Thread: Would you do a special review for me?

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Default Would you do a special review for me?

I got my hands on a few sticks today. Very interesting to say the least.

Here's my offer; I'm gonna send you 2 cigars, one of each type I got, and all I want in return is an honest review of both, nothing more, nothing less! Easy, eh?? First person who believes they can give an honest review to reply to this post will get 'em.

Also, right now, Desert Rat has some cigars on the way to me to review, and when I respond to someone else with my end of the bargain, I'm gonna throw in one of each for that person as well, so they'll get 4 'gars instead of 2, and I'll get two honest reviews on each one.

All I'm gonna tell you for now is one is Lonsdale, and the other is a Rothschilde. I WILL post the true identity of both when both reviewers PM their experiences to me. (I say PM so one person won't read the other review before smoking theirs.)

OK, that being said:

Would you do a special review for me?

2. Default

Why not play them in the Review These game?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    Why not play them in the Review These game?
    You will understand after I post actuals when they've been reviewed.

Like I said, they will be a "part" of the game, but as an addition. Not as my 2 stick requirement.

Thanks for asking though.

Default Here's what they are.

OK, I guess nobody wants a part of this, so here's my original thoughts.

Rothschild:

Maduro wrapper (my first), very nice construction, smell & prelight feel. Cut nicely and the prelight draw was a little loose, as it was for the length of the cigar. It lit easily and had an almost perfect burn except for one little lag on one side that was taken care of easily with a touch of a lighter. Right from the start, it had plenty of nice white smoke. Towards meduim taste at first with kind of a spicy taste that got stronger through. I got some hints of flavours I couldn't identify, possibly could be described as woody. Smoked nicely all the way down to about 1" left.

All in all, a very nice and pleasing smoke. May be mild for a seasoned smoker, but I thoroughly enjoyed it with a couple of Carling Lagers.

Lonsdale:

This one was also wrapped in Maduro, but had a much firmer feel than the other. Cut nicely, and both the pre and post light draws were firm and pleasing to me. Milder than the other one, not as much smoke, and again a nearly perfect burn. This one had very subtle flavours, none identifiable to me, but a very nice balance with lots of pepper at the end.

This may be my typical golf course smoke for a while. Again, while milder than the other, a very pleasant cigar that was also consumed with a couple of Lagers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

So, here's the story. My daughter and her Fiancee came for a visit yesterday morning and handed me one each of these, and had the bands in an envelope. They asked me to smoke them, see how I liked them and then I could open the envelope. It turns out that the Lonsdale is a Mr B Honduran bundled cigar, and the Rothschild is out of a Roly Nicaruagan bundle.

She showed me the receipt and they were both $19.95 for a bundle of 20, and she gave me the other 19 of each.

I was quite amazed that there actually were reasonable cigars out there for a buck each. I couldn't find any reviews on either, so that was why I wanted someone to sample for me so I didn't think I was losing it and that my tastes were on their way down instead of up!!!

Chuck:

Now you see why I didn't want these to be a main part of the "Review These" game.

5. Default

Rolys are actually quite good. I've never had the maduros, but the naturals are a nice little smoke...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    Rolys are actually quite good. I've never had the maduros, but the naturals are a nice little smoke...
    That's what I thought Chuck. Until my kid told me they were $1 sticks! I'll but them both again.

Thread Information