Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enjoying your Cigar

I just purchesed my first home in Rochester, Ny

Default Enjoying your Cigar

Fellow cigar smokers,

I saw that there where no new threads, so I decided to post one myself. I know everyone here enjoys smoking cigars, some of us are more experienced or like myself rather new. So, my question is where and when do you perfer to smoke a cigar, what kinds do you pefer and what part of the day, where do you love to smoke, in your favorite chair, outside, or somewhere else. Everyone talks so much about cigars(obviously it is cigar community)but what is it that you are doing at that part of the day that compliments that cigar that makes it enjoyable.

And if you feel my question is silly be careful what you say I am highly trained in demolitions and infantry tactics not to metion battle hardend, combat tested.......................just kinding, i am a nice guy,and I thought this would be a fun question to read others respones. But seriosly I am highly trained in those.

Sapper0001
    Staff Sergeant Gross
    US, Army

Nice warm evening in the back garden, good book and a couple of glasses of JD on ice. By preference a Robusto or Gordito (though if I have a lot of time it might be a Piramide).
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

3. Default

In the summer, I like to walk down to the water, sit on a bench, and just watch the water... I prefer full-flavored smokes, but that's just how I roll...

yes, I'm the old guy talking to the waves.

I enjoy have a cigar in my Car, on the bench on the porch, at the beach (not yet this year) and, of course, playing golf.

I'm a full-flavored cigar type myself and generally smoke in the afternoon and evening.

But I'm not against a lighter cigar so long as it's flavorful or smoking in the morning.

I just purchesed my first home in Rochester, Ny

I am glad to see some of you have replyed. All of your wheres of smoking a nice cigar seems to be the opteme of relaxation.

For myself I enjoy and cigar once a day in the early evening. Usually something mild to medium. I have not developed a taste for the much bolder cigars. I like it outside right before dark. To me I am letting my self settle after the day into the night. For me it is complete relaxation.

Thanks for the replys so far, hope to hear from the rest of you.

Sapper0001
    Staff Sergeant Gross
    US, Army

Something on the milder side in the early afternoon, before I start working for the day. Usually sitting on the little slab of concrete outside my backdoor watching traffic and looking at the trees. I'm in a first floor apt so I don't have much for smoking area. If I'm not too tired when I get home in the evening (11ish) I'll light up one of my stronger full flavoured cigars after I cook dinner. I'm usually alone in the afternoon, but evenings I tend to seek out company. There are a couple guys I work with that I am working on getting into cigars. We all live in corporate housing so everyone's nearby! One weekend a few of us plan to hit up a cigar store and go smoke there. It still amazes us that you can smoke in a mall here.

Sitting out back with a scotch watching all the birds feeding at the all the feeders we have around the yard. Usually a medium smoke but sometimes I get in the mood for a full.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

I come home from a 12 to 14 hour work day, eat dinner, and then relax with a nice cigar. I usually smoke toros or larger. On the weekend, I'll usually smoke 3 to 4 cigars throughout the day, with the first being after breakfast and with a cup of coffee. My morning smokes tend to be mild to medium and sometimes smaller size, but I prefer my later-in-the-day sticks to be medium to full flavor and strength.

Due to the summer climate here, I tend to smoke inside while relaxing in the big recliner. In the cooler months, I will smoke out by, or in, the spa.

My favorite place to smoke is either at my Cigar Shop or on my back porch. A nice cool evening, no more than 72 degrees, with a mild wind, smoking one of my favorites (too many to mention here), relaxing with the dogs, with some country, jazz or rock on the radio (I have varied tastes in music as well). A nice big glass of ice tea and a great book. That is my little slice of heaven.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

10. Default

I usually have two different smoking styles:

1) When hanging out with my buddies. On Friday or Saturday afternoon we'll all get together at one of our homes, drink a few beers and BBQ. There is nothing like a nice mild cigar while you're sipping a brew, turning a steak, and chatting with your best friends.

2) Late at night, after a long day. Sitting out on my balcony with a glass of whiskey while the moon is hovering.

I usually smoke at night as well, on the balcony after dinner.

