Thread: California residents must read !!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation California residents must read !!!

For those living in CA read this and make sure to vote against it !!!!!

Los Angeles, July 21 – At the close of the first day of the Retail Tobacco Dealers of America (RTDA) trade show, more than 100 retailers, manufacturers and distributors gathered for a meeting with none of the excitement or enthusiasm present on the exhibit hall floor.

Instead, they heard from California Association of Retail Tobacconists (CART) President Charles Janigian and others about the danger of California Proposition 86, the Tobacco Tax Act of 2006, which will be on the state’s election ballot in November.

If passes, it would raise the tax on cigarettes by $2.60 per pack and create a $2.27 billion windfall for various health and service agencies, including more funding for the First 5 California organization created by film director Rob Reiner via the passage of Proposition 10 in 1998.

For cigar smokers, the already-unfriendly California scene would turn frigid as the tax on the wholesale price of cigars would rise from 46.76% to approximately 135%! A similar increase would apply to pipe tobacco.

In addition, California smokeshops would face a floor tax on all tobacco inventory on-hand on January 1, 2007, projected to be approximately 88% of the wholesale price. It would sound the death knell for many California retail tobacconists.

A strong grass-roots campaign will be mounted, including information availability at California tobacconists, to ensure that (1) the stakes are understood, (2) that smokers and friends are well informed and (3) go to the polls on election day.

Attendance at the event was strong and enthusiasm to defeat the initiative is high. Given the solid defeats of two initiatives on the California ballot in June, including a Reiner-backed measure to raise taxes on upper-income Californians, the possibilities are promising.

2. Default

It just seems like this kind of legislation hurts local tobacconists.

I'm willing to pay a premium for my B&M, but if its twice MSRP, I'll buy online... Just seems like it hurts businesses...

(Cigarette sales will be what they'll be; most cigarettes are sold at convenience stores which, although they might be hurt, have other business to fall back on)

Sounds like California all right.

I sucks to be a cigar smoker in California thats for sure. Soon I will be paying $15 ea. for my Peach Phillies
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Pretty shitty considering the Governor is a smoker.

I guess he can afford those proposed taxes though. Just chump change to him- like the cost of filling up his Hummers
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

One more reason to stay away from the Peoples Republic of Californication.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information