Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can you tell if it's Spanish cedar?

1. Default

An interesting thing I learned from a woodwoker around here is that most low end humidors are not lined with actual spanish cedar, but instead a less aromatic ceder or a mohogany. Actual spanish cedar tends to go to guitar makers, because they will pay a much higher price. That's why you see spanish cedar only as a lining, not as the material for the whole humidor.

FlyingBanana Guest

I love you guys. Great sense of humor. lol

Ok..let's start off again. Hi. My name is Mark and I am a cigaraholic and I don't want to get better.

I apologize if you guys thought I was being sarcastic, just asking questions to get a post up or what not. I was being entirely serious about the spanish cedar question though. I am not referring to only the liner in the humidor, but rather the entire thing being made up of 1/2 inch thick cedar.

Sorry that you guys took me the wrong way. I am very much a cigar guy computer tech budding humidor builder etc.

Flying

FlyingBanana Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
    An interesting thing I learned from a woodwoker around here is that most low end humidors are not lined with actual spanish cedar, but instead a less aromatic ceder or a mohogany. Actual spanish cedar tends to go to guitar makers, because they will pay a much higher price. That's why you see spanish cedar only as a lining, not as the material for the whole humidor.
    Very interesting MC. I can say that the humi I just got does have a very mild cedar smell, and the owner does insist that it is sc lined though I do not see a lining. It appears to be built of solid sc.

Flying

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBanana
    Very interesting MC. I can say that the humi I just got does have a very mild cedar smell, and the owner does insist that it is sc lined though I do not see a lining. It appears to be built of solid sc.
    Was it somewhat expensive for it's size? If it was it's likely solid spanish cedar, meaning that your $100 humidor in pure spanish cedar would likely run $150. I've seen it most often at $10 a board foot.

If not, it's likely something damn close far as properties go. A few mohogonies and cedars share similar characteristics with spanish cedar like light scent and bug repelling properties.

Thread Information