Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Collins Cigars San Juan, Puerto Rico

1. Default

Lets look at it this way. People only buy due to the hype of the name brand right? What I will tell you is this . When you buy tennis shoes you normally will buy Nike . Only because of the name. It doesnt matter if you have a fat foot and can't wear them, as long as they say Nike it's okay with you and those around you. Same concept for cigars. Even though we know there is no real cuban cigars out there , people purchase Cohiba even though it's made in Dominican Republic by BRAND NAME. People even purchase counterfeit Cohibas made out of cardboard, brown paperbags, banana leaves and still think they have a quality smoke. I'm not bashing anyone its just the plain facts. So all in our seeds were planted in Cuba and Dominican Republic and Tainos taught them how to grow tobacco. So where does the seed come from .?.. Right here. So If you like Dominican , Honduran , Nicaraguan tobacco.. you love these. Its okay to take a step and purchase an unknown name but I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for your post!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    Yes, I see that I can order sample packs. That is wonderful. However, I have no interest in paying $25 to get 5 cigars I've never heard of in my life. I purchase cigars based on reputation and recommendation.

Counterfeit? My cigars come from reputable manufacturers in Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic. They do not come from some unknown mufacturer trying to push unknown product...
    DON COLLINS CIGARS
    59 Calle Cristo
    Old San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901
    787-977-2983
    www.don-collins.com

2. Default Try them!!!

First of all, does anyone know where tobacco smoking originated?
    Most people "THINK" that it originated in cuba but nobody really knows where and when tobacco was first planted, we're sure the first people to cultivate and smoke tobacco were the American Indians (IT DOES NOT SAY NORTH AMERICAN IDIANS AND AMERICA IS VERY BIG). According to history, tobacco was first discovered on the island of Cuba when Christopher Columbus first arrived in 1492. Puerto Rico tobacco corp. was established in 1503!

The fact is that the native indians in the Caribbean use to do a lot of trading among themselves. This is why history CAN'T say that it originated in Cuba. Because there is no proof.
    What we do know is that the seed that seeded Cuba also seeded the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (because native indians traded this product).
    The other thing is that if you know about growing tobacco on the caribean you would know about pest and all the crops that are destroyed due to them. What this means is that most of this tobacco have tons of pesticides and/or chemicals. Witch Puerto Ricans DON'T have. Don’t take my word for it. Come down to Puerto Rico and take a tour of the tobacco plantations.

P.S. They don’t distribute in the US because they only produce about 2 million cigars a year (not a lot). Why? Because they are truly HAND ROLLED! And if they start sending free sample then they would have to give free samples to whoever asks for them. Don't you think?

The last think (for now) DON'T TAKE ANYONES WORD. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

Don’t be afraid to call them and ask all the questions that you may have! They have great customer service, and GREAT SMOKES.

Any questions about them pm me!
    Last edited by Mario_smoker; 06-20-2006 at 05:08 PM.

3. Default Don Collins Cigars

Thanks for your post! I must say I am impressed with your knowledge of our company and it sounds like you have smoked our cigars before? You must have heard the history from us when you visited? I want to thank you for you post again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario_smoker
    Most people "THINK" that it originated in cuba but nobody really knows where and when tobacco was first planted, we're sure the first people to cultivate and smoke tobacco were the American Indians (IT DOES NOT SAY NORTH AMERICAN IDIANS AND AMERICA IS VERY BIG). According to history, tobacco was first discovered on the island of Cuba when Christopher Columbus first arrived in 1492. Puerto Rico tobacco corp. was established in 1503!

The fact is that the native indians in the Caribbean use to do a lot of trading among themselves. This is why history CAN'T say that it originated in Cuba. Because there is no proof.
    What we do know is that the seed that seeded Cuba also seeded the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (because native indians traded this product).
    The other thing is that if you know about growing tobacco on the caribean you would know about pest and all the crops that are destroyed due to them. What this means is that most of this tobacco have tons of pesticides and/or chemicals. Witch Puerto Ricans DON'T have. Don’t take my word for it. Come down to Puerto Rico and take a tour of the tobacco plantations.

P.S. They don’t distribute in the US because they only produce about 2 million cigars a year (not a lot). Why? Because they are truly HAND ROLLED! And if they start sending free sample then they would have to give free samples to whoever asks for them. Don't you think?

Don’t be afraid to call them and ask all the questions that you may have! They have great customer service, and GREAT SMOKES.