Just came back from vacation - had my cigars sitting in a chair on the beach with the water rushing under my feet at sunset.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

I enjoy all types (size and body) of cigars. Each one has it's own specific characteristics. Light to medium cigars go well with standard brew coffee, cappucino, stout/dark beers, and other refreshing beverages. This makes them well suited for earlier in the day. Their more subtle flavors are best appreciated by a clean palate. Medium bodied cigars can also hold well with cocktails and food, dark roast/strong brewed coffee, dark belgian ale, etc. After a robust dinner (well seasoned/spicy, roast meat, steak, italian, red wine, etc.), with espresso, or with strong alcoholic beverages (scotch, bourbon, cordials, port, etc.) a stronger cigar holds up well to the other strong flavors and the numbing of the palate that comes with mild intoxication.

Of course, you can make any combination your heart desires, and a cigar's strength is totally subjective. So feel free to do as you wish and follow your craving. The following tends to hold true for me though, so keep it in mind.

If you try to have scotch with a Montecristo White or Don Diego for instance. You may find that the strong drink drowns out much of the subtle flavor in the cigar.

If you try a Camacho Coyolar with your morning coffee, you may find your stomach a bit upset and any other smoke during the day will seem bland in comparison.

As far as size goes, it depends mostly on your time. More time = more cigar. Also, stronger cigars can tend to satisfy quicker, meriting a shorter smoke.

Diameters can also affect the burning temperature and subsequent flavor of the cigar. If you find your cigars burning too cool and flavorless with inadequate smoke volume and burn problems, try a smaller diameter. If the cigar is hot and harsh to you, try a larger diameter.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

My favorite time to smoke is during a beautiful day while walking along Rock Creek. Being in nature and enjoying the serenity while living in a giant metropolis is a nice escape. If I had a balcony or a porch, I would also smoke there too. I sometimes smoke on a bench around where I live with a good book. I've actually brought a drink, a cigar and my laptop into my car to watch a movie during a rain storm.

My favorite is just before sunset, on the back deck. If I have the 'alone time', I prefer a robusto (less time - PC) of ISOM or Honduran origin. All the while sipping my Diet Rite (and a little Kentucky Bourbon)

SInce I live in NY instead of nature I have lots of tall buildings and and the smell of car emmisions

So for me the perfect time to enjoy my cigar is during a weekend getaway - picnic, barbeque, fishing, sailing u name it - nothing tastes better than a nice stogie when u are surrounded by nature and a few good friends

16. Default

I would say cigar smoking is a habbit sort of. I smoke at work at least 6 up to 8 cigars a day . Usually Consuegras or Oliva bundled maduros ect ect. I usually sit on the deck after supper and have a primo cigar of some sort like a Fuente sungrown all the way up to a cuban of some sort. On sundays I rarely smoke though

K7.
    The older I get ,the better I was

lol! Diet Rite! My g'mother used to buy that when I was a little kid. That and Fresca. I still like 'em both.

3. On an evening, at our only B&M, with a friend or two. diet Coke (no diet rite there). May pick out a med-full there, or bring one of my own.

2. At lunch, a smaller cigar - AF BS, or maybe a PC. Sometimes a short robusto.

1. My favorite - after a hard workout, and a nice dinner - at night, if I have the house to myself, or after everyone else is in bed, I'll bring out one I've been wanting to smoke. I go to the patio, bring the dogs with me, and read, watch a thunderstorm pass, or the dogs go ripping through the yard. This one may be a beli, a churchill, or maybe a robusto, but something I've been looking forward to.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

18. Default Smoking in Balad

Well I am currently stationed with my Guard unit in LSA ANACONDA. When the day is done and dinner has settled, our HQ section, The commander, Operations personel, moter Sgt, Supply Sgt and others will sit in the unofficial smoking area of our HQ building (known as the house) around 2000 (8:00 PM). Alas we do not have good scotch (or even bad Scotch) just our near beer and diet coke. And for about 45 min to an hour we are just a bunch of guys bitching or praising the path that we choose to tread.

Surprising enough, I rarely smoke cigars at work. Cigars are a form of relaxation for me, and being interupted all day long kinda kills the pleasure and re-relighting sucks. Evenings and weekends are when I typically smoke a cigar.

my favorite smokes have always been outdoors on a patio/balcony, etc...sitting with some friends, BSing about everything and nothing, and listening to some good, chill music.

of course, living in Boston for a few years...none of my friends really share my interest in this type of activity. so for now, i'm enjoying my cigars a little less regularly, but sitting out on our front patio by myself...sometimes reading, sometimes i go there to make my phonecalls, sometimes just to sit quietly, etc...usually just a diet coke, or some crown royal...

Thread Information