Thread: Careful Humidifying Advice

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Default Careful Humidifying Advice

I received a package containing more than a dozen Class "A" smokes from an extremely generous BOTL today. Only thing was the Postal service wasn't so generous and they were mailed 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

They were packaged in a way that can be described nothing short of awesome, along with a Humidipack and even a big sheet of cedar. But I still fear the worst and think they may be a little dry from their 4 week journey to get about 500 miles (as the crow flies).

Here's what I intend to do, and I'm looking for either a note saying "You're on the right track" or "Fuck no, don't do that, here's what you do ...............".

I'm gonna put 'em in a Tupperdor with a new sponge lightly wetted with 50/50 solution. I'll leave the cello wrapped ones in their wrap, and the unwrapped ones in a small zip-lock bag that is half open. After a week, I'll put a little more 50/50 on the sponge along with a few drops of distilled water and then leave it for another week. Then I'll open the baggie fully and maybe add a little more distilled water to the sponge.

One of the issues is I have no idea how long it should be before I introduce them to the general population in my Humi!!

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed. It would be a sin to ruin even one of these treasures.

Thanks in advance.

Newf.

What's wrong with just putting them in your humidor and letting it restore them?
    End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    What's wrong with just putting them in your humidor and letting it restore them?
    If they're significantly lower in RH than the humidor, the wrappers will split due to the filler and binder expanding faster than the wrapper wanting to.

Not a pretty sight, and please don't ask me how I know. 'Cause it's embarassing.

If they were packed with a humidpak, they are fine.
    Captain, it is I!

If the humipak isn't dried out the smokes rh should be ok. If I were you I would be more worried about what temps the smokes have been exposed to in the last 4 weeks. You may want to see if the PO can give you any tracking info for the trip they were just on.

If they've been over 80 degrees for any significant amount of that time you may have a beetle issue on the horizon.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Yes, there was a Fuente humidipak in there.

This time of the year, I would highly doubt if there were any 80's between Tenneesee and here, and for sure there were no extended periods.

So I'm guessing I should be OK then??

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie
    But I still fear the worst and think they may be a little dry from their 4 week journey to get about 500 miles (as the crow flies).
    LMAO-They are cigars fer crissakes, don't be scared of them.

You have not described a problem, just a fear. Check them out-do they look dry, feel dry? Smoke one and see if it’s screwed up.

Then, if you have a problem, do the best you can to bring them back. If you want to do it a drop of water at a time, have at it, the cigars won’t care.

Trust me all will be OK .
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat
    LMAO-They are cigars fer crissakes, don't be scared of them.

You have not described a problem, just a fear. Check them out-do they look dry, feel dry? Smoke one and see if it’s screwed up.

Then, if you have a problem, do the best you can to bring them back. If you want to do it a drop of water at a time, have at it, the cigars won’t care.

Trust me all will be OK .
    I'm not scared of THEM, I'm scared of fucking THEM up!! I took a chance and put the 6 unwrapped ones in the "general population" this morning so we'll see how they made out when I get home.

DR, you gotta understand how rare Opus X, DC Maximus, Anjeos, , Padron '26 & '64's, etc are here in Canada. Trust me, they're treasures to be enjoyed for celebrations only!!!

Thread Information