Thread: humidity question

Default humidity question

If my humidity is pretty much staying in the same range, should i even bother filling it with more water? just to sort of freshen it up? or just leave it as is since the humidity is fine.

you should be refilling it about every two weeks. mine stays at 70 if i do that. if i don't it starts dropping. and my humidifier is normally bone dry by the time the two weeks is up

I usually try not to wait until I notice a change in humidity to do something about my humidor bucause by that time, it means it will take time to get it to restabilize. You really want to maintain your moisture level while it is still in that sweet spot in my opinion.

and also do not over-moisten your oasis material (if that is what you are using)...if you do not over-moisten the material it will actually help maintain humidity levels by absorbing excess moisture if it is too high, and releasing moisture if too low.

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey
    I usually try not to wait until I notice a change in humidity to do something about my humidor bucause by that time, it means it will take time to get it to restabilize. You really want to maintain your moisture level while it is still in that sweet spot in my opinion.

and also do not over-moisten your oasis material (if that is what you are using)...if you do not over-moisten the material it will actually help maintain humidity levels by absorbing excess moisture if it is too high, and releasing moisture if too low.
    good advice. i normally soak mine and then let the humidifier sit on a towel to leak for about 30 minutes. but it normally drops to about 65 in that 30 minutes. i'll try just adding a little once a week.

I've been experimenting. I added water everyday to my humidifier, just a few drops to moisten it up, and I watched the humidity raise a percent a day. It hit 75% for the first time ever for me a few days ago:) I havent added water since and it has kept it's humidity!! I am so proud:) I think I may add a few drops to it tonight just to maintain it at 75%. I was gonna wait till it dropped to 74%(I assumed tomorrow maybe) before adding more until I read monkeys advice. My humidor has more cigars in it now then it ever has and I think that helps it keep its humidity as well. It's not ALL Just open space anymore. I still have plenty of room though!

I'd say my 200 count humidor is about 30-40% full of cigars. I am sure once I get it up to about 60-70% full it will probably hold it's moisture up to a week at 75% humidity. I'll have to wait and see till I can afford more cigars i guess

does it matter how full your humidor is when looking at the humidty? my 50 cigar humidor is full right now, will all the cigars stay at the reading that the hygrometer is showing? will the ones on the top be drier than the ones on the bottom or doesnt that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob33
    does it matter how full your humidor is when looking at the humidty? my 50 cigar humidor is full right now, will all the cigars stay at the reading that the hygrometer is showing? will the ones on the top be drier than the ones on the bottom or doesnt that matter?

I have been told that you need to keep your humidor at least 50-60% full for optimum efficiency. The sticks are part of the humidification process; an almost empty humidor has trouble humidfying properly.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Default Humidor count

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    I have been told that you need to keep your humidor at least 50-60% full for optimum efficiency. The sticks are part of the humidification process; an almost empty humidor has trouble humidfying properly.
    Do you think my wife willl understand that I need to keep my humi properly full?
    Remember to breathe

Blog Entries

That's going to be my new excuse.

But honey...I need more for the humi...

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Porthos
    Do you think my wife willl understand that I need to keep my humi properly full?

Umm, I don't know, I don't ask my wife, she doesn't ask me if it's OK to buy cigarettes so I don't bother to mention when I am buying cigars. But go for it, maybe she'll buy it
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I just tell my fiance that morning..."By the way, could you make sure and drop by my house later in the day and pick up the package off the front porch and take it inside and place the cigars in my humi for me?" She usually just rolls her eyes thinking "I can't believe you bought more cigars" She is really going to go nuts because this week I think I have 4 or 5 orders of cigars on their way. Damn CigarBid.com! But, she did tell me that she was fine with it as long I did not take it out of the money that I let her go shopping with. This is exactly why I neglect to tell her when I get those nice bonus checks! They go into a bank account that she does not know about for my "play" money.

13. Default

Wow Jonsey...a seperate account for play? I wonder what will happen when she finds out.....all I can think of is ouch! but I wish u well.

Heh, well, an old friend of my father that I've come to know fairly well has a separate bank account in Jamaica. His wife knows about it but if a divorce or something were to come along, she gets none of it. And he has all the play money he needs in there.

Thread Information