Thread: new versus antique

Default new versus antique

Greetings. I am a very new cigar smoker and want to buy my first humidor (currently using tupperware with humidistat tube) My wife is into antiques and I would like a table top model for 25 to 50 sticks. I have seen some antique boxes on ebay some with copper, tin, and porcelin. Are any of these worth the money or should I get a new model with Spanish Cedar lining?

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Welcome Coach!!

Don't make the mistake of buying a 25-50 size. Go big the first time.

My first was a 100 size, and I currently have that full, plus 2 tupperdors and a small 6-can size coolidor. I am looking at an antique one from another board member, but that will be for show only and a place to put some overflow.

Once again, welcome to C-Smokers!

so Newfie, If I find a suitable size antique? What do you think of the Copper, Porcelain, or Tin or would you use a new model as your primary.

4. Default

Unless you plan on doing some work yourself, you should definitely get something that's lined with spanish cedar and has a good seal... Unless you're just looking for a box to put your tupperware in.

Coach, I agree with Chuck. If you're going to put anything of any value, make sure it's lined with Spanish Cedar (and only Spanish). The copper and porcelain will make nice show pieces, but if they aren't lined, they basically suck for storage IMHO.

can you recommend a decent inexpensive brand. Again I don't need to store too many sticks but I do like the larger cigars.

Check out this site coach:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/

While I bought my humi at a B&M, and I haven't bought one on-line, this site has been recommended by many.

Thanks. I have been looking at those. If the humidor is lined with spanish cedar does it matter if it has a glass top?

Quote Originally Posted by coachmrpaul
    Thanks. I have been looking at those. If the humidor is lined with spanish cedar does it matter if it has a glass top?
    Personally, I'd say no, but it's a personal preference I guess. The important things are the fit of the lid, the quality of the wood, and the finish as well if you are going to have it out for show.

10. Default

http://www.cubancrafters.com is a great retailer...

Thread Information