Thread: Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Cuban Cigars

Default Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Cuban Cigars

I won a 5er of these cigars from Hex for winning his contest and thought I should do a review and thank Hex for his generousity. Keep in mind that my reviews usually just consist of I Like It or I Don't Like It. So bear with me........

The cigar came in a wooden box containing 5 cigars wrapped in burlap and had a tag on it with the number "106" which was hand-written.

I opened the package and took a cigar. They had a nice aroma to them, not like a Cuban, but not like a dog-rocket. The construction of the cigar was what took me by surprise. I wouldn't say it was poorly constructed, just different. Not a very smooth construction, kinda reminded me of a Backwoods.

I clipped the end of the cigar and took a pre-lit draw, not alot of flavor but I did notice a small hint of cocoa. Pre-lit draw was easy but not as easy I like.

The cigar lit easily and stayed lit evenly the whole way down. I got the ash to hold on for about 1 1/2 inches before it fell off. The ash was more of a grey than a white. Once again I tasted a cocoa flavor. Not alot of smoke but definitley did not feel plugged. With the darkness of the wrapper and the "Pre-Embargo Cuban Tobacco" I expected alot more of a full bodied smoke. This struck me more of a medium bodied smoke.

I recommend this as a smoke to try if you like a medium bodied smoke. It might be too light for a person who smokes fuller bodied cigars.
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Smile

Bk,

Thanks for that review. Gives the new guy a small idea of how he can enjoy his cigar a bit more. What's with letting the ash stay on?
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

I ordered a fiver of these for Camino Viejo last week. The cigars and packaging look great. Since my taste is more in the medium strength range right now, I am looking forward to lighting one of these up. Thanks for the review, BK.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Thread Information