Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-Year Today Contest

Default 1-Year Today Contest

To celebrate one year at this forum, my home on internet cigar forums, I want to offer up this contest. There will be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

I want to know what the Cubs record will be for the week (starting with tomorrow night's game and including Sunday the 30th's game), and the scores for each game this week they play. The people closest to the right answer will receive their respective prizes. 1st the largest, and 2nd and 3rd getting smaller and smaller. In the unlikely event of a tie-breaker (since technically, the point differential in scores could end up a tie) you must also post what you think Maddux's ERA will be after Sunday's game next week and his K total.

Obviously no editing of posts after the last entry time which is 6:59 PM EST tomorrow. Also, no duplicate entries. That's it kiddies, go to town.

And yes, this is slightly complicated, but I love my Cubbies and I love baseball stats!
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Congrats on your anniversary and thanks for the contest!

The Cubs will go 500- 3 and 3 for the week

Scores:
    Mon 3 to 2
    Tue 5 to 7
    Wed 8 to 5

Fri 3 to 8
    Sat 2 to 6
    Sun 9 to 3
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    To celebrate one year at this forum, my home on internet cigar forums, I want to offer up this contest. There will be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

I want to know what the Cubs record will be for the week (starting with tomorrow night's game and including Sunday the 30th's game), and the scores for each game this week they play. The people closest to the right answer will receive their respective prizes. 1st the largest, and 2nd and 3rd getting smaller and smaller. In the unlikely event of a tie-breaker (since technically, the point differential in scores could end up a tie) you must also post what you think Maddux's ERA will be after Sunday's game next week and his K total.

Obviously no editing of posts after the last entry time which is 6:59 PM EST tomorrow. Also, no duplicate entries. That's it kiddies, go to town.

And yes, this is slightly complicated, but I love my Cubbies and I love baseball stats!
    Why are you using Eastern Standard Time? Are you in a location where you don't recognize Daylight Saving Time?

Normally, I'd say 0-6 but the Cubs are lucky enough to be playing two LOSER teams this week in Chicago (the horrible Marlins and the pathetic Brewers).

Okay, the Cubs (who SUCK) have two schmucks starting on Tuesday and Wednesday, both with ERAs over SIX, (LMFAO) and you're slated to go against two of the best Marlins pitchers. You'll probalby win on Monday but forget about Tuesday and Wednesday:

Monday: Chicago 7, Florida 4
    Tuesday: Florida 6, Chicago 3
    Wednesday: Florida 7, Chicago 2

Thursday will be a banner day for the Cubs as they are OFF that day which means it's impossible for them to LOSE yet another game (good thing too because that sorry ass Rusch was scheduled to pitch)

Now on to Friday, if the Cubbies had any brains, they'd pitch Maddux on Friday but since they don't, we'll see Rusch lose AGAIN since the Brewers will be starting Bush. Okay you'll get your measly win on Saturday when Maddux goes against Davis but on Sunday, once again the hapless Cubs will LOSE when Zambrano faces Davis. Let's put some scores to these fiascos:

Friday: Milwaukee 6, Chicago 3
    Saturday: Chicago 8, Milwaukee 2
    Sunday: Milwaukee 4, Chicago 3

Oh, I almost forgot, 27 strikeouts and and ERA of 1.41

In case you want to follow REAL baseball teams, I have some questions for you:

Which two teams have the best record in baseball today?
    Which two teams went to the World Series last year?

Hint: The answer to both of those questions is the same.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 04-23-2006 at 11:29 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

And the response is, 3 weeks into the season. The Astros offense will not stay hot, and other than Oswalt and Pettite, the SP's are suspect. The Cubs won't do squat, I acknowledge that. But the White Sox have problems too. Look at Freddy Garcia and Garland, two key pitchers last year who are sucking balls this year. But, your outlook is interesting Bill, though I'd probably sell Davis over Maddux this weekend since the Brewers are on fire right now with the bats. Desert, don't forget the ERA and K total of Maddux.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

5. Post

Ok since I don't have the colorful commentary that CC has I will just post some picks and see what happens.

Monday- Cubs 6 Marlins 4
    Tuesday- Cubs 5 Marlins 7
    Wednesday- Cubs 7 Marlins 3

Friday- Cubs 3 Brewers 5
    Saturday- Cubs 4 Brewers 2
    Sunday- Cubs 3 Brewers 7

So if my math is right I have the Cubs going 3-3 as well.
    As far as Maddux ending ERA I'll have to say 1.89 with 24K's
    "...How oft it happens when one's smoking,
    The tamper's missing from it's shelf,
    And one goes with one's finger poking
    Into the bowl and burns oneself.
    If in the pipe such pain doth dwell
    How hot must be the pains of Hell!

Thus o'er my pipe in contemplation
    Of such things - I can constantly
    Indulge in fruitful meditation,
    And so, puffing contentedly,
    On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
    I smoke my pipe and worship God."

Johann Sebastian Bach - 1725 (1685-1750)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    And the response is, 3 weeks into the season. The Astros offense will not stay hot, and other than Oswalt and Pettite, the SP's are suspect. The Cubs won't do squat, I acknowledge that. But the White Sox have problems too. Look at Freddy Garcia and Garland, two key pitchers last year who are sucking balls this year. But, your outlook is interesting Bill, though I'd probably sell Davis over Maddux this weekend since the Brewers are on fire right now with the bats. Desert, don't forget the ERA and K total of Maddux.
    LMFAO!! And how do you KNOW they won't stay hot, just 'cause you don't want them to?

Astros starting pitching "suspect" oh and the Cubs' is what SOLID? Gimme a break, you've only got Maddux and the rest SUCK.

