Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newfie's Weight Loss Contest

congrats to both of you!
    "Enter cool cigar related quote here"

http://www.daveandcourtscorner.com/

2. Default

Congrats to both of you. Great job Newfie!!!!!
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

Great job on the weight loss! Hell, it took me 1 1/2 years to lose 40 pounds!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Damn Newf, Did you live off cigars only?

A big Congrats to both of you. Keep it up!
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF
    Damn Newf, Did you live off cigars only?
    Actually, it wasn't as bad to lose as you may think at all. Don't forget, I started this at at 298# and that was already after losing almost 30 over the previous 10-12 months.
    Last edited by Newfie; 06-26-2006 at 09:36 AM.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Well congratulations, that crotch-rocket just got a little faster.

Hey Newfie, sounds like you got yourself into a pretty effective regiment. How did you do it and are you still on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    Hey Newfie, sounds like you got yourself into a pretty effective regiment. How did you do it and are you still on it?
    Thanks Shelby.

The Plant Medical Department launched a 12 week weight loss challenge through the Wellness Program and they brought in a Weight Watchers Leader to run the program. Our initial weigh-in was April 05th, and as you've seen, the final weigh-in was Wednesday past.

I swore off alcohol of any type for the whole program and really watched what I was eating, and didn't eat so much of it as I used to. I had almost no pasta (which I love), almost no potatoes (mmmmmmm, double-baked potatoes), no curry or Mexican food and treated myself to a dessert once or twice a week. I drank so much water that some days I thought I was going to swim upstream and spawn.

One of the reasons I got so big was eating for the enjoyment and the flavours, not because I was hungry. Especially with spicy food. It was nothing for me to have 3-4 helpings of Lamb Vindaloo with about 2 or 3 cups of rice. I would go to a local roadhouse on the way home from work (2 fer 1 wings Mondays and Wednesdays). I could eat Fettucine Alfredo until it was coming out of my ears. We'd go to a great all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet once every couple of weeks and really pig out. At least twice a month we'd go for a brunch at a local pub and would typically have 4 Eggs Benidict, maybe 6 0r 8 sausage links, maybe 1/2 lb of bacon, scrambled eggs, several slices of toast with either jam or peanut butter on 'em, etc. I would come home from work some days and have a bottle of wine gone while cooking supper (or half a fifth of Scotch) by the time the wife got home from work. I could sit in the back yard on a Friday or Saturday night and inhale a dozen beer for fun. I was drinking minimum 12-16 cups of coffee a day. Many days I had a pot gone before anyone else even got to work.

Everything above was just piggery and can't be described as anything else but gross excess.

Now, a typical day of eating for me goes as follows:

Breakfast:
    • A cup of raisin bran with 1/4 cup of bran and 1/2 cup of 1% milk
    • or 1 egg and 1 egg white fried in Pam sprinkled lightly with bacon bits, with a slice of low fat cheese on 2 slices of toasted bread light in fat & calories.

Morning snack:
    • An apple, an orange and a low fat yoghurt

Lunch:
    • A can of sardines in tomato sauce or spring water and 8 pieces of melba toast.
    • Or a 6" veggie sub from Subway with no cheese or mayo.
    • Or a big salad I brought from home and an apple or an orange or something

Afternoon snack:
    • An apple& an orange, or maybe a bananna once in a while

Supper:
    • A 4-5 oz chicken breast, broiled or BBQed with salad and some steamed vegetables
    • A 4-6 oz piece of lean pork. broiled or BBQed with a salad and fresh green beans with pasta sauce on 'em.
    • A lean piece of steak (eye of round, tenderloin, etc) with salad and some vegetables

As you can see, my diet has changed significantly over the past 12 weeks. It has been hard at times, yes, but not as hard as I thought it would be and not even remotely close to giving up smoking cigarettes ( I've done that too, years ago.)

I am going to continue with the weight loss. People ask me what my goal is and right now, I don't know. I'm going for a Body Mass Index test sometime in the next week or so and he'll help me set a realistic goal. Right now I'm thinking 220 lbs, but I don't know.

One other thing, it's expensive to eat healthy. Another expense is clothing. When we came back from Cuba in march, I was in a 44 waist jeans and XXL shirts. Now I'm in 38 jeans and L shirts. I'm spending a small fortune in clothes.

OK, I kind of got carried away. If there's anything else you need, just let me know
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF
    Well congratulations, that crotch-rocket just got a little faster.
    As much as I hate to admit it, she's for sale.

Well Newfie, I'm not going to quote your whole post, but suffice it to say that I am in awe of what you've accomplished. We all know how hard it is to keep to a regiment like that. In fact, I am sure that most all of us have tried at one time or another and failed.

Keep up the good work. It's good to know that you'll be around for a long time!

Mark

That diet is an awsome testimony to your resolve. I think I would begin eating cigars after about a week on that diet .

Congratulations on the weight loss!
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Default Gift Pack in the Mail

CG, your package is on the way.

Canada Post Tracking # CX 079 602 472 CA

Enjoy!!

Blog Entries

You have to feel soooooooooooo much better. Just from cutting out the alcohol and all the coffee consumption. Your body must have been shooting up from the coffee and you come home and need to relax so you begin drinking to cut into the caffeine high. I am very proud of you.
    New clothes are expensive, new clothes in a smaller size, are priceless!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by cinda
    snip....New clothes are expensive, new clothes in a smaller size, are priceless!

Excellent job! I know what you mean about the excess newf. I was doing the same thing. I got into micro brew beer for a while and was coming home with two big (16-22oz) bottles most days of the week. I was getting seconds at dinner, eating fast food for lunch, going out to eat multiple times a week, snacking at night, drinking sugared soda, getting half drunk on the weekends and snacking all day, etc. My wife was making fatty cheesy casseroles all the time. I was up to 334 pounds! I'm 6'2" and could bench about 350 a year or two back, so I'm a pretty big guy, but I was getting obese rather than just overweight. I started tweaking my diet and cutting back. About 1 1/2 years later I'm down to 294. I look like I could still stand to lose another 30 or 40 pounds. I'm not on a diet per say. I just changed the way I eat. Hopefully for good!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Thread Information