Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXPERTS - Show us your stuff!

Default EXPERTS - Show us your stuff!

This has been a great place to come and look up lots of info shared by some of our experts on the board. I've learned a lot by looking through the old posts. But there's something I've learned over the years.

You may have taught us everything we know, but you haven't taught us everything YOU know!

I know nothing is for free, so at the end of the contest I will send a very nice cigar to the top 3 winners (more on that in a bit.)

So, with that in mind, here we go. This contest is for those of you who know everything us newbies know, and then some.

The rules

Post your best tip. It should be something that hasn't been posted in the past, or if it has been, it should be some obscure piece of information that will help us newbies and amaze your peers. Take your time and dig way back into your smoking experiences. It can be anything from preparing to tasting to evaluating to repairing a cigar to... well... if I knew all the categories I would be entering myself!

Only one entry per expert so take your time in thinking about it and give us your best tip.

No comments by any contestant on other contestants entries until the contest is over.

No "joke" tips or things that are not legitimate.

Newbies, stay out no matter how smart you think you are (you know who you are.) These guys share a lot of information and this one is for them

This thread should only be for tips. I will put up another thread for comments, ribbing, flames, or whatever. By doing this we can end up with a nice thread for future newbies to peruse.

The contest will run until May 5th, 6PM Mountain time.

Judging

After the contest is over I will put up a poll for everyone on the board to vote for their favorite/best tip.

All entrants must vote, but they can't vote for themselves.

Voting is open to anyone who is a member at the time of THIS posting.

One vote per member, and your first vote is final.

Voting will end on May 12th 6PM Mountain Time.

In the event of a tie, there will be a one day run-off vote.

The Prizes

The prizes will be one of the following;

Bolivar Corona
    Diplomático No.2
    Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2

These were all purchased from a store outside of London and, to the best of my knowledge, are authentic you know whats!

The first place winner will get first choice, second place will get second choice and third place will get what's left. In addition, all 3 winners will get bragging rights!

So, c'mon guys and gals, show us what we don't know!

Ok, this one has been posted, but it may not've been seen and it's a good (long term) problem solver in a pinch. If you have beads, there's not always a good way to put them in a smaller humidor unless you order the tube as well.

I simply took an aluminum tube - La Aurora Preferidos - and punched holes in it with a push pin. A tube with a screw cap would be better (but remove any cedar lining first). The holes are plenty small enough to keep the beads in. Then filled the larger half of the tube to within 1/4 inch of its rim, added distilled water, and put the top 1/2 on. Voila, a home-built humidifier that kept a tuppidor (around 40-50 cigars) at 70% rh at least 3 weeks without adding more water. It lays there with the cigars perfectly, didn't cost a dime, and satisfied my occasional need to recycle.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I wrote this one about 5 days after joining this site. It works for those who haven't yet invested in an otterbox travel humidor. Essentially, it's a portable and durable version of a humidor jar that you can make for around the cost of a gatorade bottle.

A perfect makeshift travel humidor is to take either a Nalgene bottle, or any 32oz. PowerAde/Gatorade bottle. Make sure they're clean, then cut out a piece of anti-static computer packaging (I always have some laying around being a techie), and wrap the packaging around some recycled napkins that have been soaked and squeezed with distilled water. The literal packaging could really be whatever you want, but for a space saving humidifying 'thingy' the wrapped recycled napkins are great. They have to be recycled napkins because they're denser than regular napkins and don't break apart easily when wet.

Anyway, just a thought.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Default Only a few hours left

Just a reminder that there are just a few hours left. You've had lots of time to dig into your past. Now is the time to give it your best shot.

Hmmm..

I read somewhere that the total combined RH and temperatures should not exceed 140 (within reason)

Above 140 and beetles thrive.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Sorry Mark, only just found the thread when you topped it.

I had trouble guaging the correct spot to clip the foot. I was forever intruding on the swirl of the wrapper and actually causing damage. At my first HERF, I noticed a brother place his Xikar cutter on the table, then stand the cigar in the cutting blade, vertically like a candle, then closing the blade. The small amount space between the blade and the table top are just enough to vent the foot without damaging the wrapper.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by NullSmurf
    Sorry Mark, only just found the thread when you topped it.