Taylor Bucholtz, Wandy Rodriguez and Fernando Nieve along with Backe (once he gets better) are doing pretty damn well right now. We've also got Zeke Astacio and probably one of the best bullpens in the National League.

Who knows, after May 8th Roger Clemens may be back!

White Sox "have problems" DAMN, I'll bet you wish the Cubbies had similar "problems" like a 13-5 record.

Watch out for Milwaukee this year, odds are they'll finish higher in the NL Central than the Cubs which means the Cubs will finish FOURTH since we all know Houston and St. Louis will finish 1st and 2nd respectively.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Well, I don't know jack about baseball any more. I stopped caring back when the smucks went on strike. I was just starting to really get into baseball for the first time and then BAM!

Anyway, I want to congratulate you BigMacFU on a year here at the forum.
    puro pot pass VI loser

So far only three entries, that means 1st 2nd and 3rd are accounted for, oh well, slow day, Monday will get some responses, people have to do something at work.

Cubs are gonna REALLY suck wind for the next 6-8 weeks with Lee out of the lineup... Look what happened in St. Louis. They kept getting on base, but couldn't score. They do not have any real consistent long ball hitters right now.

My predicted outcomes are similar to CC's:

Monday: Chicago 5, Florida 3
    Tuesday: Florida 6, Chicago 1
    Wednesday: Florida 5, Chicago 1

Friday: Milwaukee 7, Chicago 3
    Saturday: Milwaukee 5, Chicago 1
    Sunday: Chicago 9, Milwaukee 4

Maddux's ERA will be 1.53 with 21K's

GO SOX!!!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

First of all, congrats on your first Anniversary!

OK, now to business:

I think your Cubbies will go 4 & 2.

Monday- Cubs 4 Marlins 2
    Tuesday- Cubs 3 Marlins 4
    Wednesday- Cubs 6 Marlins 3

Friday- Cubs 6 Brewers 5
    Saturday- Cubs 1 Brewers 3
    Sunday- Cubs 4 Brewers 3

I'd guess Maddy will have 10 K's with a 1.82 ERA.

Then again, I'm a Canadian, what the hell do I know about baseball?? Even the players on Canadian teams get paid in US Funds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie
    Shit, I meant to say 17 strike-outs. Guess I'll have to live with 10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie
    First of all, congrats on your first Anniversary!

OK, now to business:

I think your Cubbies will go 4 & 2.

Monday- Cubs 4 Marlins 2
    Tuesday- Cubs 3 Marlins 4
    Wednesday- Cubs 6 Marlins 3

Friday- Cubs 6 Brewers 5
    Saturday- Cubs 1 Brewers 3
    Sunday- Cubs 4 Brewers 3

Then again, I'm a Canadian, what the hell do I know about baseball?? Even the players on Canadian teams get paid in US Funds!!!
    I think Sean means what will Maddux's strike out total for the YEAR be after next Sunday's game. He's already got over 20 for the season.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    I think Sean means what will Maddux's strike out total for the YEAR be after next Sunday's game. He's already got over 20 for the season.
    Hey, I was being nice and giving the guy 17 K's in a couple of games. I mean, we shouldn't crap on the guy because he cheers for the Cubs!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Besides, the closest team to where I live is the Tigers, so I shouldn't say much.

Actually, I did think it was for the next 6 games (I think he pitches twice in that 6 game period). Thanks for fixing me up on that CC.

It's the K total for the season, and you can edit your answers up till 7:00pm EST tonight. And it's EST because that's when the first game of the night is played.

Default Lol

So, there's a 3 in 5 chance of winning this one folks, LOL, nobody wanted to play in my contest.

Blog Entries

Baseball??!?!?! Is that a full contact sport?

Do I win 3rd place?

Well, looks like the Cubbies went 500 for the 6 games, but did they ever get hammered yesterday and today!!!!

Blog Entries

Fourth place looks good on the hapless Cubbies.

Maddux's is 1.35 with 24 strike outs. He pitched Saturday which screwed up my predictions. Zambrano and Rusch lost which I predicted so I woulda had this freakin' contest won if Florida didn't suck so badly on Monday. Oh an Marshall surprised the hell outta me on Tuesday. LMAO, that'll probably be the last time he pitches that good all season.

Looks to me like the Cubs will finish fourth or fifth since Cincinnati is kicking some ass this year and the Brewers obvioulsy have the Cubs number.

Watch out Pittsburgh, ya got some competition for LAST.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

The Cubs went 3-3.

The point differential was: Cubs: 22 Opponents: 38 (total difference of 16)

Maddux is at 1.35 with 24K

Desert Rat: .500 Cubs: 30 Opponents: 31
    CC: .333 Cubs: 26 Oppinents: 29
    Sweet Yamz: .500 Cubs: 28 Opponents: 28
    Gramps: .333 Cubs: 20 Opponents: 30
    Newfie .667 Cubs: 24 Opponents: 20

Given this: Desert Rat beats out Yamz for 1st, Yamz takes 2nd, and then Gramps comes in third since his point differential is closest out of CC, himself, and Newfie.

Thanks for playing boys. CC, I'm sending you Gramps prize because I hate the White Sox...Just kidding.

PM your addresses to me Yamz and Desert Rat. Packages will go out tomorrow.

And CC, that Marshall kid, I've been using him as a spot starter in my Fantasy BBall leagues, the kid is one of the Cubs best prospects, and they've always got great young pitching, it's just a matter of how soon before Larry Rothchild and Baker ruin the pitching.

A winner . !

Thanks BMF-great contest, and congrats again on your anniversary.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Thread Information