Thread: Detroit B&M Comments & Pricing

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Default Detroit B&M Comments & Pricing

I was in Detroit yesterday on a shopping / mailing mission and stopped in to the B&M I go to sometimes to pick up something to smoke on the way home in traffic. I'm looking around and see he's changed his stock quite a bit. He no longer carries Puros Indios or Rolys (and has probably dropped more I didn't notice), but has a bunch of other stuff I'd never seen there before, like Consuegra & Flor De Oliva bundles. He also expanded his stock of Padron, Diamond Crown, Ashton (including plenty of VSG's) and Fuentes (lots of WOA, Signature and Short Story, quite a few Anejos, etc), so needless to say I spent more time there than I had planned.

He now has the full Padron *000 line so I asked how much for a box of 2000. He said take the price of each cigar, multiply by the number of cigars in the box and subtract 15%. He said that's their box-purchase deal. Didn't seem real great to me, but it's close, no shipping, so may work out OK. He went on to tell me they have another regular deal on. Buy 5 singles, get the 6th one free (the cheapest of the 6 will be free). Buy 12, get 3 more free (same deal, the cheapest 3 will be free). I started thinking about this and thought something was skewed, so I told him I wanted to have a look around.

So, simple math in my head told me the singles deal is better than the box purchase. Here's an example of what I bought to prove it.

He had 2 part boxes of RP Missile, 9 Corojo and one Maduro, all @ $4.95 ea, not a real bad price for singles IMHO. I picked up all 10, and picked up a 5er of Padron 3000, which were the same price as the Missiles. So, I bought 12 sticks for $4.95 ea for a total of $59.40, and got the other free, which works out to $3.96 per. If I had bought a box of the 3000s, it's 25 X $4.95 = $123.75, less 15% is $105.19 for a price of $4.21 ea!! Helluva deal when you can get a bunch of singles for cheaper than a box purchase price.

While I was paying for these, I asked if that deal applied to all brands. He said yes, everything except bundles (that makes sense). I said "So if I buy 12 Ashtons, I get 3 free as long as the 3 free ones are the cheapest out of the 15?" He said "Exactly!".

So, as another example, VSG Enchantment were $10.85 ea (I think). So, I could by 12 of these for a total of $130.20, get 3 free which would bring the avg price each to $8.68 ea!!!

Note, prices and totals above DO NOT include MI State tax of 6%.

Personally, I think I've found a bit of a gem!!!!

BTW, it's real close to a USPS, so I may be able to help out someone, if you know what I mean.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    I was in Detroit yesterday on a shopping / mailing mission and stopped in to the B&M I go to sometimes to pick up something to smoke on the way home in traffic. I'm looking around and see he's changed his stock quite a bit. He no longer carries Puros Indios or Rolys (and has probably dropped more I didn't notice), but has a bunch of other stuff I'd never seen there before, like Consuegra & Flor De Oliva bundles. He also expanded his stock of Padron, Diamond Crown, Ashton (including plenty of VSG's) and Fuentes (lots of WOA, Signature and Short Story, quite a few Anejos, etc), so needless to say I spent more time there than I had planned.

He now has the full Padron *000 line so I asked how much for a box of 2000. He said take the price of each cigar, multiply by the number of cigars in the box and subtract 15%. He said that's their box-purchase deal. Didn't seem real great to me, but it's close, no shipping, so may work out OK. He went on to tell me they have another regular deal on. Buy 5 singles, get the 6th one free (the cheapest of the 6 will be free). Buy 12, get 3 more free (same deal, the cheapest 3 will be free). I started thinking about this and thought something was skewed, so I told him I wanted to have a look around.

So, simple math in my head told me the singles deal is better than the box purchase. Here's an example of what I bought to prove it.

He had 2 part boxes of RP Missile, 9 Corojo and one Maduro, all @ $4.95 ea, not a real bad price for singles IMHO. I picked up all 10, and picked up a 5er of Padron 3000, which were the same price as the Missiles. So, I bought 12 sticks for $4.95 ea for a total of $59.40, and got the other free, which works out to $3.96 per. If I had bought a box of the 3000s, it's 25 X $4.95 = $123.75, less 15% is $105.19 for a price of $4.21 ea!! Helluva deal when you can get a bunch of singles for cheaper than a box purchase price.

While I was paying for these, I asked if that deal applied to all brands. He said yes, everything except bundles (that makes sense). I said "So if I buy 12 Ashtons, I get 3 free as long as the 3 free ones are the cheapest out of the 15?" He said "Exactly!".

So, as another example, VSG Enchantment were $10.85 ea (I think). So, I could by 12 of these for a total of $130.20, get 3 free which would bring the avg price each to $8.68 ea!!!

Note, prices and totals above DO NOT include MI State tax of 6%.

Personally, I think I've found a bit of a gem!!!!

BTW, it's real close to a USPS, so I may be able to help out someone, if you know what I mean.
    Hey, where abouts is this place, im in the burbs around Detroit. There are a few places i frequent one in Farmington and another in Commerce. But im always looking for options. Thanks in advance...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by el-toro View Post
    Hey, where abouts is this place, im in the burbs around Detroit. There are a few places i frequent one in Farmington and another in Commerce. But im always looking for options. Thanks in advance...

I work in Farmington Hills. Where is the one in Farmington you are talking about ? I go to one in downtown Farmington that is in a stip mall. They mostly have wine but he suprisingly has a nice selection. I cant remember the name of it but there is a Quiznos a few stores down. The owner is a nice guy. I was in there one day when the Perdomo rep was there and he gave me a couple of free cigars.
    "You shut your mouth while your talking to me"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
    I work in Farmington Hills. Where is the one in Farmington you are talking about ? I go to one in downtown Farmington that is in a stip mall. They mostly have wine but he suprisingly has a nice selection. I cant remember the name of it but there is a Quiznos a few stores down. The owner is a nice guy. I was in there one day when the Perdomo rep was there and he gave me a couple of free cigars.
    El-Toro hasn't signed on since November so he probably won't be answering you. I've never been to one in Farmington (that I know of) so I can't help ya!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

which store where you talkign about? Right aroudn farmington theres also a JR outlet...which I sometimes go to.
    Jia Li
    1345 Washtenaw Ave
    Ann Arbor, MI

Quote Originally Posted by jiaguy View Post
    which store where you talkign about? Right aroudn farmington theres also a JR outlet...which I sometimes go to.
    I usually make a trip to JR's about once a month. That's the one north of 696 on the NW Highway, right??

The store I was talking about is on 12 Mile, east of I-75.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jiaguy View Post
    JR's is a mile down the street from my office. I work at 13 and NW Hwy. I go in there every once in a while.

The one I am talking about is actually in downtown Farmington. Grand River and Farmington Rd. area. He has a nice selection and you can buy partial boxes. He discounts 25% off of the cost of the cigars if you buy a box or partial box.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    I usually make a trip to JR's about once a month. That's the one north of 696 on the NW Highway, right??

The store I was talking about is on 12 Mile, east of I-75.

Yes. JR CIgars is on 12mile and Northwestern Hwy.

The store on 12 mile east of I75 sounds like it is in Madison Heights. Do you have any more detail ? I would like to stop in. I live close by.

Thread Information