Thread: Going On A Cruise What to Take

Default Going On A Cruise What to Take

I am going on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas and St. Marteen this summer. I know I can't fly with my lighter but is there anyway to get a torch lighter to the ship? Also I understand I can bring back 100 cigars duty free from St. Thomas and Cubans are available on St. Marteen. Can anyone provide me suggestions on where to shop while on the islands?

What kind of prices can I expect in the islands?

What should I bring with me, What should I buy where?

The Cigars I like are in order below:

CAO C x 2
    COHIBA EXTRA VIGOROSO XV 550
    CAO Italia

I have no knowlege of cubans but tend to perfer medium to heavy smokes. Generally, I only some once or twice a week so I indulge in nice smokes when I light up. On the cruise I plan to smoke quite a bit. If I can save some money I will bring back what I can.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by why1504
    I am going on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas and St. Marteen this summer. I know I can't fly with my lighter but is there anyway to get a torch lighter to the ship? Also I understand I can bring back 100 cigars duty free from St. Thomas and Cubans are available on St. Marteen. Can anyone provide me suggestions on where to shop while on the islands?

The Cigars I like are in order below:

CAO C x 2
    COHIBA EXTRA VIGOROSO XV 550
    CAO Italia

I have no knowlege of cubans but tend to perfer medium to heavy smokes. Generally, I only some once or twice a week so I indulge in nice smokes when I light up. On the cruise I plan to smoke quite a bit. If I can save some money I will bring back what I can.

Thanks for the help.

First off, welcome to Cigarsmokers.

Second, you might want to post a profile or introduce yourself before asking questions. Will get a better reception and answers to your inquiries.

Cheers.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Hi...... welcome to CigarSmokers.com

I hope you are not trying to bring Cubans into the US...... they are illegal..... period !!!!

Read this..... http://treas.gov/offices/enforcement...ba/ccigar2.pdf

It is not even legal for you to purchase them as long as you are a US citizen
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Ok, posted some Bio info. I am 47, like golf, martini's, high dollar tequila, and beer. I am crusing the Eastern Carribean with my wife and 2 childern. I have smoked cigars on and off for 20 years. On my honeymoon I had my first cuban, I did not know what I was buying, it was ok.

Normally when I travel I carry the cigars I plan to smoke. I had planned to do this here til I heard that I can bring 100 cigars duty free back from St. Thomas. I don't have any idea how good of a deal this is as I don't know what the cigars cost or if they will offer cigars I like to smoke. Locally, the Cx2 I like runs 6.50 to 9.00 depending on length. I really like this cigar as the ring gauge is a 52. I perfer larger ring gauge cigars and I know this is not typical for Cubans. I won't buy a cigar for $15.00 plus without an extreamly good reason.

I really perfer to light my cigars with a torch lighter and would like to have one on the trip, any suggestions on how to best get it there?

As for the cubans, well I have had a couple in recient years, and was not impressed. Don't know if they were fakes or the real thing.
    Last edited by why1504; 04-03-2006 at 09:24 AM.

You cannot travel with a torch lighter....... you could mail it to yourself at the place that you are staying but if it is not in the US I wouldn't chance it..... If you do take the chance and put it in your luggage, you have to accept the possibility that it might get confiscated by TSA. Best bet... use matches when you get there.
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    I hope you are not trying to bring Cubans into the US...... they are illegal..... period !!!!
    Unless he's a kid. Then he gets granted citizenship and all sorts of immunity.

Oh, you meant Cuban cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    You cannot travel with a torch lighter.......
    Really? I just flew back from Australia to Toronto via Los Angeles with my Siglo Torch lighter I picked up in OZ. Is this part of the U.S. war on terror crackdown?

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    Really? I just flew back from Australia to Toronto via Los Angeles with my Siglo Torch lighter I picked up in OZ. Is this part of the U.S. war on terror crackdown?

-W.
    It is technically not legal and if they do find it they will confiscate it. However they don't scan close to all of the bags so your chance of it making it's way to your destination is good.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

just buy a bic lighter on the way to the boat, enjoy your trip.

Ok, if I choose I can pack a small lighter without fuel and hope they don't take it away.

What about cigar purchases. Any deals to be had down there or should I just plan to carry plenty to smoke?

Welcome .

First off bring your own cigars.

I would not but any "cuban" cigars from any of those islands. MOst are fake . Imagine the scandal tying to come back into the USA with fake cigars. NOt even worth the effort.

IF you must purchase a habano on one of those islands do not buy from vendors on the street.. do no buy glass top anything...LOL! I would try a larger hotel store or an acutal Habanos retail store..

GOod luck and buyer beware!

I am going on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas and St. Marteen this summer. I know I can't fly with my lighter but is there anyway to get a torch lighter to the ship?
    Welcome (again) to the group!

