Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any boxing fans here?

Default Any boxing fans here?

Any of you guys into boxing?Its the only sport I follow with any regularity.Tomorrow night on showtime is Corralles vs. Castillo 3.Anybody got a pick on this one?

me and bigpoppapuff are big fans, I'm taking Corrales
    "If it Bleeds We can Kill it"

I've really gotten into MMA over boxing recently. I'm going to go with ol' Diego. Kid is a machine. I still love the sport of boxing, but with all the sanctioning bodies around nowadays, it's hard to see the fights that should happen without someone worrying about losing rank. They need a unified, 1 title per weight class.

Im picking Corrales too,if Castillo makes weight this time

bigpoppapuff Guest

boxing,baseball,and UFC are my favorites.....by far....

for your information,castillo vs corrales has been canceled...castillo came in almost 5 lbs over...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff

for your information,castillo vs corrales has been canceled...castillo came in almost 5 lbs over...
    Well, I guess there's always....actually I don't think anything good is on tonight at all. Ok...sorry for the thread jack, but since the fight is off, I don't think it'll be a problem. What's everyone's predictions on the next UFC?

I say Arvlovski beats Sylvia round 1 KO.
    Ortiz beats Shamrock by ref stoppage 2nd round.

bigpoppapuff Guest

i agree with both of your picks for UFC61........arlovski and ortiz both win...

Well,thats about as unprofessional as it gets
    Didnt Ortiz already beat Shamrock once?

9. Default

I enjoy boxing, but I don't really follow it with any regularity...

Anyone know some good resources/tips for learning more about it?

bigpoppapuff Guest

maxboxing.com.......for boxing
    ufc.com...........for ultimate fighting/mma

Quote Originally Posted by dpenix76
    Well,thats about as unprofessional as it gets
    Didnt Ortiz already beat Shamrock once?
    Yeah...they fought once before. Tito really tore up Shamrock. Shammy looked like he was hit by a train. They are coaches on the reality show "The Ultimate Fighter." It's a really good show. Season 1 was the best so far, Season 2 was horrible, and this one is pretty good. Every Thursday night at 10 or 11...I can't remember. It's on Spike TV.

www.sherdog.com for mma.
    www.fightnews.com for boxing.

i have a friend who runs an MMA type website -- www.fighterspride.com -- great info, great group of guys.

that being said...i was a big boxing fan growing up. always loved Iron Mike and always hoped he'd pull his head out of his ass and straighten up. too bad he went completely insane and ruined his career.

haven't gotten into boxing much anymore these days -- used to watch roy jones jr, and some of the others -- plus, our family was good friends with Virgil Hill when i was growing up. just haven't watched enough to have a favorite anymore.

bigpoppapuff Guest

the multiple title bullshit aside...there are a lot of very good fighters these days...to mention some...marco antonio barrera,diego corrales,floyd mayweather jr ( i hate him...but he's terrific),miguel cotto,ricky hatton,rocky juarez,manny pacquio,zab judah,bernard hopkins is still around,antonio tarver,jermaine taylor,oscar de la hoya,wladimer klitschko,and a few more who don't come to mind right now.......showtime has fights on the first saturday of each month and some fridays....hbo has many,espn2 has boxing on friday nights...there is good stuff out there...

The lighter weight classes are much better than the heavyweights,IMHO

the multiple title bullshit aside...there are a lot of very good fighters these days...to mention some...marco antonio barrera,diego corrales,floyd mayweather jr ( i hate him...but he's terrific),miguel cotto,ricky hatton,rocky juarez,manny pacquio,zab judah,bernard hopkins is still around,antonio tarver,jermaine taylor,oscar de la hoya,wladimer klitschko,and a few more who don't come to mind right now.......showtime has fights on the first saturday of each month and some fridays....hbo has many,espn2 has boxing on friday nights...there is good stuff out there...
    Well put. In no way do I question how good the fighters are, because there are many awesome fighters. The Klitschko brothers have been my favorite heavy weights for several years now. I think Emmanuel Stewart has done teriffic work with Wladamir, teaching him more finesse than just the punching machine. I don't know if anyone has seen the fight he had against John Ruiz, but how about that new beast Valuev? I have never seen Ruiz fight like that. He usually he provides the most boring fights of any fighter. The fight he had with Valuev was great though.

bigpoppapuff Guest

toasty...,we'll agree to disagree about the klitschko's...they're awful.imo....tall,they fight straight up...if someone would get up and under they'd beat the snot out of either brother...problem is the heavyweight division basically sucks....and nobody wants to fight shannon briggs...he'd beat the snot out of wladimer.....vitaly is finally retired...the 7'3" russian is nothing but a bum...i wanna see him fight someone good before i'll think otherwise......there's another russian,whose name i can't remember who is very good....

the flyweight fight last night that took over as the feature on showtime was a fun fight to watch...

toasty...,we'll agree to disagree about the klitschko's...they're awful.imo....tall,they fight straight up...if someone would get up and under they'd beat the snot out of either brother...problem is the heavyweight division basically sucks....and nobody wants to fight shannon briggs...he'd beat the snot out of wladimer.....vitaly is finally retired...the 7'3" russian is nothing but a bum...i wanna see him fight someone good before i'll think otherwise......there's another russian,whose name i can't remember who is very good....

the flyweight fight last night that took over as the feature on showtime was a fun fight to watch...
    Valuev has no talent...but he is a huge beast. And yeah, I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the Klitschko's because I really don't think there's anything either of us can say to change each other's mind regarding that issue.

Briggs has potential. I really can't make a decision on his future as a champ until he takes on some real fights. The only notable win he has was against washed up Ray Mercer, which is just another easy fight to bloat his record. A lot of his wins are against guys that shouldn't be fighting to begin with, or guys that are walking the last mile of their career. I'm not saying Briggs is a bad fighter. I think with Mayweather as his trainer, he will evolve into an even better fighter. He's just yet to pass any test to show if he's champion caliber. Granted, the big names want a ridiculous percentage to fight him; however, I think that's a sacrifice he needs to make atleast a couple of times to prove himself.

One of my biggest disappointments in the recent past was David Tua. I really thought he was going to go pretty far. But again, politics and lawsuits took over his career and he let it hold him down. I know he had a comeback fight last year and won, but haven't heard anything from him since.

bigpoppapuff Guest

the russian who i do like is the one who beat the piss out of lamon brewster....he's good.....it seems as if all the top guys are doing whatever they can to avoid briggs...i think briggs is a don king guy and he's doing what he can to get away from king...maybe then he'd get some fights...

the russian who i do like is the one who beat the piss out of lamon brewster....he's good.....it seems as if all the top guys are doing whatever they can to avoid briggs...i think briggs is a don king guy and he's doing what he can to get away from king...maybe then he'd get some fights...
    He's got Krushner, who's been busted for fraud and other petty crap in the past. Atleast it's not murder like King though.

The Russian that you like is named Lyakhovich. He's supposed to be fighting Kevin McBride soon I think.

bigpoppapuff Guest

yep...that's it....he was terrific in his fight with brewster....

Thread Information