Thread: Another Boom on the way?

Blog Entries

Default Another Boom on the way?

It looks like we may be on the way to another Cigar Boom!

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...62&newsLang=en

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 18, 2005--Cigar sales in the U.S. are growing at levels not seen in years, reports Cigar Aficionado magazine. In what appears to be a revival of interest in fine cigars, the imports of handmade premium cigars jumped by 12.3 percent in 2004, sending cigar imports past the 300 million mark for the first time since 1998. The 309 million cigars imported here in 2004 represent the largest percentage growth in the market since 1997 when the cigar boom began to fade. Key to this new cigar market growth is the fact that the quality of today's cigars is superb with many exceptional cigars available at reasonable prices, says Marvin R. Shanken, editor and publisher of Cigar Aficionado.
    The U.S. cigar market started to skyrocket in 1992 after being stagnant for years at about 100 million cigars imported annually. During the ensuing cigar boom, the market eventually reached over 400 million in 1997 but then began to contract when distributors and retailers found themselves overflowing with stocks of imported cigars. After a period of shrinking imports, the market slowly began to stabilize. Cigar imports were flat in 2001, grew a modest 5 percent in 2002 and 4.2 percent in 2003. With 2004's impressive growth, a cigar mini-boom seems to be in progress.

Cigars imported from the Dominican Republic remained by far the largest category, increasing a robust 9 percent, with cigars from Honduras and Nicaragua also experiencing strong growth. The positive results were felt across the board, from the biggest to the smallest cigar companies. Some cigar firms have reported that 2004 was their best year ever, eclipsing even the unprecedented growth of cigar sales in the mid-1990's.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Default Not a Good Sign . . .

If a "boom" is in fact on the way (or already here) that will not be good news for us the consumer. If the demand increases then manufacturers will raise the prices . . . especially if the supply remains unchanged.

Buy'em cheap while we can.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

i think the supply would increase. but that's just my ignorant assumption

If the demand increases it will take some time for the supply to increase to meet that demand. This is true in any supply/demand economic cycle . . . and especially true for cigars since they take so long to produce from growing plant to finished cigar.

If there is a "new boom" the demand will go higher and unless there is a stock pile of stogies not currently in circulation (ie in the retail/wholesale market stream of commerce) the prices may increase as wholesale and retail suppliers will be able to get customers, looking for fine cigars, to pay higher prices.

My 2 cents.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

*nod*

I'm also a retailer so the prospect of another boom gets me excited.

It's kind of like the same situation we are seeing with gas prices. World wide, the demand for oil has sky rocketed. India, China, some of the bigger countries population wise are catching up with the United States in regards to energy consumption. I don't see gas prices dropping in the foreseeable future.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thread Information