Not in time for the contest, but I still feel compelled to talk. Go figure!

The ring gauge of a cigar is for more than just asthetics. It can have a dramatic impact on the flavor of the cigar. Smaller gauge cigars burn hotter than larger ones. A hotter burn means harsher spicier smoke. On the other hand, you may find that super gorilla sized 60+ ring version of your favorite cigar may be lacking in the flavor you're used to.

Bottom line? If a new cigar seems too harsh, try a larger ring before writing it off completely. Indian Tabac Fire cigars were like this. I found the petite coronas harsh and bitter, but the double Corona's and Robusto's were very good!

Does a big cigar taste too bland and mild? Try a smaller ring. I tried a Don Diego Palmas in a sampler and really liked it in comparison to the larger sizes! I buy these cigars in smaller ring gauges exclusively now.

Length is mostly about the time it takes to smoke the cigar, but it too can have a lesser effect on the flavor. Longer cigars will start out with cooler and mellower smoke (because of the length the smoke has to travel), and they will end up a little harsher (because more tar will build up before the smoke is done).