Thread: La Vieja Habana

Default La Vieja Habana

Anyone tried these. I have heard some good stuff about them. Seem to be a good value as well.

I am interested in picking up a box but want to get a feel for what the "crowd" thinks.

I think they're pretty good. There my regular smoke. I like them because they come in big sizes, they're pretty full bodied and there cheap. The only complaint I have is that they are mixed filler and once in a while a piece of short filler works loose and ends up in your mouth. I always keep a handful of them in my humidor.

3. Default High Quality Short-Filler

Yep - I agree,

For the value you can't beat them. They are constructed from a higher quality short filler which is why they are able to keep the price down and still offer a good smoke. Definitely a good box to have around.

If you're looking for something kind of off the beaten track you could look for a box of La Vieja Habana "The Early Years". This is actually a fuller smoke and the result of a failed partnership between The Drew Estate and JRCigars. They were only made for a couple of years during the 90's so are harder to come by. Definitely more body than how they make em' these days and a box of these is quite a bit more expensive. But hey, for the novelty they're interesting.

Short filler huh? Not sure if I like that. I have been told to stay away from short filler cigars as they are cheap and not as good. However, both of your comments seem to favor these as a good cigar for the price.

I will keep thinking.

Any other suggestions for good cigars that won't break the bank? I like the whole range from mild to medium to full flavor. However, I generally do not like strong cigars that make your head spin and require you to sit down

Thanks for any input.

5. Default Agreed...

I agree with you on that one - especially if you have neglected to eat any food before smoking a strong one!

One thing I forgot to mention: the "Early Years" series is actually made from long filler.

And VT was correct that the regular La Vieja is made from a mixed filler, not just short. They also use a premium Corojo wrapper which gives it a pretty good flavor. VT's right - sometimes you get a bit of the mixed in your mouth, but that's how they are able to create the value by still having good flavor!

Default thumbs up to the lvh's

Call me crazy but I actually prefer the lvh "cheapies" over the "leather patch" ones. Granted, I've only had 1 of the leather patches, could have been a dud, but for the price of the lvh's I have found no competition. I'm very interested in trying the early years. let me know of any comparisons made between the three. Happy puffin everyone!

i just recently picked a couple up and I enjoyed them. I thought they were great for the price, I would consider a box for a good price for a good everyday cigar...I haven't priced them by the box anywhere yet tho.

Thread Information