Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SmokinDVM

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    barry.....have you ever seen this??.......

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. NEVER say, "I can't bear to watch, or let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. And always remember, I LOVE YOU!

I've had many dogs in my life and have done this at the end of each one's life. It is heartwrenching (getting a bit misty-eyed as I write this,) but I wouldn't have it any other way.

bigpoppapuff Guest

mark...i agree with you about being misty-eyed....i'm a dog person...i have two,and in fact,spoke with barry this morning about my older dog....the worst thing about owning a pet is putting them down......

....google "rainbow bridge"......read it and tell me what you think after you do....

Hey bpp,

I've seen that in a couple variations.
    A lot of people get dogs without realizing they will be just like children for their entire life, needing attention and love to thrive.
    You would shudder to hear some of the abuses I've seen. The only satisfaction I get is if the assholes get punished for the shit they do, which is unfortunately too infrequent. I have seen a couple of people sent to prison for their abuse, and happily participated in their prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    I've had many dogs in my life and have done this at the end of each one's life. It is heartwrenching (getting a bit misty-eyed as I write this,) but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I've been involved in thousands of euthanasias, and it never gets any easier to do. It is, however, much better than letting the poor guys suffer through the last hours or days of their lives. It's one of the kindest things we can do for them.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

snip....google "rainbow bridge"......read it and tell me what you think after you do....
    That is awesome. I saw something similar on a sympathy card the vet sent us when I had our 14 yo Irish Setter put down many years ago. I still remember how bad I felt as I was looking into her eyes when they closed one last time (just had to wipe my eyes), but I know it was the right thing to do.

Dad (he's a GP) said to me "We should all be so lucky as to pass on in the arms of someone who loves us".

RIP Sheba, Mina and Molly.

mark...i agree with you about being misty-eyed....i'm a dog person...i have two,and in fact,spoke with barry this morning about my older dog....the worst thing about owning a pet is putting them down......

....google "rainbow bridge"......read it and tell me what you think after you do....
    Sid - Thanks for pointing that out. I've had several Siberians over the years? Got my sister involved and I think she has 16 or 17 now. She has kennels in NJ and is the president of the Garden State Siberian Husky Club. They show all summer and race all winter. Those dogs are her kids! It's amazing how close you become to them. My dogs were always well trained, but spoiled rotten. My philosophy was "Hey! It's a dog! It doesn't have to be socially responsible." I have a Shiba Inu now (DVM - I'll bet you know all about those things! I thought the Huskies were headstrong!) I'm gonna have a lot of puppy dogs comin' at me someday!

bigpoppapuff Guest

I'm gonna have a lot of puppy dogs comin' at me someday!

as will I,my friend......

barry.....have you ever seen this??.......

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. NEVER say, "I can't bear to watch, or let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. And always remember, I LOVE YOU!
    There's a certain honor and respect in this one. Anyone on the board that doesn't understand should read "Of Mice & Men." Quick, thoughtful read. Not just for pets.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Sid - Thanks for pointing that out. I've had several Siberians over the years? Got my sister involved and I think she has 16 or 17 now. She has kennels in NJ and is the president of the Garden State Siberian Husky Club. They show all summer and race all winter. Those dogs are her kids! It's amazing how close you become to them. My dogs were always well trained, but spoiled rotten. My philosophy was "Hey! It's a dog! It doesn't have to be socially responsible." I have a Shiba Inu now (DVM - I'll bet you know all about those things! I thought the Huskies were headstrong!) I'm gonna have a lot of puppy dogs comin' at me someday!
    Shiba Inus?
    I feel sorry for your Vet.

Last year I had to put my old guy down - a retriever/australian shepherd cross. He was 14. I lifted him up onto the table and after that moment of tension, he just laid his head in the crook of my arm. He stayed like that, relaxed, for the prep, etc. He knew then everything would be just fine. And it was.

What a great dog - not long on smarts, but huge on personality. The stories he left me with . . .
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinDVM
    Cats are the second most neurotic animals on the planet.

I would suggest trying a product called Feliway. It's made with cat pheromones, supposedly to simulate a queens pheromones, which act to soothe the cats. I have had decent results, 60% resolution, with this product in several behavioral situations. It tends to be a temporary fix though, but most of the treatments for these problems are. It comes in a spray or a diffuser. The diffuser is similar to the plug-in air fresheners as you plug it into the wall and it emits a constant measured amount of the product. You should be able to find it at most larger pet stores, or at a Vets office.
    If that doesn't work, I would suggest a DepoMedrol injection. This works better than 90% of the time. Sometimes the problem returns in a few months, and sometimes a few years.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check into it. Will that Feliway work on my wife too?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinDVM
    Shiba Inus?
    I feel sorry for your Vet.
    Yeah, the muzzle is a necessary part of his visits... but I have to say, he loves people and is quite the clown. He doesn't like other dogs, tho. I took him camping and my buddy took his Irish Wolf Hound. Rocky attacked the Wolf Hound at first, but eventually they tolerated each other. He looked pretty funny dangling from the Wolf Hound's neck. I don't think Thor even noticed him. He actually stays close, heels, and comes when I call (eventually.). But he's my bud, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. He will turn 7 this month (on the 18th.)

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check into it. Will that Feliway work on my wife too?

Using my wife as an example; Sadly, no.

Yeah, the muzzle is a necessary part of his visits... but I have to say, he loves people and is quite the clown. He doesn't like other dogs, tho. I took him camping and my buddy took his Irish Wolf Hound. Rocky attacked the Wolf Hound at first, but eventually they tolerated each other. He looked pretty funny dangling from the Wolf Hound's neck. I don't think Thor even noticed him. He actually stays close, heels, and comes when I call (eventually.). But he's my bud, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. He will turn 7 this month (on the 18th.)
    That is the only thing that really matters.

Thread Information