Thread: Cutting torpedos to smoke

Default Cutting torpedos to smoke

Hey all,

So... you have a "torpedo" style end on your cigar. What is the best way to cut or punch that baby for a smoke to keep the wrapper from doing anything wierd....?

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Guillotine cut. I usually cut about 1/4" up depending on the taper. Start off with a smaller cut, you can allways make it bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    Hey all,

So... you have a "torpedo" style end on your cigar. What is the best way to cut or punch that baby for a smoke to keep the wrapper from doing anything wierd....?

-W.
    please show me what a torpedo cigar with a "punch" cut looks like. I've never seen it.

Some people cut them at an angle, I've used a V-Cut before. I recommend a double blade cutter and start with a small cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakinboy
    please show me what a torpedo cigar with a "punch" cut looks like. I've never seen it.

Some people cut them at an angle, I've used a V-Cut before. I recommend a double blade cutter and start with a small cut.
    Well the reason I asked is because I saw mention somewhere of punching a torpedo and it was described that the hole was not at the end, but on the side of the tip.... I found that odd, hence this question

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Well the reason I asked is because I saw mention somewhere of punching a torpedo and it was described that the hole was not at the end, but on the side of the tip.... I found that odd, hence this question

-W.
    interesting. I have never heard of somebody punching a Torpedo...
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Hey monk.

I went into a local B&M one Saturday a few weeks ago and bought my first Nicaraguan, a Torpedo. I asked him to cut it for me (I didn't have any smokes or cutter with me) and without hesitation he did exactly as KB said above. A small cut with a double-blade on an angle. The one he did was about a 30* angle.

Depending on the cigar,how easy it draws and how strong it is nicotene-wise will be my decideing factor on the cut.
    Always a double bladed guilletine cutter.Easy drawing gars' get 1/4-1/3 of a cut.
    Strong cigars with easy draw get same but I cut again at 1/3rd finish and again at last third for a full cut(no taper left).
    The reason being is that strong gars' with high nicotine content tends to leave resin and tar build up at a small cut and to get decent flavor I cut after the build up is easily noticeable.

Punching a tapered gar's sounds silly imo.To punch on top like a flute is even sillier.
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

Or if you're a cheapskate like me and use the free single bladed guillotine - turn the stick slowly as you're cutting into it so you get an event cut and don't smash the stick. Not as a good as a double bladed, but works for me!
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

HeadHoncho Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Penguin
    Depending on the cigar,how easy it draws and how strong it is nicotene-wise will be my decideing factor on the cut.
    Always a double bladed guilletine cutter.Easy drawing gars' get 1/4-1/3 of a cut.
    Strong cigars with easy draw get same but I cut again at 1/3rd finish and again at last third for a full cut(no taper left).
    The reason being is that strong gars' with high nicotine content tends to leave resin and tar build up at a small cut and to get decent flavor I cut after the build up is easily noticeable.

Punching a tapered gar's sounds silly imo.To punch on top like a flute is even sillier.
    That's funny, I have never had nicotine build up to the point that any of my cigars have stopped flowing smoke. On my Padron 6000 Maduro's for example, I will make a small cut so that the opening is about a 3/8 of an inch or so. Using this measurement and confirming the said dimensions with a digital caliper each time I prepare a delicious torpedo style cigar for smoking always ensures a trouble and nicotine build-up free puffing experience.

HH

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHoncho
    That's funny, I have never had nicotine build up to the point that any of my cigars have stopped flowing smoke.

HH
    Me either.
    But it does build up to ruin the taste a bit.
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring
    I've seen it done but it seems to me that it would be an awkward way to smoke one and not to mention the problem there must be with the draw.

LFD chisel gives you a "flute" like experience if you punch it on top... I thought it was weird when I smoked one cut like that.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

-W.
    The only torp I've seen "punched" is an LFD Chisel. With that you make a punch just through the wrapper, but not clean through to the other side.

HeadHoncho Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring
    So sad really....punching a poor defenseless torpedo cigar. They can't punch back you know. On the other hand ... try that with a Punch Punch cigar!

HH

Thread Information