Thread: New to cigars....need advice on a good first.

Default New to cigars....need advice on a good first.

Hello, I'm turning 18 in one month and I'm interested in trying out a cigar. My question is, what is a good first brand or type of cigar to try?

My stepdad gave me a Romeo y Julieta (churchill it says on the actual cigar, are they cuban?), would this bee good (I'm not going to try until I'm 18)? Problem is, the Romeo is a bit stale and dry, is there a way to bring it back to life or is it dead?

I'm willing to spend up to $30 on a good one. I don't want my first experience to be a bad one.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Vigcs; 03-23-2005 at 03:08 PM.

I'd suggest a Montecristo White label . run you about 8-12 bucks. fairly mild with great flavor.

Default Happy Birthday (in advance)

If the Romeo y J has just been kept "outside" in room air, chances are at this point it's hopeless. Sorry. If I were you I wouldn't even bother smoking it. It would be a very bad experience if it's dried out.

The Montecristo White Label line Drake spoke of are very nice and a fav of mine too for a milder cigar.

I also want to comment that going out and spending $30 right now on a cigar would be foolish. Let me explain.

You have yet to educate your palette. You don't yet know what to look for in a cigar's flavor. You don't know how a good cigar tastes. You don't know how cigar brands and styles can vary in flavor. Just because a cigar costs $30 doesn't mean it's good. Some of the best cigars around sell for about $5 to $10, no joking. Hell, there a actually a few cigars out there like Maria Mancini's that sell for around $3 to $4 that have gotten rave reviews from many afficionados. Some very expensive cigars just aren't worth the money. If you go out and spend $30 on a cigar and light it up you will have ZERO idea of what you are smoking since you have nothing to compare it to.

Quite frankly, I have no idea why ANYONE would even want to spend $30 on a cigar! I certainly wouldn't! (well.....maybe If I won the lottery.....MAYBE) Save your money or spend it wiser.

Most cigar smokers will tell you. Start out with mild cigars. I would recommend MACANUNDO cigars. They are mild. They are consistent and well made. They are also affordable. A nice Mac costs around $6. There are many other nice, mild cigars out there to try. As I said, start mild, explore the different brands. Most important ASK your tobacconist! He/She will be very happy to help in your selections.

After you have been smoking for a while, start trying stronger stuff. The Romeo lines are a great step up from the Macanudos. After that try Punch or Gloria Cubana. Again, ask about different brands. Any good cigar shop owner will gladly help. Don't be embarassed to ask. That's what their job is!

As you go along, your experience will be the best teacher. Everyone has their own preferences as far as favorite cigars. What one may consider awesome, another may consider it a dud. The only way to find out is to try. That's most of the fun with cigars. Trying new stuff!

Most of all, remember and I mean this sincerely........a high price doesn't mean you will be getting an enjoyable cigar. You'll see!

Have fun and good smokes (and wait till your 18!!!!)

p.s. "everything in moderation"

Thanks for the replies, I'll get two or three of the Montecristo White Lables. Are the romeo y julieta cuban?

No worries, I've got 1 month to the day till I'm 18 (april 23).

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigcs
    Thanks for the replies, I'll get two or three of the Montecristo White Lables. Are the romeo y julieta cuban?

No worries, I've got 1 month to the day till I'm 18 (april 23).

Thanks for the advice.

Romeos are indeed cuban :-). As mmab said, dont try smoking it dry. The stick will taste bitter and harsh due to the greater temperature that a dried out cigar burns at. If you're interested in cigar smoking, you're going to want to purchase a humidor. www.cheaphumidors.com is a great site to check out.

Before you can properly evaluate the taste of a cigar, you need to first ensure that you're smoking it properly. Make sure the burn is nice and even, take no more than 3-4 puffs a minute, as any more may cause your cigar to burn at a hotter temperature, which leads to bitter tastes. And remember to draw the smoke into your mouth nice and slow.

I've just scratched the surface here. thorough information is available on almost any major cigar site, any of which may be found by simply googling "cigars"

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forums!
    Last edited by Yeagermeister; 03-23-2005 at 08:14 PM.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

Default Oh......I forgot

Many of the cigar brands have a national duality.

RyJ was originally a Cuban brand as are many of the cigar brands out there. But since the dawn of Fidel Castro and the Cuban embargo in the early sixties, many cigar manufacturers fled Cuba to begin anew in the Domincan Republic and parts of South America where they continue to use the original Cuban names, logos and artwork even though the names are still used in Cuba today. The new versions can be as good or sometimes even better than the Cuban originals.

