Thread: noob questions

1. Default noob questions

i smoked a alcazar maduro after dinner today, and it was almost good to the last drop it was a sizable torpedo (im new so not sure if im using the correct term here), it got me thinking, are there added chemicals in cigars to prolong the burn, like in cigs? or is the cigar so fat that it burns that slow naturally? another question, is cutting the cap with a swiss army knife okay? does it affect thickness of the smoke when exhaling? do some of you guys inhale the smoke? or is it an absolute no no? thank you all for being patient with me...im still green.
    -bardock

No chemicals added to a good cigar. They should burn according to the quality of the tobacco and the roll job. It burns slow because of the amount of tobacco and the tightness of the roll. I don't think they add chemicals to make cigarettes smoke longer necessarily. I always thought the majority of the chemicals were to make it burn even, and not go out. *shrug* Any chemical is too much chemical for me now a days:)

Cutting the cap with a swiss army is fine. I'd make sure it is sharp:) And try not to cut past the "cap" of the cigar. If you look at the closed end closely, it is wrapped down only a certain amount. Cut past that point and you might risk unraveling the cigar. Inhaling is purely opinion. Some do some don't. But I personally don't recommend it. I couldn't smoke one of my big cigars if I even inhaled a few puffs of it. I would be smoked out in no time. I smoked cigarettes for a long time and I also smoked a lot of pot:) Still, inhaling cigars is too much. I'd put it on par with tasting wine or chewing tobacco. It's about the taste....

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Cool

hello bardock! to answer you questions:

1. cigars are an all natural product. no additives, no chemicals, no whatever. just the plain 'ol good brown leaf and some moisture to make it smokable. that is why you would notice that a cigar left unpuffed for more than five minutes tends to stop burning. cigarettes have chemicals to promote burning, and it does burn down to the filter even if unattended to. man, just writing about that already sounds sickening.

cigars are bunched and rolled at just about the right pressure to help it draw and burn at just the right rate, as we experience with a good cigar. that's why improperly rolled cigars either tend to have a really hot draw and burn fast (too loose) or are difficult to draw on and to keep lit (too tight). when they're just right, they smoke great.

2. id recommend using a double-bladed guillotine cutter for cutting your stogies. they are very cheap and reliable. but if you still do prefer your swiss army knives and haven't had any problems with it, then you're fine. i find that the thickness of the smoke you get from the cigar is more affected by the draw quality than the cut that you have.

please do not inhale your cigar smoke. not only is this very unpleasant, but this is pure, unadulterated and unfiltered strong tobacco smoke that will get into your lungs. not a good idea. i know some who do inhale (exhale some and take in the rest) for that extra nicotine kick or buzz. again, this is up to you. at least now you know the risks associated with inhaling cigar smoke. concentrate on tasting the flavors of the smoke on every draw, then release it slowly from your mouth. i do like smelling the burning tip of the cigar, waving some of the smoke under my nose from time to time for better appreciation of the aromas and flavors.
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

4. Default

im a 8 year cigarette smoker, quit cold turkey for 4 months now, i picked up cigar smoking for health reasons...i always heard that your not supposed to inhale cigar smoke, but the second good cigar i ever bought (montecristo v series), i inhaled every puff...my rationale was, man, for 12 dollars, i better get every single tinge of smoke, hahahaha...im cheap as you can see....hahaha, maybe frugal is a better word. anyway, im glad i found this forum, all your help if much appreciated! thanks!!!
    bardock

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bardock
    but the second good cigar i ever bought (montecristo v series), i inhaled every puff...
    man, you are one tough guy. i'd be reeling after the first one!
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chrisboy
    man, you are one tough guy. i'd be reeling after the first one!

hahaha, tough i am far from, stupidity is more like it...havent inhaled a puff since then

Blog Entries

Roham summed it up perfectly for you

And chrisboy shares my opinion as well, I'd be DYING if I ever inhaled cigar smoke

I personally don't use a DBG (double bladed guillotine), I prefer a punch. Now, I would strongly recommend a DBG or your SAK for a torpedo but I hardly ever smoke those vitolas and when I do, I pull out my el cheapo DGB to clip them.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 04-21-2005 at 01:49 AM.

The tobacconist used a punch for one of my cigars once. I liked it but I have gotten use to using the DBG. I should go pick one up and try it a few more times..... Why do you like the punch better coventry???

chrisboy's post is great...i agree with the whole thing....I also agree with coventry about the punch cutter, since I have gotten mine I have pretty much used it for all my smokes. I still use my DBG cutter now and then, but the punch is my main cutter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    The tobacconist used a punch for one of my cigars once. I liked it but I have gotten use to using the DBG. I should go pick one up and try it a few more times..... Why do you like the punch better coventry???
    Well, I got used to using one when I pretty much smoked only DC's that were 52 ring or fatter. I think that a punch does a better job with a large ring cigars.

Since I have a propensity to lose things (like lighters and cigar cutters ) I figure I'm just wasting money buying expensive accessories AND I like to keep a punch cutter and a lighter in each car and in my basement (where I smoke in the house). So instead of buying five DBG's and five fancy lighters, I buy Zippos and 44 Magnum Punch cutters. The 44 Magnum Punch cutters only cost about $15.00 and go on a key ring making it easy to find when I'm driving.

And as I mentioned, I buy cheaper lighters so when I lose them, it's not like I lost a real nice lighter. Of course over the years, guess how many Zippos I've acutally lost:

NONE but I tell ya, the minute I spend $100.00+ on a lighter, I can almost guarantee you I'l lose it.

Well I got off track a little but since I got used to using a punch, I guess it's my preference now even thought I smoke mostly 46 ring cigars now (and once in a while I smoke 42 ring minutos or marevas).

you use a zippo for cigars? i did not enjoy it the time i did that

same here on the zippo thing. Fluid lighters definitely screw up the flavor of your smokes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey
    same here on the zippo thing. Fluid lighters definitely screw up the flavor of your smokes.
    No they don't. That's just an urban legend. It's all in your mind. I've run this experiment with people before where we light a cigar with a fluid lighter, and a butane lighter (when they don't know which one we used) and I've never come across anyone who can "taste" the lighter fluid. Of course when they KNOW it's a fluid lighter they claim they can but when they don't know (by blindfolding them or having them insert the cigar through a piece of wood or cardboard where their view is blocked) they've never been able to consistently tell the difference.

It's funny watching them try and guess

im still green.

You will be green if you inhale

I ditto all of the above comments.

Welcome to the board.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

I was once told by a FOG that there is no reason to inhale a cigar, it is all about the flavor and you don't have any tastebuds in your lungs...

As for a Zippo, I love em and use it whenever it is possible. A torch is still best for when you're outside and it's a little windy...

Just my 2¢

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    I was once told by a FOG that there is no reason to inhale a cigar, it is all about the flavor and you don't have any tastebuds in your lungs...

As for a Zippo, I love em and use it whenever it is possible. A torch is still best for when you're outside and it's a little windy...

Just my 2¢
    Yeah, those supposed "wind proof" Zippos don't exactly live up to that at times I hardly ever smoke outside so I don't have those problems. I smoke in the car or in my finished basement where I have a hepa filter. You'd never know I smoke in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114

Just my 2¢

Has anyone tried those replacement inserts for zippos? fits in a standard zippo, but it's a butane torch lighter....their fairly cheap, but I have yet to find anyone who has actually tried one out.

Thread Information