Thread: Analog Humidity Gauge

1. Default Analog Humidity Gauge

I have a analog humidity gauge and it never seemed to move. It did if I set it outside, but inside or in humidor, it always sat around 50.

I followed the instructions and put a damp towel on it (before learning the salt & bag). It would go up to about 99%, but then fall back to 50.

I tried turning the little screw in back and the needle would always "spring" back to where it was. Why is this? Everywhere I read, it said adjust screw to move needle to spot. So it would always bounce back to 50, so I turned it a few times around and then was able to put the needle where I wanted it.

However, it would now stay in that spot. So if I moved it to 20, it stayed there... 70, it would stay there and so on. So I bought a $10 one in a local store and it had the same symptoms. Except staying near different number.

So I guess my question is, why does the needle spring back and not dial to where you want it to go? Or is that how it's suppose to be? I got a replacement (exchange) at no charge and I have it in the baggie with cap of salt and couple drops of distilled water.

2. Default

Maybe your spring in there has reached its' yeild strentgh and can only go further, not go back properly. That's the one major drawback to analogs is that they break and aren't that accurate.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
    Maybe your spring in there has reached its' yeild strentgh and can only go further, not go back properly. That's the one major drawback to analogs is that they break and aren't that accurate.
    So the needle should always "spring" back when adjusting the screw?

4. Default

Why not just get a digital?

5. Default

I did SuperChuck. I just got a free analog to replace the broken one, so I figured I'd calibrate it. And also curious about why I couldn't get the other one working.

Thread Information