Thread: GPS Navigation Units?

Default GPS Navigation Units?

Hi Guys,

Have a question - been wanting to get a GPS nav unit - been using the Hertz Neverlost system for work and I love it. So... if anyone has one or a recommendation, lemme know please! I'm looking at the Magellan 760 or 800, but very open to suggestions. Pros/cons, gripes, etc. Been all over cnet and still haven't made up my mind.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    Hi Guys,

Have a question - been wanting to get a GPS nav unit - been using the Hertz Neverlost system for work and I love it. So... if anyone has one or a recommendation, lemme know please! I'm looking at the Magellan 760 or 800, but very open to suggestions. Pros/cons, gripes, etc. Been all over cnet and still haven't made up my mind.

Cheers!
    Heya MauiEd,

Well first of all.. what application do you plan on using the System for? Hiking, Canoeing, Driving, all of the above? This can make a difference on what you should be looking for in a GPS.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    Heya MauiEd,

Well first of all.. what application do you plan on using the System for? Hiking, Canoeing, Driving, all of the above? This can make a difference on what you should be looking for in a GPS.

-W.
    My bad - auto/driving. Thanks!

Hmmm well I'm probably not the best one for advice in that case. Personally I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60. It is mainly for Hiking/Canoing although I do use it in the car. It isn't one of those ones that talk to you and give directions though.. more oldschool navigation ;).

-W.

Default nav4all

I have found a company http://www.nav4all.com They offer a free software which you can download from their website and use it directly on your mobile phone. It is free till august 2006 and then you can subscribe for approximately 0,85 Euro cents a month, thus really cheap. I didnt believe it till I tried it, check it for yourself.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by riley
    I have found a company http://www.nav4all.com They offer a free software which you can download from their website and use it directly on your mobile phone. It is free till august 2006 and then you can subscribe for approximately 0,85 Euro cents a month, thus really cheap. I didnt believe it till I tried it, check it for yourself.
    Actually sounds pretty cool...

Unfortunately, my phone isn't on the list... Anyone else tried it? Looks like a cute enough idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    You in the United Kingdom Superchuck? Because if not, I bet you get lost a lot!

-W.

I've used Garmis GPS units in my planes for years. Started with a GPS 195, then a GPSMAP 196. When that was stolen I upgraded to the GPSMAP 296. Both the 196 and the 296 have an automotive and marine mode as well as an aviation mode. Getting one with the aviation databases in it would be overkill and expensive, unless you are or are planning to be a pilot, but all of the Garmin stuff is built to rigid standards and they are the most popular in the aviation world where dependability is a must.

Whatever you decide on, look for the ability to pick up a large number of satellites, 12 minimum. The more satellites it can receive the better it's going to be at getting and keeping the signal. Also be sure to use the external antenna, as the satellite signal is strictly line of site.

Have fun. They are great little gadgets.

Disclaimer: I do not work for, nor do I have a financial interest in Garmin, (although their stock is looking pretty good!)

Are you still looking for one? Tigerdirect.com has the Lowrance IWAY 500 for $639. and Lowrance has a $100. rebate for that unit until next week. Thats a sweet deal. Bass pro and cabelas sell that unit for $799.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Nah, but thanks for the information - picked up a Magellan Roadmate 800. Love it. New model out has integrated bluetooth and satellite traffic reports, but that's the price of progress.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Nice pick up! Any problems aquiring that first signal when downtown?

I got my wife a Garmin i5 because she wanted a "cute one" and its done pretty well. Has a hard time in the city when around taller buildings. Did great on recent road trips to Atlantic City.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruz1027
    Nice pick up! Any problems aquiring that first signal when downtown?
    nah - it needs about 30 seconds to pick up... and that's about anywhere, but after that, it's been great. Garmin has a nice system - I'm just used to the Hertz Neverlost so I got this one.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    nah - it needs about 30 seconds to pick up... and that's about anywhere, but after that, it's been great. Garmin has a nice system - I'm just used to the Hertz Neverlost so I got this one.
    I used a Neverlost last week... That thing was GREAT on travel.

I used the Yellow Pages function to find a Radio Shack, which saved my ass.

Do most GPS nav units have that kind of functionality?

(I can't wait for Google to come out with nav software for mobile phones)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    I used a Neverlost last week... That thing was GREAT on travel.

I used the Yellow Pages function to find a Radio Shack, which saved my ass.

Do most GPS nav units have that kind of functionality?

(I can't wait for Google to come out with nav software for mobile phones)
    Yeah - most do - shopping, restaurants, etc. by categories, zipcode, city, you get the idea. I find it pretty easy to use.

There *IS* a software that turns most phones into GPS - free of charge - I just have to dig it up.

I was riding in a friends car last week, and he had the Magellan 300. I was impressed enough to go out and order the 360, which is the same unit, but with national coverage. Its very similar to the neverlost system, and ran me only $300 bucks, shipped.

Thread Information