Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowing to pressure

1. Default Bowing to pressure

Due to pressure from my wife, granddaughter and doctor I'm gonna have to do a few lifestyle changes. Where I've been smoking 1-2 cigars a day I'm gonna cut back to 1-2 a week or less. I enjoy cigars too much to completely give em up. I have also attempted to loose weight in the past. I now must make a serious effort in that also.

The doc jumped my butt a couple weeks ago. When I passed this along to my wife she enlisted my granddaughter Lexee to help apply pressure.

I considered not listening to the doctor there is no way to escape my wife and Lexee.

I am in good health now and I really would like to stay that way.

For the record...I ain't dead or no where near it. I'm gonna keep hanging around. Gonna do a few more newbie sampler trades to get rid of excess stock...Possibly for some good rum. The doctor had no real objection to a drink or two.

I'm gonna confine my smoking to my favorite cigars.

Blog Entries

Good luck brother! Those darn Granddaughters have so much power for such little girls don't they.

That pressure is only there because your loved ones care. At least you are not stubborn and ignoring their plea as many of us have experienced with family members given medical advise.

Long live the Sarge!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Blog Entries

Good luck with everything sarge, there comes a time in a persons life when you got to start worrying about your health. I try to work out as much as possible, just to help stretch things out as long as I can. But I know the days is going to come when I'm going to have to cut back my little habbits...

I just hope its not any time soon.

You gotta do what you gotta do Sarge. I, for one, have appreciated the advice and guidance in your posts and would love to see you "hanging out" for a LOT longer.

Cheers to you
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Blog Entries

You can have fun here and not smoke cigars...trust me We want you along for a long time so you cut back a little, add some exercise to your life and drink lots of water. Doing all that will get everyone off your back and you will feel a lot better.
    Good luck!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

bigpoppapuff Guest

do the fat smash or south beach diet...they both work and are sensible.....work out at least 2-3 days each week....cardio too.....drink lots of water......3-5 cigars each week should be no problem if you do all of the above..

Man, bringing out the heavy artillary (grandkids) - that's some serious business. Good luck Sarge - I second the exercise advice, and the water. I work out regularly - run as often as I want, while my joints still hold up, and hit the gym 3-5 times a week. Don't regret a minute of it.

Lifestyle changes like you're talking about are hard at first but worth it!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

9. Default

Good luck with the new regimen, sarge...

I suggest running every day. If you can't run, walk every day. I found that when I was running Tuesdays and Thursdays, it was real easy to start skipping workouts and getting into a funk because they were so spread out. When I was running every day, if I missed a day, I'd just pick up the next day.

You don't have to become Rocky overnight, either. If you can run a mile, run that mile every day. Pretty soon, you'll start to feel good about running that mile and you can start to add more distance. Most beginners try to bite off more than they can chew and stop working out altogether.

I also suggest running out and back. If I run on a circular track, I'll stop sooner than I should. But if I run out to a location, I have to get home one way or another.

You probably already know this, but simply walking (at a minimum) for 30 minutes three times a week will cure a lot of what ails many of the elderly My Dad has the diabetes you pick up from not exercising and a sugary diet. The doctor said, you could have the thing licked if you just ate a little more sensibly, but more importantly, started walking 30 minutes 3 times a week. Now you're in TN, and there's some beautiful terrain out there. I say if the wife is applying the pressure, she'd be more than willing to join you on a nightly walk. Go for 4 times a week for 30 minutes, and shoot smoke your 'gar while doing it.

It's amazing how what seems like so little exercise can really help. My Dad's friend started walking, he doesn't have to take the diabetes pills anymore to control the insulin.

Sarge, good luck. Let me know if you need any Hennepin, like you said, Doctor didn't say stop the good liquids. And what's your favorite smoke?
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    You probably already know this, but simply walking (at a minimum) for 30 minutes three times a week will cure a lot of what ails many of the elderly

Good luck with that. I was also informed by my Doc that I'm a prime canidate for a heart attack and already made some changes. Its a rough road. At least you have loved ones near to keep you at it.

Good luck Sarge, I have to lose some weight as well and at 39 i am pushing it, so I know I gotta do something soon or it is all downhill from here.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

14. Default

Thanks for the support folks. I'm gonna give it a chance. I'm in good health and want to stay that way. I just need to do some things to insure that stays the same.

My day was overweight and wound up having double knee replacement at Christmas last year. It nearly killed him. That scared the crap outa me. I'm now avoiding fast food...The curse of my profession.

Far as the smoking goes it is starting to make sense to moderate it. I'm by myself at work 75% of the time and was using cigars to combat boredom.

OK...Now for Mr. BigMacFU. That elderly remark is totally out of line. Just for your information...I ain't elderly. I have a story to prove it.

I used to work with an elderly gentleman when I worked for Coca Cola. I walked into his office one day. He looked up at me and said, "Ken...I realized I'm getting old last night."

I asked him how he knew that.

He said, "When I got into the bathtub last night my nutz floated to the top of the bathwater."

Well Mr. BigMacFU...This has not happened to me yet.

Blog Entries

Omg this was the first time I ever look at your age on your profile. Your not old! I guess I always thought you were a lot older because of your avatar..I know it makes no sense

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Wish all the best for you sarge.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cinda
    Omg this was the first time I ever look at your age on your profile. Your not old! I guess I always thought you were a lot older because of your avatar..I know it makes no sense
    I chose my avatar because I like Ray Charles...With a little humor throw in.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Take care of yourself Sarge, make sure you're gonna live long to enjoy the bikes!!

If I happen to take a trip around Kentucky and Tenneesee again this year on the Wing, I'm gonna let you know and we'll hook up!

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie
    Take care of yourself Sarge, make sure you're gonna live long to enjoy the bikes!!

If I happen to take a trip around Kentucky and Tenneesee again this year on the Wing, I'm gonna let you know and we'll hook up!
    Cool...LMK

Good luck Sarge....... we want ya around a long time......

I see they had to bring out the big guns with ya....... the grand-daughter.......
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Thread Information