Thread: Am I nuts? Are some Carlos Torano's and Ghurka's the same?

Default Am I nuts? Are some Carlos Torano's and Ghurka's the same?

I've noticed a striking similarity between the Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon's and the Ghurka Grand Envoy's. Both are Cameroon wrapped, the same unusual size, the same color, packaged the same with a cedar sleeve, and taste the same.

The Exodus 1959 and the Ghurka Regent also seem very similar to me. Box pressed, same size, close color wrapper, flavor, etc.

I also just had a Ghurka Vintage that reminded me of a CT Casa Torano!

Am I imagining things here? Am I nuts?
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

I had both and I thought they were slightly different from the notes I have but I am new to this hobby so don't take my word. I also had the CT in the humi for almost a month but not the Gurk. Hopefully someone else will chime in!
    "Enter cool cigar related quote here"

http://www.daveandcourtscorner.com/

bigpoppapuff Guest

i'm pretty sure that torano makes alot (if not all) of gurkha's...so...they probably are the same...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    i'm pretty sure that torano makes alot (if not all) of gurkha's...so...they probably are the same...
    Bigpoppa is dead on, torano makes gurkhas.

Oh yeah, you're nuts, but for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    Bigpoppa is dead on, torano makes gurkhas.
    I just did some quick price comparisons and noted that the Gurkhas are about $1 more per stick. Any reasons as to why?

Torano and Gurkha arew made by the same people. I would not be surprised to find out that they use the same molds to shape/press the cigars of both brands. However, I have had many many Toranos and Gurkhas and while there are similarities they are not the same. Especially the Regent and the Exodus. In fact I could tell them apart in a blind tasting.

Anyway that is my .02
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Oh yeah, you're nuts, but for other reasons.
    Oh yeah! You betcha! Second marriage, second child, and I don't drink near enough! Nuttier than a shithouse rat I'd say!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JHarri31
    I just did some quick price comparisons and noted that the Gurkhas are about $1 more per stick. Any reasons as to why?
    cost of packaging, bands, possibly some marketing reason. Probably along a price-break marketing thing.

Kinda like coors light and keystone light. Same beer, same cans, different paint on the cans, different price.

Coors and Coors light are in the Bud and Bud light price market.

Coors didn't have a beer in the Bush beer price level market so they just changed the name and paint on coors light and cut the price.

Difference of 3 bucks a twelve pack here in NH.

If you don't believe me, get a can of both, leave the room, have someone pour them into glasses and have a taste test. It's the same beer.

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    Torano and Gurkha arew made by the same people. I would not be surprised to find out that they use the same molds to shape/press the cigars of both brands. However, I have had many many Toranos and Gurkhas and while there are similarities they are not the same. Especially the Regent and the Exodus. In fact I could tell them apart in a blind tasting.

Anyway that is my .02
    That explains a lot. I know I smoked the two Cameroons on consecutive days and they were dead on with each other to me.

I suppose I could have done a little research myself, but the answer wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun without smart-ass comments from the likes of Nhcigarfan!

cost of packaging, bands, possibly some marketing reason. Probably along a price-break marketing thing.

Kinda like coors light and keystone light. Same beer, same cans, different paint on the cans, different price.

Coors and Coors light are in the Bud and Bud light price market.

Coors didn't have a beer in the Bush beer price level market so they just changed the name and paint on coors light and cut the price.

Difference of 3 bucks a twelve pack here in NH.

If you don't believe me, get a can of both, leave the room, have someone pour them into glasses and have a taste test. It's the same beer.
    You wouldn't believe the folks who would say different. I know I drink Bush and Key for that very reason. I do seem to detect a slight difference between Bud and Bush, though it may be my imagination. I wonder if they use less hops in the Bush beer, or if they just can off-tasting batches as Bush?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    You wouldn't believe the folks who would say different. I know I drink Bush and Key for that very reason. I do seem to detect a slight difference between Bud and Bush, though it may be my imagination. I wonder if they use less hops in the Bush beer, or if they just can off-tasting batches as Bush?
    The difference with Bud and Bush is age, I believe. I was told once by a distributer that Bush is just young bud, and maybe not beechwood aged.

I want to say that bush is a 30 or 40 day lager, Bud is 90 day and Michelob is 120. But I might be off on those, it's been a few years since that discussion.

But I first heard coors thing from a coors marketing woman who did a promo at the bar I tended in college. She swore up and down it was true and to this day I can't tell the difference at all between coors light and keystone.

Throughout college I drank every form of crap - cheap beer imagineable, and to be honest I can tell a difference.

Bud ----> Busch ---> Natural Light (natti)

Coors ----> Keystone

Miller ----> Milwaukees Best (beast)

While we're on the subject...anyone every try Burger or Dakota Kick?

John

Throughout college I drank every form of crap - cheap beer imagineable, and to be honest I can tell a difference.

Bud ----> Busch ---> Natural Light (natti)

Coors ----> Keystone

Miller ----> Milwaukees Best (beast)

While we're on the subject...anyone every try Burger or Dakota Kick?

John

Meister Brau or Charles Reibenbach baby! Only the best quality dextrose (corn sugar) goes into the making of those beers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    Meister Brau or Charles Reibenbach baby! Only the best quality dextrose (corn sugar) goes into the making of those beers!
    I just missed the boat on Meister Brau (got to college in '01), but I heard it was the beer of choice back in the day

I never knew Torano made Gurkah or by the same people....learn something new everyday here. :)

Thanks
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

I agree with nhfan. Torano is quite the marketer, he also rolls CAO.

Nothing wrong with that, its good buisness, but a cynic like myself wonders if these guys are focused more on the quality of cigars or the marketing of cigars.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Default Lots of stuff!

Torano rolls lots of stuff. . .they roll at least one Brazilia, I think a La Perla Habana and a Montecristo, there are lots more. These guys are rolling for lots of folks and they are all really good. Tonano is a great smoke as is everything they roll!!

Thread Information