Thread: New guy needing some assistance

Default New guy needing some assistance

Hello everyone

New guy here in desperate need of some advice, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a relatively new smoker in the cigar world. By relatively new I mean normally I smoke 2 maybe 3 cigars a year. Mainly because I am afraid of smoking a horrible cigar and not making an educated decision. I know enough that if I don't know what I am doing or what I am buying that it is a gamble finding the right smoke for me. What I am looking for is some knowledge in what kind of cigars are good cigars for a beginner and what I should stock my humidor with when I get it. I like the mild-medium cigars. In the past I have smoked Punch, H Upmann, Macanudo, Cueta Rey, Opus (I think), and a few others that I don't remember. If some one could give me some advice as what I could start out with I would greatly appreciate it.

Louis

Arturo Fuente

Welcome to the board, my favorites include most of the Carlos Torano lines which can be found from $3-7 most of the time. Early in my smoking career (Only about a year ago,) I used to like Baccarat as well, but graduated to more full bodied cigars. Some other good smokes are:
    Ashton classic/cabinet lines
    5 Vegas
    Romeo Y Julieta
    Arturo Fuente

My two cents: Don't be afraid to try new cigars. Find something that looks interesting, is in your price range, and go for it. If you don't like it, at least you'll know. You don't have to be a "Dog Rocket" Scientist. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Good times.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Thank you both for your suggestions, every bit of knowledge I get can do nothing but help.

Good to see you finally made it on here lrharry29

lrharry29 is here at Bagram Afghanistan with me guys...and we have been trying to turn him from a cigarette smoker to a full time cigar smoker...lol

Listen to the advice on here Louis, and let me know if you have any questions...this place is addicting and there is a lot of info in these pages.

Locard, & lrharry,

Thanks for doing what you do for us over there. Do you have an address to recieve packages? I have a bunch of aged mild/medium smokes I know I'm never gonna smoke, so I'd be glad to send 'em your way. They are mostly inexpensive smokes I bought when I first got into cigars, plus a lot of assorted singles I've picked up over time.

You can post the addy here, or email me....bigjackvi @yahoo.com

Joey

Welcome to the board. The Torano 1959 line is excellent, as are the Fuente Chateau's and 858 Flor Fina. Also, what Vitale said - part of the fun is trying out new cigars and finding your favorites.

Many thanks for your service to our country.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Default Thank you

Big Jack,

Thank you for the generous offer. My address is:

Louis Harrison
    455 ESFS
    APO, AE 09354

Thank you again for your generosity.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515
    Arturo Fuente

Well - yes and no...

Fuente GENERALLY has good product, but I'd stay away from the "Curly Heads" - their low end brand. The Don Carlos line is incredible (albeit at tad pricey). I like the 8-5-8's in just about any of their wrappers. Also, if you get a chance - check out the Hemingway line (I like the Signature the best).

Stay away from Macanoodles too - to me, those are like sucking air. Great cigar to give to someone who doesn't really smoke cigars because it's very well constructed and reasonably priced generally, but not for someone who smokes cigars regularly.

Cuesta Rey is nice - kinda/sorta made by the same company as the Fuente product (Newman). If you can lay hands on the Stanford's Cameroon Reserves I think that's about the best in that line.

Check out the Punch Grand Puro - I especially like the Libertad (bigger ring gauge - comes in an aluminum tube).

On the more pricey side - the Diamond Crown is a great cigar. Even better yet are the Diamond Crown Maximus!!!

Partagas Rosado is another of my favorites.

Griffin's are nice - very well constructed, not over powering...

AVO's are incredible - again, very well constructed - very nice flavorful cigar line (especially their limited edition series - LE05, 80th, 75th, 22, etc.)

Also - check out the CAO line, especially the MX2, Criollo, Italia and Brazilia (more on the fuller side).

But, really - most of the fun is trying a new cigar. Your tastes are not going to be my tastes. As you develop your "palate" for cigars, you should start seeing the subtle differences between them - and ultimately those flavors you like and dislike.

And - PLEASE - do not start smoking really cheap cigars just because you want to save money. Cheap cigars are okay once you know your tastes, but can ruin your palate (your ability to discern subtle differences in flavors) if you start out smoking them regularly from the beginning.

And thank you for your service!!!

I'd like to second the guys who suggested Fuente & Torano. Both are some of my favorite brands.

I'd also like to throw in Henry Clay Honduran & H.Upmann Vintage Cameroon. Maybe a bit stronger but if they are, it will be very subtle.

I just want to say that all of you guys are great and extremely helpful, thank you all again for the incredible reception and advice.

Thread Information