Thread: constant re-lighting

Question constant re-lighting

What am I doing wrong. Every cigar I smoke burns out after the ash falls off. Even if I take a few quick puffs to ensure it stays lit. It's happened with Punch, CAO, Cusano and about 5 others.

They're probably too wet. Keep them at a 65% RH.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

thanks

another thing you should look into is your lighting method cyras.

not to sound pompous but do you know how to properly roast/toast a cigar etc?

if it isnt lit properly from the begining, i have found, you will have trouble keeping it lit. at the very least, it helps to light it properly.

i like to roast/toast . . . whatever the heck you call it. . . . my cigars well in a circular motion to make sure the flame is distributed evenly at the foot of the cigar. i dont like to just roast it, i like to keep the flame at the foot for just a bit longer in order to , in my mind, deepen the level of roasting towards the head. be careful though, you dont want the cigar to burn too hot either. after i have roasted/toasted it i blow a puff outward as to remove any impurities that may have accumulated from lighting with whatever fuel i just used. this does work no matter what anyone says. . . try lighting a cigar with a cheap paper match and as you are doing so or right after you first light it, take a big puff and tell me that the impurities from that paper match never reach your mouth and travel through the cigar so fast lol.

anyway, i blow one puff out and then i draw the flame close again and puff in to draw the flame/heat in a bit. i recommend you practice this as to not over burn, if you will, your cigar. also, if you will be doing this with paper matches, at least wait till the sulfur burns off of them to do this.

i do it this way with my torch lighter which i carry "premium fuel" in so i dont have a problem with added taste or impurities etc. im sure you do the same. if you dont, you will notice a difference when you do.

hope this helps some.
    Last edited by BarryBuc; 04-17-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Definitely sounds like they are too wet........ 65% RH is where you want them for smoking
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Quote Originally Posted by cyras21
    Every cigar I smoke burns out after the ash falls off.It's happened with Punch, CAO, Cusano and about 5 others.
    Yep, too moist. I've smoked dem cigars and not had a problem keeping them lit.

Another symptom of wet gars is tight draw. Most CAO I've smoked have a fairly easy draw, so that might give you another clue as to their moisture content.

Cheers
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

i guess i have no idea what im talking about then . . . lol

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBuc
    i guess i have no idea what im talking about then . . . lol
    LMAO...... no Barry..... Everybody has their own way of lighting cigars, some guys torch the end some guys don't... I believe that Bigpoppapuff is dead set against it. If he is having trouble keeping the cigar lit, it is most likely from the RH being to high...

If the cigar lights unevenly in the beginning, then it is probably due to improper lighting.
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

thanks for the tip . . . no pun intended

10. Default

I don't think any of you guys give two shits right now how I light a cigar...but this is my routine...

I roll the stick in a circular motion about an inch over the flame, not touching the flame to the stick. I never light the center, only the edges and won't take a puff until the entire edge of the end of the leaf is a different shade.

That's my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by PartagasGuy
    I don't think any of you guys give two shits right now how I light a cigar...but this is my routine...

I roll the stick in a circular motion about an inch over the flame, not touching the flame to the stick. I never light the center, only the edges and won't take a puff until the entire edge of the end of the leaf is a different shade.

That's my two cents...
    That actually doesn't sound like a bad method and I may have to try that. Thanks for the post.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

12. Default

Thank You...that's just my two cents.

I actually learned that from Jim Belushi. Years ago, I remember him doing a cigar segment on 20/20, Dateline or one of those news/interview shows and he gave a lesson on how to properly light a stick. I just took his advice and it works great.

It's always an even burn because you control what part of the rim needs to be heated...without the flame ever touching the wrapper. That will dry the tobacco prematurely. And if by chance there is an uneven burn, I just gently blow outward through the cigar and that somehow fixes it on the other end. And it always seems to be a cool burn too...

Thread Information