Thread: "spaghetti westerns"...what cigar???..

bigpoppapuff Guest

Default "spaghetti westerns"...what cigar???..

an interesting question.....what cigar did the clint eastwood character smoke??.....

Looking for the name of the cigar Clint Eastwood smoked as the Man with No Name in his spaghetti movies?”

Eastwood became a major star with his roles in the1967 movie trilogy directed by Italian director Sergio Leone, hence the reference to these films as “spaghetti Westerns:”

• A Fistful of Dollars (January)

• For a Few Dollars More (May)

• The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (December)

The best answer we found was in an excellent interview with Leone biographer Sir Christopher Frayling conducted by James Leavey in his “Sharing an Ashtray” series.

Asked about the cigars, Frayling said “There’s a great debate as to what kind of cigars they were. The Italians claim that they were a cigar called Toscano, or Toscani in the plural, which are these rather evil southern Italian cigars of very closely packed tobacco, very dark. I had a go at them. Wow, they’re strong stuff. If you notice in the movies, Eastwood is constantly lighting his cheroot and it keeps going out, I think deliberately, ‘cos he didn’t want to actually smoke, he disliked smoking a lot. But Toscani do that as well, you keep trying to get them going and they keep going out. What people in Italy do is cut them in half with a pair of scissors or a razor blade, and then try and draw on them – and it works a bit better. Some people claim they were actually American cheroots, but I like the Italian version actually.”

As the second film – For a Few Dollars More – was being planned, Frayling said “Leone told me that Eastwood said, ‘I’ll do anything you like for the second movie. I’ll wear the same costume, I’ll do everything, but please, no cigars.’ And Leone replied, ‘You’ve got to. The cigar’s playing the lead part.’ And then Eastwood admitted, ruefully, ‘Well, yeah, puffing on these things put me in the right frame of mind – kind of a fog.’ So later he sort of walked through his spaghetti western roles in a dizzy fog, with a Toscano in his mouth, and he reckoned this was the right way to handle the proceedings.”
    ~ Rich Perelman

Thanks, BPP. As many of you know- Clint Eastwood is one of my idols. In a documentary I have: Clint Eastwood- Out of the shadows, he claims they were tightly packed Italian cigars. He cut them in several different lengths and kept them in his pocket. This way, if a scene was filmed out of sequence, he could always go back to a different size as to keep the continuity of a cigar burning in real time.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

That was a good read. Thanks Sid.
    Who the hell's been peeking at my member?

Blog Entries

That dumbass wurm over on CigarPass mentioned something about these a while back on CP, the fact that they were the cigars that Clint Eastwood was smoking in those movies.

I can't find the thread but it was one of the few times where I think wurm actually knew what he was talking about.....
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

5. Default

They look like Parodi cigars.

Sid., I have been wondering this since I saw,"The Good The Bad The Ugly" in the early 70's

hey Blondie, what you smoking? screw you Tuco!!
    "If it Bleeds We can Kill it"

That is interesting i just asked about that on another thread, these are good answeres.

Quote Originally Posted by 415e
    That is interesting i just asked about that on another thread, these are good answeres.
    What's interesting is that you posted your question just one day after the topic was raised in this thread. A search using "clint eastwood" turned up nine posts. The search function is your friend.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

They look a lot like Parodis ( just started smoking these this weekend), but probably are not.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information