Thread: so i just bought a new humidor, dried old cigars?

Default so i just bought a new humidor, dried old cigars?

i purchased the 8 sampler pack on cigarsinternational.com a few months ago and i just purchased a humidor last week and received it today. i have only smoke 4 of the 8 cigars since then.

are the rest of the 4 useless now or can i rehydrate them? how do i know if they've gone beyond repair?

i followed the writeup about how to setup a humidor and will probably put them in tomorrow (after 24hr seasoning)... the 4 cigars i have left are in their wrappers in the ziploc they came in.

btw, i am in norcal and today was ~90*F yesterday was ~94*F so you kind of get the idea of temperature.

2. Default

Toss them in the humidor for a couple months, let them get back to speed.

couple of months? i was thinking couple of days. guess i have to buy some new ones to hold me off...

welcome to the board. Here's the quick answers to questions you'll have, searches you won't make, and a way of avoiding anyone else saying use the search:

1) Buy beads to regulate humidity from heartfelt industries, 65% beads. Only use distilled water.
    2) It doesn't matter if you leave the cellophane on or off a cigar in a humidor.
    3) Macanudo's in general are regarded as bland wastes of money. And don't spend $10 on a cigar until you've decided you really do enjoy cigars and then get a Diamond Crown Maximus, Arturo Fuente Hemindway series, Opus X or Padron Anniversary.
    4) For just starting out, stick to milder smokes, go to a local Brick and Mortar (B&M) shop and talk to the guy there, tell you are new and want to start off a little milder, but not bland like a Macanudo.
    5) Don't spend much on cigars when you start, stick with cigars that are in the 3-5 dollar range, if you want to splurge go ahead, but just make sure your palette can appreciate it. Some great brands to start out with are Punch (I love the Champions), Romeo y Julieta, Joya de Nicaragua (strong, not mild), Carlos Torano, Gran Habano (Green), etc...
    6) A great place to buy cigars is camino viejo, you'll see a banner ad at the top of the screen for it.
    7) Punch, cut, it doesn't matter, try 'em all out till you find what you like.
    8) Finally, stick around, utilize the search, and study for your finals.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    welcome to the board. Here's the quick answers to questions you'll have, searches you won't make, and a way of avoiding anyone else saying use the search:

1) Buy beads to regulate humidity from heartfelt industries, 65% beads. Only use distilled water.
    2) It doesn't matter if you leave the cellophane on or off a cigar in a humidor.
    3) Macanudo's in general are regarded as bland wastes of money. And don't spend $10 on a cigar until you've decided you really do enjoy cigars and then get a Diamond Crown Maximus, Arturo Fuente Hemindway series, Opus X or Padron Anniversary.
    4) For just starting out, stick to milder smokes, go to a local Brick and Mortar (B&M) shop and talk to the guy there, tell you are new and want to start off a little milder, but not bland like a Macanudo.
    5) Don't spend much on cigars when you start, stick with cigars that are in the 3-5 dollar range, if you want to splurge go ahead, but just make sure your palette can appreciate it. Some great brands to start out with are Punch (I love the Champions), Romeo y Julieta, Joya de Nicaragua (strong, not mild), Carlos Torano, Gran Habano (Green), etc...
    6) A great place to buy cigars is camino viejo, you'll see a banner ad at the top of the screen for it.
    that is a great reply. i definately benefitted from it. thank you for all the information.

BigMac - you should have that highlighted for all newbs. Great one stop shopping for advice.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    BigMac - you should have that highlighted for all newbs. Great one stop shopping for advice.

definately, thanks for the recommendations, i've put them on my wishlist. haha

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU

Great info dude. Short and too the point

And welcome to the board iluvmysh
    "Frankenstien never scared me. Marsupials do, because they’re fast." - Kevin Pollak as Christopher Walken

Thread Information