Thread: what is this cigar?

Question what is this cigar?

picked it up at the local smokeshop. did a lot of googling before i came here...

label looks just like the cohiba label (is it called a label?) out of cuba, it says "reserva especial" at the top, has the yellow and black on it, at the bottom in smaller text "republica dominicana" and the gold sillouette of the profile of the womans head in the middle.

obv my first thought is that this is a cohiba, apparently not, because i cannot find a cigar with the name cohiba that looks like this and is made in the domincan.

anyone know? im sure everyone here does and i have just shown that i am a total noob.

hope to stick around for a while and learn a few things about quality smokes. cheers!

dual

2. Default

Sounds like you got a Cohiba knockoff. They are not real Cohibas. I bet it was not even rolled in the Dominician Republic. Lots of these are rolled in Miami using poor grade tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    Sounds like you got a Cohiba knockoff. They are not real Cohibas. I bet it was not even rolled in the Dominician Republic. Lots of these are rolled in Miami using poor grade tobacco.
    yeah, id believe that. it actually tastes pretty good though.

why does this forum keep redirecting me to the forum index when i try to post

Colita? I don't know if they make bigger cigars.

well if i like the knockoff i take it ill like th real thing.
    are the cohiba from the dominican that i found online any good

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dual
    well if i like the knockoff i take it ill like th real thing.
    are the cohiba from the dominican that i found online any good
    I have some Cohiba Bundles made in the Dominican Republic. I keep a bundle stashed for myself. Great every day smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    I have some Cohiba Bundles made in the Dominican Republic. I keep a bundle stashed for myself. Great every day smokes.
    sweet. ill check those out. yeah im not lookin for anything too expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    Hex,

Quote from your website:
    "These yellow band Cohiba cigars were made in the Montecristi factory in the Dominican Republic and imported before being outlawed in the United States."

Just curious why they were outlawed. I may order a bundle of these to hand out to bummin' buddies if they aren't too strong.

why do you guys post your addresses here, just curious

Eventually, many, if not most, folks who come here and stay will begin participating in passes, PIF's, and other trades. That's what makes a cigar board so damn cool. Posting addresses is more convenient than having to be pm'ed for it. Some folks don't post addy in public for various reasons.

Stick around, get a feel for the "personality" of CigarSmokers, use search and then ask questions - if you stay, you'll find yourself getting involved in the fun.

Post an intro somewhere - tell a little about yourself, what cigars you like, etc. Welcome to CSmokers.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

so even after finding out they were knockoffs i went back because i was jonesing for a smoke and that last one was pretty tasty.. sort of a sweet aroma and flavor
    that was a torpedo, this time i got longer ones, 3 of them to tide me over until i can order some "real" ones online.

so this doesnt even seem like the same cigar different smell, taste, not terrible but not as nice.

anyway i will be ordering some of the "outlawed" ones linked above if they are still available, how should i store them when i get them?

about me - 25 live in michigan and i know nothing about cigars. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dual
    picked it up at the local smokeshop. did a lot of googling before i came here...
    Probably the easisest way to identify cigars is to ask the smoke shop fella when you buy the cigars.

Welcome. its sounds as if you are eager to enter cigar land .
    Last edited by Desert Rat; 04-13-2006 at 08:49 PM.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

I'm not sure who makes the Cohiba "Knockoff" Or "Yellow Label." They are outlawed in the US because General Cigar makes Dominican Cohiba "Red Dot" Cohiba website at General Cigar
    They, General Cigar, sued the "Other" Cohiba maunfacturer for copyright infringement and won.
    The "Knockoff" Cohiba company was told to stop making the Yellow Label Cohibas but, they were allowed to sell off all remaining stock of their brand. Thus the "Illegal Cohiba"
    Eventually you will stop seeing the yellow label stuff at your local shop. But if you like them smoke'em while you can.

And No they are nothing like the Cuban Cohibas.

Leo
    Last edited by Lazy1; 04-13-2006 at 10:09 PM.
    The only thing missing from my life is money and more Cigars.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Hey Dual, where in Michigan?? I'm close to Windsor, just across the River.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy1
    I'm not sure who makes the Cohiba "Knockoff" Or "Yellow Label." They are outlawed in the US because General Cigar makes Dominican Cohiba "Red Dot" Cohiba website at General Cigar
    They, General Cigar, sued the "Other" Cohiba maunfacturer for copyright infringement and won.
    The "Knockoff" Cohiba company was told to stop making the Yellow Label Cohibas but, they were allowed to sell off all remaining stock of their brand. Thus the "Illegal Cohiba"
    Eventually you will stop seeing the yellow label stuff at your local shop. But if you like them smoke'em while you can.

And No they are nothing like the Cuban Cohibas.

Leo
    hey thanks for the info. i dont even think the cohiba knockoffs i got here are the same as the ones linked to on this thread. the ones here dont say cohiba, but they have the yellow and black label, with the womans head in gold. doesnt look quite like the one on that website from pg 1 of the thread

and newfie, im up north... alpena. pretty boring!

thanks for welcoming me so kindly, chaps.

Thread Information