Thread: Arcades

Default Arcades

It seems in recent years there has been a dramatic decline in the amount of arcades that you see. Hell, I dont' even know where one is now. I'm just curious, if an arcade popped up in your neighborhood, do you think you or your kids would go to it regularly?
    End of line.

2. Default

Dave and Busters.
    (http://www.daveandbusters.com/)

It's like a giant arcade for grown-ups. Expensive video games, expensive drinks, lots of bright, flashing lights.

I usually get together with people a couple times a year to go there and party.

They used to have a pretty scrict policy on kicking the kids out at 9 or 10pm. That was awsome. But the last time I was there, there were kids running around all friggin' night!

I'm aware of Dave & Buster's. The problem is, that's what's left of arcades I think. It's just not the same somehow. The reason I ask, is because I'm thinking of possibly opening one.
    End of line.

4. Default

I think the arcade of our childhood has given way to the console market, in much the way movie theaters are losing ground to home theater setups.

In order to get me out of the house, you have to provide more entertainment than I can get at home.

I've all but stopped going out to the movies. For what it would cost me to take my gf to the movies, I can BUY a movie on DVD and watch it whenever I want. I can buy 2 movies if you factor in popcorn and soda. And, quite frankly, I have a better environment for viewing at home. My TV produces a better (albeit smaller) image than the theater, the surround sound is tuned to my seat, and there are never any kids giggling in the back row. Plus i can pause to go pee. The cineplex is unable to compete, so I don't go there.

Similarly, an arcade would need to have more appeal than simply "playing somewhere else." If you think about a place like Dave and Busters, you really have that. You can play 8-person linked racing games, dancing games, boxing, shooting, all sorts of stuff I simply can't do in my living room (until the Wii comes out).

The notable exception is boardwalk-style arcades. Something about a weekend at the beach is very nostalgic and draws you to stand-ups, pinball, and simple drivers... It also makes you want to play those silly carnival games where you NEVER win anything and always feel inferior because some OTHER guy is walking around with the giant stuffed giraffe he won his girlfriend.

With PC's and game consoles having the quality they do, it's no wonder arcades are dying off. The only games worth playing at arcades anymore are the ones with the vehicle and weapon simulators, and huge screens. Those are expensive pieces of equipment and are hard to make back money on.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Most new games that I have seen now cost so much $$$ to play one time that it is not worth it in my book. I miss the days of going to the arcade with a couple dollars and getting to play a game for a quarter. I think that is the reason you don't see them anymore. Most kids don't have the funds to play but one or two times. *shrug* That is my .02 worth.
    "Frankenstien never scared me. Marsupials do, because they’re fast." - Kevin Pollak as Christopher Walken

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ukyfan
    Most new games that I have seen now cost so much $$$ to play one time that it is not worth it in my book. I miss the days of going to the arcade with a couple dollars and getting to play a game for a quarter. I think that is the reason you don't see them anymore. Most kids don't have the funds to play but one or two times. *shrug* That is my .02 worth.
    Modern games are often designed to be moneysuckers, too. Shooters, especially. I remember playing some shooting game that had some kind of Aerosmith link to it... I spent more time feeding it quarters than actually shooting!

Thread Information