The RyJ you have is unlikely Cuban. It would say Romeo y Julieta "Habana" on the label. Even if it does, there's a good chance it's a counterfeit as the USA is plagued with counterfeit Cuban cigars. The RyJ you have is probably Domincan and an excellent cigar. But as I said, if it's dry, it's not worth smoking.

Don't waste your time pursuing Cuban cigars now. Don't walk into a cigar shop and ask for Cuban cigars either. You'll sound like a fool. Cuban cigars are illegal in the USA and have been since 1963 because of the Cuban embargo. No reputable dealer will sell them. If you did find someone selling them they are most likely fakes and you'll be seriously ripped off. But you must remember, they are only illegal in the USA. Other countries including Canada import them. So you will see a lot of print about Cuban cigars on the internet and in magazines. They can be some of the best available but not worth the hassle and money it would cost to get them.

Another piece of advice........read......read all you can about cigars and their storage and cigar etiquette.

A great web site is this one >>>>>> www.cigarnexus.com

If you do go to this site, scroll down just a bit and cllick on the heading that says "The Ultimate Cigar Storage Manifesto".

It's a good read on basic cigar storage.

Search the web. There's LOTS of stuff out there!
    Last edited by MMAB; 03-23-2005 at 08:37 PM. Reason: DOH! Spelling!

MMAB has given some great advice and info here...bravo.

I just want to agree that finding a good cigar shop with a knowledgable staff is the best way to start your journey. The owner of the shop i frequent here has basically walked me through my introduction to cigars and made it a wonderful experience. He truly enjoys talking about the differences between all the tobaccos and asks questions about my tastes as we go along...then makes suggestions. You can tell that he enjoys his job. I was a little apprehensive when I first started smoking, but I think he and his staff really enjoy getting ahold of a new smoker and making sure they really enjoy it as much as possible.

Welcome to the boards.

I have an alternative suggestion for you. By the way, I'm just started smoking about a month and a half ago; I'm 19.

I recommend you try a Baccarat and anything from the Drew Estate Natural line. Both are my preferred smokes. I've tried other things and they just don't stand up to my tastes. Additionally, there are many excellent types of cigars out there (even sub $1 a stick) that just need to sit in a humidor for a good year or two.

Bottom line, get 5 - 10 different cigars and smoke them all over a month. Some you will like, others you might hate. Even better, find someone with a humidor and get them to give you some free "samples."

i would recommend carlos torano 1916 cameroon, or montesino, or a te-amo. I'm fairly new to smoking, and i think the best part is sampling all the different kinds to find which i like and which i dont.

also, i would recommend keeping a lil notebook and put the label and name of the cigar and such in it with a few comments on it and ratings, so later on you'll be able to remember which cigars you liked and why, or which you hated and why

I'm pretty new to smoking cigars also, but right away I seem to like at least a medium to full taste cigar. To me the Montecristo White Lable was not very good at all. First its not cheap and to me it lacked any flavor at all. You can try a CAO just not the Extreme! I also like the RyJ and Trinidad. Anyway good luck and don't inhale.

What about a Coheba as my first?

13. Default

Do you mean Cohiba Red Dot or the original Cuban Cohiba?

The truth is it doesn't really matter what you first smoke is. Just make sure that the cigar you smoke is ready to smoke. If needs to sit in the humidor for another 3 months or a year then try something else.

The first tobbaconist I tried was really helpful, and wlling to spend time with me. In the time since I have tried a couple of other locations in town and have since decided to be loyal only to the first guy I went too. He is by far the most helpful and he keeps his humidor at the proper levels. He has an actual room you walk into too. The other two shops I visited had low humidity in some of their displays to the point that the cigars would *crunch* a little when you felt it..... Either way, a good store makes all the differance in enjoying cigars!

These guys are steering you down the right path. Hit a local shop that is willing to answer questions. You probably can't go wrong with a mild smoke like the white label to start out.

Default Try a Montecristo No 2

Hi and welcome. I'm new here myself but not new to cigar smoking. Been smoking them for about 5 years and for me nothing does it better than a nice Montecristo No 2. Smooth flavor (mild) amd a nice draw. Not your everyday cigar. Generally for an everyday cigar I very but right now I have "Consuegra" in my humidor. These cigars are hand made Genuine Factory Seconds from the manufacturers of Hoyo de Monterrey, Punch, Belinda and El Rey Del Mundo. Seconds contain the same tobacco & wrapper as firsts, however, because of their slight imperfections, they vary with darkness and lightness as well as size. As a side note my birthday is also April 23. Enjoy the smokes.

Blog Entries

Montecristo No 2's are one of my favorites! I'm a big fan of torpedo's and I have been rarely disappointed with one.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thread Information