Thread: What is that flavor?

Default What is that flavor?

I think I enjoy the aftertaste as much or more than the cigar. This newb is still trying to put a name to the taste... I smoke mostly mild cigars but the aftertaste seems mostly the same. Any ideas?

bigpoppapuff Guest

there's no "right" answer......what does it taste like "to you"???...if you think it tastes like roast beef...then that's what it is...this isn't a contest...you're not on trial....just enjoy the cigar...jot down some notes about it.....see if it triggers the same flavors the next time you smoke one.....it may not....a lot depends on outside factors like temps,time of day,pre-meal,post- meal,or no meal,yada yada.....

3. Default

I don't think I've ever successfully described a cigar in terms of flavors. I taste tobacco. Different blends certainly have very different flavors, but never any leather or dirt flavors. :)

I'm the same way with beers. I don't taste flowers or butterscotch, I taste water, yeast, malt, and hops. I can describe a beer in terms of yeast strain, water chemistry, hop variety, and specialty grains, but not as "fruity".

Cigars are a little tougher to break down. Not only do you have stuff like crop inconsistencies, there also aren't really many classifications of cigars. If you're a master blender, I imagine you can taste some pretty amazing things, but I'm not a master blender...

Thread Information