certainly not saying that 1/2 eventually will as a result of smoking cigars, but basing general probabilities on the current % of forum members with cancer is ridiculous.

- If I wanted to know that, I wouldn't be posting to a cigar forum

Blog Entries

So, did you read those threads that linked to actual statistics? Listen, we have a little fun with people and take subjects a little lightly. Most people are intelligent enough to know that you cannot put a percentage chance of getting cancer on the number of cigars you smoke.

Further, it is ludicrous (sp?) to think that you can control it by cutting down the amount you smoke in order to lower your risk to a reasonable level as you originally suggested.

You started the fun though by making the statement:

OK, I know a few things:
    Where did you get this? You make that up or did you hear it from your parents? You state that as if it is absolute FACT.

------------------

So, I went to my doctor the other day and said, "Doctor, I want to lower my risk for heart disease, but I only want to exercise and eat right enough of the time so that I only have a 15-20% chance of getting it. I know that if I don't exercise or eat right, I will probably have a heart attack and that if I exercise all the time and eat nothing but healthy balanced foods, I probably won't have a heart attack."
    puro pot pass VI loser

I'm not in a very good mood today with all the shit that's been going on........

Take a hike F*CK-BAG
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Thread Information