DON COLLINS CIGARS
    59 Calle Cristo
    Old San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901
    787-977-2983
    www.don-collins.com

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Don Collins Cigars
    Lets look at it this way. People only buy due to the hype of the name brand right? What I will tell you is this . When you buy tennis shoes you normally will buy Nike . Only because of the name. It doesnt matter if you have a fat foot and can't wear them, as long as they say Nike it's okay with you and those around you. Same concept for cigars. Even though we know there is no real cuban cigars out there , people purchase Cohiba even though it's made in Dominican Republic by BRAND NAME. People even purchase counterfeit Cohibas made out of cardboard, brown paperbags, banana leaves and still think they have a quality smoke. I'm not bashing anyone its just the plain facts. So all in our seeds were planted in Cuba and Dominican Republic and Tainos taught them how to grow tobacco. So where does the seed come from .?.. Right here. So If you like Dominican , Honduran , Nicaraguan tobacco.. you love these. Its okay to take a step and purchase an unknown name but I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
    You're quite mad, do you realize that?

When I go to buy new tennis shoes, I try them on.

Mario, Thanks for the history lesson, With all due respect, who the hell are you? Do you think we don't know where cigars came from? The guys on this board know more than you think, and most probably a ton more than you do. If you had bothered to lurk about a bit before jumping in with both feet, it would have been evident to you. Your post was an insult to the members of this board. Your first post and you are trying to sell cigars for an unknown? Are you in cahoots with Don Collins? Perhaps not, but how do we know? It's kind of fishy that you just happened to show up now. I've learned a lot about board etiquette in the past few months and while I may have defended you a few months back, I realize that you just overstepped your bounds. And just be happy that I answered the post. I think some others on the board would have been less tactful.

Don Collins, You obviously have some cigars left over to sell and you are apparantly quite proud of them. I think it's a good idea to spend whatever your cost will be (probably less than 25 bucks) if you believe in your product. If not, keep making excuses. Just today I donated an $1800 machine to a charity event to publicize my new business, so I am not talking out of my hat. I have done many donations in a past business and have always gotten my money back along with tremendous amounts of favorable press and good will. So it seems as if it would be money well spent, especially if the guys here like them. It may reap you huge rewards, and at the very least put you in higher standings with this and other communities. I think at this point no one will buy or recommend your cigars simply because you seem to be afraid to part with about 25 bucks (cost) worth of your merchandise. I can only surmise that it is because you fear what we may say about them.

Think about it. Prove us wrong. This is a huge opportunity for a win-win situation, and if your product is as good as you say, you WILL reap profits and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Collins Cigars

Thanks for your post!
    Quite mad indeed. I don't think anyone on this board besides Don Collns needs me to explain that the bolded excerpt above is sheer lunacy. But I will.
    Cubans do, in fact, exist. A lot of them. Some of the best cigars in the world come from Cuba, as do some crappy ones. They are illegal in the US, but even there they can be found. I'm Canadian and I will say that I have in fact smoked many genuine Cuban cigars. Dominican Cohibas exist, sure, and many people do buy them for the brand name. Cuban Cohibas definately exist as well. If you don't realise this I'm not sure you are too involved in the cigar industry. Does your company exist inside a bubble?

7. Default

Jesus fucking tapdancing krist . I highly doubt PR cigars are worth a shit just by reading your sales drivel and by how fucking hard it is to find the cigars on your site . Reminds me of cigars made in panama yucko. Funny thing is I have thousands of cigars in my posession. If provided a sample or 2 I would have probally bought 4 or 5 bundles. Its cool though because I will spend $$$ this week on cigars but not with you dude.
    The older I get ,the better I was

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    Mario, Thanks for the history lesson, With all due respect, who the hell are you? Do you think we don't know where cigars came from? The guys on this board know more than you think, and most probably a ton more than you do. If you had bothered to lurk about a bit before jumping in with both feet, it would have been evident to you. Your post was an insult to the members of this board. Your first post and you are trying to sell cigars for an unknown? Are you in cahoots with Don Collins? Perhaps not, but how do we know? It's kind of fishy that you just happened to show up now. I've learned a lot about board etiquette in the past few months and while I may have defended you a few months back, I realize that you just overstepped your bounds. And just be happy that I answered the post. I think some others on the board would have been less tactful.
    I´m a Puertorican!!!, and I am very proud of my heritage. I dont know what you would be inssulted about since im just stressing my history witch I KNOW! The only thing I said about Don Collins Cigars themself is that they are good smokes and that they have great customer service.

Don´t feel insulted just because someone has a different opinion from yourself. Have you ever had a Puerto Rican cigar? Im most likely one of the few here who has tried them. So as you said Im not talking out off my hat. Im talking because in this case I do have a first had OPINION.

I´m a Puertorican!!!, and I am very proud of my heritage. I dont know what you would be inssulted about since im just stressing my history witch I KNOW! The only thing I said about Don Collins Cigars themself is that they are good smokes and that they have great customer service.

