Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Herf'A'Paloza - June 23

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bigpoppapuff Guest

damn!!!...i gotta stop sugar coating what i say....

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

OK, so far it's Mauied, Juan, Da Fish, illilli (hopefully) and me.

That's 2 weeks from tonight and I'm anxious!!

What time is this starting? Are we having dinner there? Would they have an issue with someone bringing in a ........... ummmmmmm ......... "container" of cigars?

better question newf - what time are you getting in town?
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    better question newf - what time are you getting in town?
    I plan on leaving Richmond about noonish and check into the hotel by Regan airport mid-late afternoon, depending on one stop I may have to make. So, my schedule is open.

So for everyone let's say 7PM Shelly's on Friday?

If we get there earlier, fantastic, but everyone arrive by 7pm...

So for everyone let's say 7PM Shelly's on Friday?

If we get there earlier, fantastic, but everyone arrive by 7pm...
    That works for me. I'll probably get there sooner. Newf, there is a metro right in Regan which will take you to Metro Center. Shelley's is a 2-3 block walk west of there. Check out this site for Metro info: http://www.wmata.com

I hope I didn't jeopardize National Security by giving a Canadian access to DC's mass-transit

edit: I just checked with Shelley's, no need to do reservations for Friday, and they are ok with people bringing cigars in. Oh, Newf, here is the address to Shelley's, it will help you use the Metro Trip Planner on the website more effectively: 1331 F Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20004
    Last edited by Cabaiguan Juan; 06-10-2006 at 05:04 PM.

7 PM is great. I may be there a bit early. I hear there's a good cigar store (name escapes me right now, but all the info is in my laptop) right around the corner from Shelly's, so I'll probably check that place out. I also want to check out JR's store in DC.

Either of you ever shop at these two places?

Thanks for the info Juan.

13 days and counting!!!!!!

8. Default

I just saw this, I might be able to make it!

What time?

~Mark

OK, so we're a few short days away from this event at Shelly's.

It's mauied, juan, da fish, maybe (and hopefully) illilli, and me. Supposed to meet at Shelly's at 7:00. I'm gonna be there a little early (6ish) 'cause I'm meeting Mark from Cigarmony.com, he has a little goody-bag for me :

One question. I did get the company to pay for the Friday night hotel, but the travel agency put me in a Best Western in Oxon Hill, MD. I see from maps.google.com that it's only a few miles from Shellys, but what are my options?? Should I drive the car downtown and park, or does the Metro go to that area, or what??

Thanks, and see ya in a few days.

Jim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie
    ... I'm gonna be there a little early (6ish) 'cause I'm meeting Mark from Cigarmony.com, he has a little goody-bag for me :...
    To avoid afternoon Friday traffic, I am heading down right from work, so I'll be there around 4:30ish...so if I am trashed by the time you guys get there, please forgive me

Sounds sweet - 5-6 of us. So how the heck are we going to realize who's who? Took me and illilli about 5 minutes to figure each other out (at least on my part). And don't say you're the one smoking a stogie

...snip So how the heck are we going to realize who's who? snip...
    I'll be the one smoking a ........ oh shit, I can't say that.

Well, as I told Mark:
    I'm 6'3", about 250#, light hair that's buzzed close and I'll have a black & gray backpack laptop case.

bigpoppapuff Guest

I'll be the one smoking a ........ oh shit, I can't say that.

Well, as I told Mark:
    I'm 6'3", about 250#, light hair that's buzzed close and I'll have a black & gray backpack laptop case......i'll be wearing a skirt.....

jim!!!...we didn't know...

I'm 6'-1" and 260, built like a football player. Light brown/drak blond hair. I'll be in blue jeans and a polo shirt.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    jim!!!...we didn't know...
    ROTFLMFAO.

I saw that and said "Jeezuz, I didn't type that, did I??"

Good one Poppa!!!

...snip...
    One question. I did get the company to pay for the Friday night hotel, but the travel agency put me in a Best Western in Oxon Hill, MD. I see from maps.google.com that it's only a few miles from Shellys, but what are my options?? Should I drive the car downtown and park, or does the Metro go to that area, or what??

Thanks, and see ya in a few days.

Jim
    It looks like it's pretty close and you're going against traffic if you're going into DC - but - there still might be traffic and you'll have to scrounge for parking. I called hotel and you can drive to the Branch avenue metro stop, park your car, and then take the metro in - but you will need to purchase ($10) a Metro SmartCard in order to exit the parking structure. The $10 will pay for your round-trip ride, plus parking (I'd just leave the negative balance on the card)... but it's an extra step.

Exclamation

Jim
    I just realized that you are probably going to have the Woodrow Wilson Brisdge, its the part of !-495 that is just west of Oxon Hill, as seen on mapquest. There is a lot of construction going on on that bridge and there is always a back up or substancial delay. I dont think it would be a problem if you are coming up middle of the day on 495, but a disaster if you are trying to do that during rush hour. One possible solution is to take I-395 into DC. Once you cross over the Potomac stay in the middle lane and Look to exit at South Capital Street (a Right) Take South Capital Street and go over a bridge(about a mile), and when you come to land on the other side of the river, you will be able to take I-295 south, or Suitland Parkway(exit 3a on 295) which will take you to Branch Ave/MD-5.
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...3d&ambiguity=1 - Hopefully that link will take you to a area which I am talking about.
    Sorry to bring this much confusion to the matter, but you want to avoid W.Wilson Bridge if possible. illilli, can you help me out on this, fellow MD'er

bigpoppapuff Guest

cabaiguan missed his.....jon...go back and read...i'm trying to bring the funny...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    cabaiguan missed his.....jon...go back and read...i'm trying to bring the funny...
    I just read it, LMFAO! I guess now I need to find a blue mu-mu now. If nothing else, everyone will know who I am! Everyone, look for the blue buoy in the middle of Shelley's smoking a cigar. Oh, wait the cigar doesn't help, does it?

I may not make it. We're losing another tech at work on wednesday, and I'll likely be picking up the slack. We already lost 3 a week or 2 ago 'cause they're marines and had to go to dril. ow this guys taking a vacation. I'm going to try my best but I can't make any promises guys.
    Sorry.

Oh, but if I do, I'll be wearing tan shorts with some random t-shirt and a tan and blue cap. I'm 5'11" about 200lbs and wear glasses. I'll be the soberest one. I don't understand why I can't be allowed to follow the drinking laws of my own country..... ;)
    Last edited by thepyrofish; 06-19-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Thread Information