Thread: Need Help

Default Need Help

I'm looking for a new humidor and a friend of mine recommended the guy who made his, http://www.ianhastie.com. My question is; is it worth paying big bucks for something like this rather than the $50 units you can pick up anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Baz_D
    I'm looking for a new humidor and a friend of mine recommended the guy who made his, http://www.ianhastie.com. My question is; is it worth paying big bucks for something like this rather than the $50 units you can pick up anywhere?
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

It might help if you introduced yourself so we know short term/long term smoking interests, budget, purpose, etc.

The bottom line is that a humidor is any sealed container for cigars that maintain relative humidity (RH). Depending on your budget, you might use tupperware (in lieu of a desktop) or a cooler (in lieu of a cabinet). You can find great bargain priced humidors at http://www.tampahumidor.com/ or http://www.cubancrafters.com/ that range from $50-200+. Any else is strictly aesthetic - lower end models use a wood "finish"; mid and high end models use veneers or solid woods. You can find your a Davidoff veneer humi that runs $2k or more, or your buddy's custom humi for $650. It's all personal preference. So long as there is a tight seal and a good humidification device http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/, it's your call.

I own a Michael Dixon that I am incredibly fond of. You can find his stuff at http://www.michaeldixonhumidors.com/ - and his humis have been reviewed by CA (not that it necessarily means anything). I like it because I like the texture of solid wood, the look and feel of it when you open the humi up (veneers IMO do not have the same elegance). I also own a marble cigar jar, small wood "finish" travel humidor, and a cooler for my boxes. To each his (or her) own.

Fill us in on yourself and we might be more helpful.

Cheers
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Daniel Marshall are also great humidors. I'd consider one of them if you have the money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baz_D

Baz_D, let's start this off right. Hello, my name is ____________ and I've been smoking Cigars since ___________________ my favorites are __________________ <any other content you would like to add place here>

Thanks

one thing you need to think about is that it is better to start off bigger, this is an addicting habit, and you are going to find yourself buying more and more, don't start off by buying a 25 ct humidor. My first was a 300ct and I quickly outgrew that and bought another 125 ct to catch the overflow... well now I am in a old vintage curio cabinet that I converted into a humidor, I know have pleanty of space. That may be something you may want to look into if you have the time to work on it. this was just my opinion.

Buy a 120 Qt. cooler, cheap and more efficient than most wood humidors.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Take it from me,start off with a cooler,a desktop humi will be a waste of money after a month.

You will probably end up wanting to store more than what a desktop humidor can hold, but at the same time, I love having my best cigars in it, separate from other cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515
    You will probably end up wanting to store more than what a desktop humidor can hold, but at the same time, I love having my best cigars in it, separate from other cigars.
    I started with a desktop humi and I still use it for a handy stash. The Cooler has boxes in it and things I want to age. Occasionally I bring a handful up and restock the desktop humi. Also, being as the cooler is in the basement, the desktop saves multiple trips down the stairs. But be warned, you WILL want to start buying boxes and unless you have the cooler or a bigger humi it will stifle your purchasing. Of course, you could just start off with a large humi and forget the desktop. Something I wish I had done. I have a new one on order and I would imagine once it gets here the desktop will be retired.

10. Default

Well, I guess I should introduce myself before I begin giving my imput...

My name is David, I live in Cheyenne Wyoming, and have been smoking cigars consistantly for over a year now. Some of my favorites are the Arturo Fuentes Short Storys, the Romeo y Julietta's (most I love, the 1875 Bully is a fav)...some AVO's, the CAO Brazilla's and Italia's (spelling, I know)

And now, lets say I got my desktop form www.cheaphumidors.com as their prices are about the same as the Tampa Humidors at first, but they let you place a "bid" on your humidor, and they will usually accept a bid ~10$ less than their listing price.

Welcome to CigarSmokers

Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Dave View Post

My name is David, I live in Cheyenne Wyoming, and have been smoking cigars consistantly for over a year now. Some of my favorites are the Arturo Fuentes Short Storys, the Romeo y Julietta's (most I love, the 1875 Bully is a fav)...some AVO's, the CAO Brazilla's and Italia's (spelling, I know)

And now, lets say I got my desktop form www.cheaphumidors.com as their prices are about the same as the Tampa Humidors at first, but they let you place a "bid" on your humidor, and they will usually accept a bid ~10$ less than their listing price.
    Brian Wells

Welcome to CS

I don't get it... are you stating something or asking a question...
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Default Humidor

Lets put it this way I have been smoking cigars for about 14 yrs and I have a 150 desktop humi and 2 50 desktops and a Planodor I just made I use the Planodor for aging and I keep a good stash in the other humis bigger is better when it comes to a humidor you can find some pretty nice ones at www.thompsoncigar.com Good luck

Do you have a humidor at the moment or will this be your first purchase. To be honest if it is your first purchase I would buy a humi on ebay. I got one from them for $50 or $60 that is 300 count with drawers and it works great. If you already have good experience with humis and have money to burn go ahead and get a great name but if all you looking for is an efficient way to store cigars paying big bucks is worthless, you better off spebding it on the smokes IMHO

15. Default

I guess I should have been more clear, I already own my humidor, the Round El Rey, and I got it off of www.cheaphumidors.com Its a 150, they wanted 91, I bid 80 and got it.

Thread Information