Don´t feel insulted just because someone has a different opinion from yourself. Have you ever had a Puerto Rican cigar? Im most likely one of the few here who has tried them. So as you said Im not talking out off my hat. Im talking because in this case I do have a first had OPINION.
    Go away!

The problem is, you haven't established yourself here, any more than Don Collins has, and thus would have no credibility here.

Less talk, more samples. That's what will get people here to buy Don Collins cigars. Establish yourself and people might value your opinion.

bigpoppapuff Guest

mario and don......somehow i figured the two of you were connected at the hip,so to speak.....i'm a rep in the cigar industry....i've put together these samplings many times.....i'm trying to make you understand something...and trying to help you build your brand,which you seem very proud of.....

i will deliver to you 15-20 avid cigar smokers.....you will send each of them 3-4 cigars....they will smoke them at their leisure and when finished with each one write a review of the cigar and post the review at each of the cigar bb's that they frequent......can you buy less expensive advertising??....i doubt it.....i've given don my number..if you're interested,let's get it done...if not,i'd suggest you not bring any other shills.....

you're selling an unknown cigar to a very shrewd crowd.......sampling is the way to go....

Blog Entries

So far all I see is a Cigar company that is asking us to rely on what's on a website. Then I see some MARIO person that is now jumping in on the game. News flash you two...we have been here on this board and have had to deal with people that same information. If you are legit, we are trying to help. If you insist on this BUY and TRY then ADVERTISE; you are not going to get it here.

Many of us have sampled smokes and posted them on here. One Cigar Company did send us each one sample and we gave them our honest opinion. We smoked and advertised. Some people enjoyed the smoke and some didn't.

You on the other hand are asking us to just blindly purchase some smokes and hope they are the best. I can easily make a website, make a claim, and try to make some cash. BPP is legit and we trust him on this board. You, we don't. Neither of you. If you want customers, then you should listen. If you are going to continue with the BUY then TRY then ADVERTISE, well…nice chatting with you.

13. Default

Finally someone understands me. I think so to. Sampling is what they should do but to a certain few that actually mean to smoke them and give a honest review. I dont intend for people that have never had PR tobacco to say that its good but for all of you to TRY IT AND COME TO YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS. Because apparently some people here seem to be very close minded.

I wouldn´t say im tied to the hip with the brand itself but you have to understand to I do have a strong tie to the Puerto Rican tobacco movement since I had family members that used to work on the fields. Im not trying to promote Don Collins but the Puerto Rican product itself.

Thanks to those of you who are willing to try something different and hope they send you samples or that you get to try pr tobacco somehow.

bigpoppapuff Guest

mario...you,like most of your people,i know,are very proud of your heritage...and justly so....there's nothing i'd like more than to help you build a brand...let me know.....

ps...i know who tony vega,grupo mania,and tito nieves are....

Mario - let's start over.

Apparantly you think I insulted your heritage. I don't believe I did, but if I said something along those lines I will tell you I never intended to and I can't apologize enough. As for insulting us, it had nothing to do with a differing opinion, Hell, this group disagrees all the time, but more with the fact that you thought you needed to lecture these guys. I am still very new to this and enjoy learning as much as I can. When I first came to the board, some of the members explained to me the fierce friendship and loyalty they have for each other. I didn't understand it then, but I do now. You may be an expert in your field, but as was already said, we don't know that and you have to admit, you did just show up out of nowhere, If you read some of the threads here you will quickly see that these are a savy bunch of guys with a passion for cigars, manufacturing techniques, best storage practices, history, etc., and they have a lot to share.

So, tell us a little something about yourself and perhaps some stories about your family's experiences in the tobacco industry in PR. Separate yourself from Don Collins cigars until we get to know you. Your family seems to have a history in the tobacco growing industry over there. I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    When I first came to the board, some of the members explained to me the fierce friendship and loyalty they have for each other.
    Not to this thread, however that meant a lot seeing that. I hope others (that are new here) read that and finally understand why we do things the way we do.

Perhaps we should move this thread to a different group??

bigpoppapuff Guest

i don't like anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by don collins cigars
    We Guarantee the cigars for 2 years without a humidor
    Ok, you just lost your sale right there. We all know that only swishers and white owls are good for that long without a humidor. So then you must be selling garbage.

That's like buying fine cheese that doesn't require a refrigerator (cheez wiz).

Do you not know what a cigar smokes like that doesn't have proper humidifiacation?

So Fuck off..we don't want you white owl imitations
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    i don't like anybody...
    And we are more than happy to return the favor

Thread Information