Thread: Hard Drive Crash-maybe

Default Hard Drive Crash-maybe

Jeeze, am I one lucky fella. Been meaning to back up the important files on my pooter and been too lazy to get around to it. Well, you guessed it, Sunday night, my computer would not boot. Fiddled with it for hours and just no go.

Went down Tuesday and bought a $60 hard drive, plugged it in, crossed my fingers and SHAZAM the computer booted. I attached the old hard drive as a slave and broke out in a cold sweat when I tried to access it. Lo and behold, I could read the old drive and retrieve all the data-whew!

I'm still not sure if I picked up a boot virus or had a hard drive crash. The drive would cycle through all the post screens and try to load, but then fail. The two previous crashes I have ever seen have been very obvious, the fuzzy screen of death and no worky.

All in all an ok ending to the story .
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Good news! I wasn't so lucky with my hardrive. I lost a lot of digital pics and documents. It's sucks to start over again.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat
    I'm still not sure if I picked up a boot virus or had a hard drive crash. The drive would cycle through all the post screens and try to load, but then fail. The two previous crashes I have ever seen have been very obvious, the fuzzy screen of death and no worky.
    Either way, you probably want to get the stuff off that drive as quickly as possible.

It could be a virus, it could be a physical problem with the MBR. For what hard drives are going for these days, you can pretty much toss the old one and give yourself an upgrade.

Thread Information