Thread: Humidity Question

Default Humidity Question

I stay away from Cbid as much as possible, but have been in the market for a short time to pick up a cabinent humidor. A bunch of loose desktop units scattered with two giant tupperdors just will not compliment my soon to be smoking room. Anyway, I saw one on Cbid, laid down my max bid early on (not expecting to win) and low and behold, I won this last night:

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=343564

I have heard the Cigar Oasis units do not do a great job of regulating enough stable humidity throughout a cabinent. I also thought about picking up the 3 1/2 pounds of beads needed for the cubic feet on this and running some of those battery powered Glade fans. Before I go that route, I wanted to bounce my idea off of you. What if I picked up a small home cool mist humidifier like below and keep it full of distilled water? The challenge is that these will pump out about two gallons of water in a 24 hour period running continuously. Way too much moisture!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2354571

My proposed solution to over-running this unit is to get a plug in timer like the one in the link below and set it to run for maybe 30 seconds every 2 hours or so. I can then fine tune the duration and frequency to create a stable humidity.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Can anyone see any problems with this idea? Please share...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

I was at the B&M today and they run multiple Cigar Oasis in their non-walk floor-ceiling cabinets. Don't know if they supplement that with anything else though.

Only problem I see is that it's gonna be in your house and not mine. Nice cabinet and set up you've got going SLC!
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Whoa, sweet. I've seen walk-ins with humidifiers pumping out the mist. But there's a lot of square feet to deal with. I've also heard good things about the oasis. I have the beads and they work well - low maintanence. And that might be the problem with a humidifier (which might have several variables, like pumping different volumes depending on water level, or something) on a timer - you may be spending a lot of time trying to fine tune it, when there are good products out there that'll do the trick; re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.

Finally, if you do try it, the 30sec per 2 hour ratio sounds pretty wet to me. No way of knowing though unless you do try it.

Post pics when you get cigars in that baby!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Post pics when you get cigars in that baby!
    I agree with the statement above. Can't wait to see it full!

Nice piece pal, enjoy it!

Couple of comments...

I use a couple of similar things to keep the humidity up in the house, usually you can set the humidity level on them. However, I have had them leak water all over at times ruined the parket flooring in our condo we think (well we rent ).

So be very careful with it, and make sure the cabinet is levelled.

Also, the only other concern I would have is that unlike large walk-ins there isn't alot of airspace for it to blow up into, my concern would be that condensation might form on the tray or whatever above it with these kind of units.

Just my 2cents. Hope it is helpful, and awesome looking cabinet.. I saw one of those when browsing around, would love to own one myself

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Thanks, Gents. After reading responses and second thoughts, I will not re-invent the wheel. 3 1/2 lbs. of beads and mini fans it will be. I will let you know how the humidity shakes out and post pics of the cab w/ cigars and the smoking room sometime next month. We take control of the house earlier than expected- May 1. In the interest of letting my 12 year old finish out school where he is, I will be living in two houses for a month. Again, thanks for the input.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Blog Entries

That is an awesome cabinet James! Did you know that I was the first person to bid on that cabinet. I bid $100......(I just like to see them in my bid list to see how they go.) I am anxious to see pictures of it all loaded up in its new home!

Enjoy!
    puro pot pass VI loser

Quote Originally Posted by illilli
    That is an awesome cabinet James! Did you know that I was the first person to bid on that cabinet. I bid $100......(I just like to see them in my bid list to see how they go.) I am anxious to see pictures of it all loaded up in its new home!

Enjoy!

SLC... i.e. you can thank illillillillillilli for paying extra!
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    SLC... i.e. you can thank illillillillillilli for paying extra!
    aahahahahhaha.... oh the Internet.....

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Thread Information