Thread: Need help in storage of good cigars

1. Default Need help in storage of good cigars

Hello all,
    First off i am a newbe. Just started enjoying "good" cigars while I currently deployed to Iraq. My question I have is about storage of cigars. I want to buy about 6 Gurkha Platinum's for our "final" smoke in country. We have humadors but they come pachaged in sealed glass tubs. Do i remove the cigars or do i leave them in the glass? Any Help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotajudo
    Hello all,
    First off i am a newbe. Just started enjoying "good" cigars while I currently deployed to Iraq. My question I have is about storage of cigars. I want to buy about 6 Gurkha Platinum's for our "final" smoke in country. We have humadors but they come pachaged in sealed glass tubs. Do i remove the cigars or do i leave them in the glass? Any Help would be much appreciated.
    Hey Dakota,

Welcome to the board. And as everyone here will say - we very much appreciate what you're doing.

To answer your glass tube on/off question - personal preference, same with cello wrappers, etc. if space is not an issue, leave them in the glass - will insulate the sticks from weather, pockets, and humidity changes (glass will slow any difference in humidity). The sticks will still be able to breathe through the cork. If you have a good humidor, then all the better, just place them in. If you don't, even more reason to leave the glass on.

Cheers
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Welcome, hope you get to enjoy your "last smokes incountry" real soon, and get to come on back home.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

I agree, I would also leave the cigars in the tube that they came in. It will protect them from getting damaged. I leave all my cigars in the cello until I smoke them.

5. Default

Thanks guys for the info...plus one more question....Do you have to turn the cigars in the humidor every once in a while?

Thanks guys for the info...plus one more question....Do you have to turn the cigars in the humidor every once in a while?
    I've heard of people doing it, but you don't have to. I never bother and I've never had a problem. If it makes you feel better, feel free. God knows everyones got a little compulsion of some sort.

I am always rearranging my cigars in my humidor, if I take one out I have to replace it with another and then I bring some of the ones from the bottom up to the top so that I don't forget about them. I kinda get a little OCD when it comes to stuff like that.

I move mine around just to see what's still in there.
    "A cigar provides a man the opportunity to manipulate fire and smoke. These devastating elements of nature that can ravage forests and snuff out life are conquered and dominated by the lightest adjustment of the lips and the breath. Such awesome potential for destruction manipulated in peaceful contemplation reminds a man that he is, regardless of what others have said about him, a man." - Wigglesworth

Hello all,
    Hello and welcome to the boards! Enjoy yourself
    Brian Wells

Folks rotate cigars for the purpose of allowing them to breathe - as well as to even out the various sticks' humidity. The humidity travels down your humidor, tupperdor, etc. Not as much of a concern for smaller boxes, but when you get into the larger containers, the sticks toward the top get more moisture - so folks rotate them periodically to even it out.

Same reason why most humidors allow the cigars to lay flat instead of standing on the foot of the stick; you might have an uneven distribution of moisture in a single stick.

You don't have to - but I do... but then, I like to look at 'em.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

I have noticed that when I smoke a cigar from the humi that I rarely get into that almost always they burn unevenly. I am usually in my other 2 quite frequently (at least once a day). The sticks I smoke from those burn better. And all my humidors are at about the same RH. I will definately start moving my smokes around in all my humis more.

Thread Information