I had trouble guaging the correct spot to clip the foot. I was forever intruding on the swirl of the wrapper and actually causing damage. At my first HERF, I noticed a brother place his Xikar cutter on the table, then stand the cigar in the cutting blade, vertically like a candle, then closing the blade. The small amount space between the blade and the table top are just enough to vent the foot without damaging the wrapper.
    lol I can see where you'd have problems - most folks clip the cap, and light the foot!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Doh!
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Default I'm Back

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay on this... a family crisis had me out of state for the past week and a half and I had limited access to the internet. Actually, I wasn't thinking too much about this with everything going on, but the situation is in hand now.

OK - So I have a little unfinished business here. Not too many entered and no one voted, so I've decided to change the rules. Let's make this a free-for-all!

I am changing the prizes because of the delay, so everyone who entered will make out a little better.

Here's the deal -- on Friday I am opening up the voting again (your names will NOT be shown but you can only vote once) but between now and then I want everyone to make a case for their favorite. I don't care if it has anything to do with the tips they posted (since no one voted in the first place I think I am free to change the rules!) Be creative! Lie! Cheat! Steal! Do whatever you want for your guy (or you) to convince members to vote your way. Post as much as you like! And, of course, the entrants CAN vote for themselves. Here is the new line up of prizes.

pick 2 of any of he following (1 each or 2 the same.) First place gets first choice, 2nd place gets to pick from what's left, etc. There are 2 of each available. (ISOM)

Bolivar Coronas
    Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2
    Diplomaticos No. 2
    Punch Punch

Since you will probably want to age these fro a while, I will include one of the following to smoke now (there are plenty of these to go around)

5 Vegas Series 'A' Artisan
    5 Vegas Limitada '05 Belicoso

Both nice cigars.

Entrants are (in order of submission)
    basil
    BugMacFU
    drew_goring
    NullSmurf

Again, I apologize for the delay. Hope this makes up for it! Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Have at it ladies and gentlemen

Shelby, I hope all is well with you and yours, and welcome back.

The vote did take place, people voted - click here. You have to click on "view poll results".
    - Tom Robbins

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Shelby, I hope all is well with you and yours, and welcome back.

The vote did take place, people voted - click here. You have to click on "view poll results".
    Ah Hell! I was looking forward to some good natured ribbing! OK we will go with the original rules and the new prizes to make up for the delay. Basil you are first. PM me with your choices and your info. And congratulations!

Default Winners

Oh Yeah - Guess I ought to announce the winners. Sorry all, my head is still in Texas and I'm trying to catch up on multiple things at once.

First Place: basil
    Second Place: drew_goring
    Third Place (tie) BigMacFu & NullSmurf

Originally had 3 prizes but I will up that to 4. Let's see what basil and drew pick, then BigMac and NullSmurf can send me their picks. Perhaps this will work out to where everyone gets what they want. If not we'll think of something!

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Mark

Well, it doesn't count, but I just voted because I realized I never voted, not even for myself. Oh well.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

PM sent. good idea for a contest. I would've bet there would have been more entrants. Not that my entry wouldn't've still kicked everybody's ass.
    - Tom Robbins

Got it basil, thanks.

drew_goring your turn

any 2 from the list

(2) Bolivar Coronas
    (2) Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2
    (2) Punch Punch

And 1 of either

Drew - Got the PM - will get the sticks out this weekend

BigMacFU & NullSmurf - here's what's left

(1) Bolivar Coronas
    (1) Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2
    (2) Punch Punch

and pick one of the 5 Vegas series A

I'm surprised both of the Punch are left (these are ISOM's.) That's one of my favorites. Anyway, PM me with your choices and if there's a conflict we will work it out.

Bruce - I can either send yours out or we can get together for a puff here soon and I'll give them to you. Let me know

Mark

BigMacFU - Got your last PM - Just let me know which of the 5 Vegas you want.

Still waiting for NullSmurf - Left him a voice mail at his work. Hopefully I'll get this wrapped up this weekend. I really hated the delay. Not the way I wanted my first giveaway to go. Thanks to all who entered and voted.

Mark

basil & BigMacFU - your packages went out today. I got to the PO after closing and couldn't figure out how to get a tracking # through the stupid machine, but you should be getting them Tuesday.

drew, the machine wouldn't let me send international packages, and since Mon is a holiday I will get them out to you first thing Tuesday when the PO opens.

drew_goring - you have a PM

shelby - received package - beautiful! thanks!
    - Tom Robbins

Thread Information