Thread: BIG Humidor

Default BIG Humidor

Hey guys, I've been looking around at the big humidors that will hold 1,000 gars or more. It will probaly be an online purchase to save some moolah. Any recommendations on a good model/brand? Anything specific I should look for? Since I live in Florida and my indoor temperature is always around 75 degrees, is there a way to lower the temperature. Also, how hard is it to keep one of these regulated? Would you just use a bunch of beads or one of the electric humidifiers? Any help on this subject would be much appreciated.

Default Wow, 1000 cigars!

Man, you really listened when they say buy the biggest you can! When i saw your tread title i was going to suggest a Vicksburg. It looks nice, and you can get one for a pretty low price. But You'd need 3 to get your storage. Some of the people have turned wine coolers into humidors. It can control the temperature and then add beads to regulate the humidity. Check this link out(I hope I'm not breaking etiquette by doing this):http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...highlight=wine

Good luck!

I just received this one from Cheaphumidors.com it took since December for me to get it, it is in demand right about now.

It has two outlets inside if you wanted to put in a fan or cooler.

If this is out of your price range, go with a cooler. Here is a pic of mine Here. Make sure you go with something bigger than what you think you need. Mine is an Igloo 54 Qt Marine cooler. The Marine coolers seem to be squarer and have slots for wire shelves.

Good Luck
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by toasty
    Hey guys, I've been looking around at the big humidors that will hold 1,000 gars or more. It will probaly be an online purchase to save some moolah. Any recommendations on a good model/brand? Anything specific I should look for? Since I live in Florida and my indoor temperature is always around 75 degrees, is there a way to lower the temperature. Also, how hard is it to keep one of these regulated? Would you just use a bunch of beads or one of the electric humidifiers? Any help on this subject would be much appreciated.
    This is what I wrote up for the DogWatch Social Club's show last week (www.dogwatchsocialclub.com).

Most cigar smokers already know that they need to lower their humidor temperature to the low 70s but many aren't sure as to why.

Well, there are two main reasons.

1.) Ambient temperatures directly effect relative humidity levels.

2.) eeeeeekkkkk....Lasioderma serricorne (ie tobacco beetles!) but we will save this one for another show...

What does "Realtive Humidity Mean?"

First - Relative humidity IS NOT THE SAME AS absolute humidity whitch is usually expressed as grams of water vapor per cubic meter volume of air. Absolute humidity is a measure of the actual amount of water vapor (moisture) in the air, regardless of the air's temperature.

Relative humidity is defined as the ratio of the water vapor pressure to the saturation vapor pressure at the prevailing ambient temperature, expressed as a percentage.

In simpler terms, it is the measure of the amount of water vapor in the air compared to how much the air can possibly hold at that temperature.

For example, air at 20° C. can hold, at a maximum, about 17 grams of moisture per cubic meter of air. Air holding this much moisture would be considered "saturated" and would have a measure of 100% relative humidity.

If the 20° C. air becomes drier to the point where it only contains 8.5 grams of moisture per cubic meter, then the air is holding only one-half, or 50% of its total capacity. The measure of the air then would be 50% RH.

The capacity of air to hold water is heavily dependent on the temperature of the air. The warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold.

Ok, now that we understand what relative humidity is and how it is effected by ambient temperatures, how do we lower the temps?

Here are some of my suggestions through years of experience:
    1.) Locate the coolest part of your dwelling (house or otherwise). Some suggestions for this location are the basement (if you have one) or other area of the house that has a concrete floor, a closest in the most ineterior room in your house. Also, under a stair case is usually a good place as well. Put a temp guage in various parts until you locate it.

2.) Don't be cheap, turn the A/C on in your house. Seriously, it has the greatest effect on the largest area. Even if it's to get from 90 degrees down to 80 or 85, it's a start.

3.) If you can't locate a place that is cool enough and don't want turn on the A/C all Summer, pick up a "THERMOELECTRIC" wine chiller. The thermoelectric part is important because these are different than the "typical" wine chiller in that they utilizes thermoelectric plate (thermoelectric technology info can be found here - http://www.coolworksinc.com/about_th...technology.htm) instead of a condensor. This is important because the condensor models tend to have HUGE RH flutations when the condensor kicks on. There are modifications that can be made to remedy this but it's easier to just get the thermoelectic and be done with it - the expense and headache of trying to do the modifications is worth the little extra money.

ANOTHER benefit to having a wine chiller is you by default, usually end up with a larger humidor....hehehe.."But honey, I HAD to get this to reduce the temperatures..."

Two well proven brands are Aventi & Haier.

You may also want to consider a custom cabinet, like a "Cooled" Avallo 2000 or Triple D (www.cigarsolutions.com). They utilize the "Accumonitor" system that simply ROCKS!

Hope this helps and sorry it was so long (believe it or not, this IS the condensed version!).

~Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    I just received this one from Cheaphumidors.com it took since December for me to get it, it is in demand right about now.
    Oh crap, my wife is gonna kill me

And nice post as well there Mark.

-W.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-04-2006 at 08:05 AM.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Thread Information