Thread: Opus xXx 'Power Ranger'

Default Opus xXx 'Power Ranger'

[newb review]

Well, I had one sitting in my humi and after a rough day at work I decided to burn it. Little did I know what I was getting myself into...

I pulled it out and it had that typical Opus Pre-light aroma. I was going for a short walk so I figured it would be perfect. So small...almost 'cute' looking. I did not suspect a thing as I clipped it cleanly. Took a draw and WOW...I could taste the spice. I got outside and lit it with my trusty zippo with z-light insert and took a draw. Nice. I knew I was in for a treat. Started walking. Took another couple draws and was suprised at the amount of smoke this petit beli could produce. Very nice draw...almost perfect. As it burned down I had to touch it up more than a few times before the band. Now I am reading that I should let it rest outside of the humi for a couple hours before smoking to cure the burn problems. Typical Fuente ash. Didn't fall until the band. As I neared the end I noticed a lot of tar buildup in the tip. I should have purged it a little more, but it was still managable. It didn't affect it too badly. When I finally finished it I was about a block away from home. Damn, it was just starting to hit me. I floated the rest of the way home. It was a truely amazing smoke. This is the first smoke I had that I could actually pick out the individual flavors and tastes. Although I couldn't for the life of me identify them, I could definately differentiate. Overall great smoke. Defiantely knocked me on my ass. I was expecting strong, but this completely blew the LFD double ligero I had last week out of the water. Great smoke, and defiantely worth the MSRP.

[/newb review]
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Upto this date, the Power Ranger is by far my favorite Opus X and that is even over hte BBMF I smoke. Not to take away from the BBMF, its a great smoke but the Power Ranger offered me what I was looking for in an Opus. From my experience, the initial taste seems like it will be a strong smoke, but not from my experience. Not strong whatsoever even on an empty stomach. But to make this fair since more dont know me here, I really dont have any taste buds nor a sense of smell. I can still appreciate a good smoke tho but cant really tell ya much about it. Loved the review tho. Makes me want to pull out an Opus and torch it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peat
    Upto this date, the Power Ranger is by far my favorite Opus X and that is even over hte BBMF I smoke. Not to take away from the BBMF, its a great smoke but the Power Ranger offered me what I was looking for in an Opus. From my experience, the initial taste seems like it will be a strong smoke, but not from my experience. Not strong whatsoever even on an empty stomach. But to make this fair since more dont know me here, I really dont have any taste buds nor a sense of smell. I can still appreciate a good smoke tho but cant really tell ya much about it. Loved the review tho. Makes me want to pull out an Opus and torch it right now.
    Interesting. What did you think of the BBMF? Would you reccomend letting it age for a bit, or is it ready to go?

Question

What did you mean by "Touch it up"?
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dickson
    What did you mean by "Touch it up"?
    Sorry, I meant touch it up with my lighter. As in it was burning unevenly.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring
    Interesting. What did you think of the BBMF? Would you reccomend letting it age for a bit, or is it ready to go?
    I'm sure it will age nicely. I have another sitting in a locker since both my BBMF's was from 2005. It was a great smoke, but IMHO it didnt remind me of the Opus X taste that I've come to expect and appreciate. Again, I cant stress enough the BBMF is a great smoke and worth smoking at least 1 time. It really reminded me of a Don Carlos crossed with a Hemingway blend. Alot of flavors and what not. Just not like the other Opus I have smoked.

LOL!

Nothing cute about this cigar.
    Powerhouse smoke with great flavor and spice.

Not for the timid.

First I want to say I apologize for "resurecting" an old thread, however, I am newbie material here.

I noticed he said "tar" buildup around the tip? Is that normal? I had a perfection X yesterday and noted no tar. Also have never noticed tar buildup unless I just never looked that closely.

Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by guado
    First I want to say I apologize for "resurecting" an old thread, however, I am newbie material here.

I noticed he said "tar" buildup around the tip? Is that normal? I had a perfection X yesterday and noted no tar. Also have never noticed tar buildup unless I just never looked that closely.

Is this normal?
    I am not sure why I noticed the tar on the tip. It could be that I didn't purge it partway through like I normally do to get rid of the buildup. I just assumed that becasue the XXX was a stronger blend, that there would be more tar.

I searched and searched..what is "purging" a cigar.

"Purging" a cigar is when you blow back through the cigar (instead of sucking). It pushes some of the crap back. I sometimes purge a cigar if I'm having burn issues, or if it is getting too hot for me. I'm not too sure if it helps eliminate the tar build upm though...

Another good reason to "Purge" the cigar is if you're going to smoke the cigar again later. You purge it, then leave it in the ashtray to burn out. When you fire it up the next day it will not be anywhere near as bitter as it gets if you don't...

Thread Information