Congrats on the cruise - I just came back on one myself (to St. Thomas & St. Maarten as well). You can't bring a lighter on the plane and if you mail it to yourself, I think (but I'm not 100% positive) it's considered hazardous b/c of the flammable liquid - so those are bad. Like NH said, pick up a bic, or use matches. I will say the advantage of using a cheap lighter versus the matches on a boat is wind - if you're lighting up on deck, you'll always have it and it sucks (I was the idiot going through a book before I wised up).

Also I understand I can bring back 100 cigars duty free from St. Thomas and Cubans are available on St. Marteen. Can anyone provide me suggestions on where to shop while on the islands?
    B/c St. Thomas is a US territory, you can technically pick up more smokes and alcohol there than if you were going "international" i.e. St. Maarten. Cruise ship will tell you the exact amount in the announcements (and there will be lots of announcements).

If you're buying sticks, buy them at La Casa Del Habano in St. Maarten. Do NOT buy ISOMs any where else on your port stops - they will most likely be fake. There are a lot of cigar shops in St. Maarten - only go the LCDH.

Do a search in the forum and on the web - some clues to tell you how to spot 'em (i.e. glass boxed Cohibas). Prices are reasonable and the selection is fantastic. Any other smokes (Dom Rep, etc.) - no one really fakes 'em too much so you just have to watch out about getting gouged.

You should expect prices that are AT OR BETTER than what you'd find in the US. If you're not familiar with pricing, go to a mail-order site (famous or jrtobacco) and request a catalog (or just jot down the prices of your desired smokes) for comparison.

One thing - bring a punch cutter. Assuming you're bringing some smokes, you want to bring one and you might get crap from TSA re: guillotines.

Enjoy the cruise. PM me if you have any specific questions or just post 'em here.

Cheers!
    Last edited by mauied1101; 04-03-2006 at 10:11 PM. Reason: guillotine etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    Welcome (again) to the group!

Congrats on the cruise - I just came back on one myself (to St. Thomas & St. Maarten as well). You can't bring a lighter on the plane and if you mail it to yourself, I think (but I'm not 100% positive) it's considered hazardous b/c of the flammable liquid - so those are bad. Like NH said, pick up a bic, or use matches. I will say the advantage of using a cheap lighter versus the matches on a boat is wind - if you're lighting up on deck, you'll always have it and it sucks (I was the idiot going through a book before I wised up).

B/c St. Thomas is a US territory, you can technically pick up more smokes and alcohol there than if you were going "international" i.e. St. Maarten. Cruise ship will tell you the exact amount in the announcements (and there will be lots of announcements).

If you're buying sticks, buy them at La Casa Del Habano in St. Maarten. Do NOT buy ISOMs any where else on your port stops - they will most likely be fake. There are a lot of cigar shops in St. Maarten - only go the LCDH.

Do a search in the forum and on the web - some clues to tell you how to spot 'em (i.e. glass boxed Cohibas). Prices are reasonable and the selection is fantastic. Any other smokes (Dom Rep, etc.) - no one really fakes 'em too much so you just have to watch out about getting gouged.

You should expect prices that are AT OR BETTER than what you'd find in the US. If you're not familiar with pricing, go to a mail-order site (famous or jrtobacco) and request a catalog (or just jot down the prices of your desired smokes) for comparison.

One thing - bring a punch cutter. Assuming you're bringing some smokes, you want to bring one and you might get crap from TSA re: guillotines.

Enjoy the cruise. PM me if you have any specific questions or just post 'em here.

Cheers!

Good advice here.

I'll be going on my Honeymoon in October. It is a cruise on the Mexican Riviera. I will not be flying as the ship will dock from Long Beach, CA. Should I worry about taking a torch lighter, or is the issue only about taking it on a plane?

"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TSoprano
    I'll be going on my Honeymoon in October. It is a cruise on the Mexican Riviera. I will not be flying as the ship will dock from Long Beach, CA. Should I worry about taking a torch lighter, or is the issue only about taking it on a plane?
    plane. you're ok if you're not flying. congrats (or condolences? ) on the nuptials.

Thanks for the great advice.

Are there any Cuban Maduros of note?

If you want to fly with your lighter, you should check this one out. I still wouldn't try this on a carry-on, but in checked baggage, should be ok.

http://www.otterbox.com/products/zippo_case/

And thanks to Joe M on CP http://www.vectorkgm.com/catalog/tem...ch/titanic.cfm

edit: fixed link
    Last edited by NullSmurf; 04-04-2006 at 11:04 AM.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

18. Default

Thanks for the great advice.

Are there any Cuban Maduros of note?
    There is no such thing as a Cuban Maduro. Every wrapper on a Cuban is simply a Cuban wrapper. Happy smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by tylernim
    There is no such thing as a Cuban Maduro. Every wrapper on a Cuban is simply a Cuban wrapper. Happy smoking!
    Maybe he means the ELs. I thought they normally had a darker wrapper than the regular ones?
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring
    Maybe he means the ELs. I thought they normally had a darker wrapper than the regular ones?

If they do, it is because of more vigorous fermenting...perhaps more heat in the center of the barrel, or fermented longer.

Thread Information